New Shopper needing help with amp choices?

Username: Gdogg21

Forest Grove, Oregon U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Hey you guys, I'm new to this site, not entirely new to car audio though. I have recently purchased a pair or Eclipse SW9102 10" subwoofers that I want to put in the back of my Jeep Wrangler. I haven't decided, as well as don't know if 2 is really necessary or not. I'm not against only putting 1 in, seeing as this is a daily driver and I'm not into any competitions or anything. I am trying to decide what amplifier to buy and if I should run 1 or 2 of those subs, and 1 ohm 2ohm or what. I have a pretty small amp budget, hopefully I can get something worthwhile that'll last, and give those subs sufficient WRMS .. for around $300.00 ... if really worth it I could probably stretch it to $400.00. I'd like to get it new, but if it's a nice amp am not against getting it off of ebay. Also would like the amp to be able to run both options; 1 sub or both of them if need be. Thanks you guys for the help in advance!

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 845
Maybe a NINe.1. They are on nice n cheap right now. $295 I think. 1200W RMS at 12.5V.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply, I was actually thinking about that amp. I heard those subs distort if you don't give them sufficient power, and mine does that. I am planning on changing out my 4 AWG wiring kit to a 0/1 AWG. I hope it sounds pretty good? I am also going to upgrade my alternator, but it won't be for a couple months. If I don't play this thing loud everyday, would my alternator be alright to handle this load for a little while, in your opinion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 846
I imagine you'd be fine. Just gotta watch your voltage drop and adjust the volume accordingly, right? The distortion would be from cranking it up beyond what your head unit/amp can do. Otherwise, you'd have distortion anytime you didn't have it at max. No problem man, I noticed this thread had been here a while with no reply. Enjoy it . There's nothing like music.

Post Number: 3
Yeah I have the Pioneer 7750mp or whatever.. and the EQ is set up -3 low pass filter, and -2 on the bass level or whatever. So I have one more question, I am putting in a new amp 0 AWG kit with a splitter(in case I want to add an additional amp later) and I have a 2 Fared Capacitor, how to i install the system? I mean, do I run the power cable, then the cap and then the splitter? Or would the cap go after the splitter?
Yeah, I was wondering what i said that was wrong or something since no one was replying to it, even though 3 or 4 threads after mine had multiple replies on them. Thanks for all your help Cam, I was thinking about the ED nine.1... do you know how that is on SQ?

Post Number: 4
Are those ED amps true RMS or are they a little higher/lower then that? And would one of those run both subs, at 1 ohm, or should I only put 1 sub on 1 of those amps at 2 ohm at 900 RMS?

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
They're known to be a little underrated. I think someone's did 1600W at 14V. Personally, I'd run both. They're dual 4 Ohms VC's, so run it at 1 ohm. If it's too hard on the alternator turn it down a little. I was considering one of those a while ago, so I email eD to ask about the efficiency at 4 ohms etc. They said the NINe.1 is not that much more efficient at 4 than it is at 1 Ohm.

I wouldn't worry about SQ. Apparently some amps have distinct sounds, but I don't even know if that includes sub amps.

For your cap, read this:
http://www.caraudiobook.com/car_audio_power_capacitors/car_audio_power_capacitor _installation.htm
Goes in before the splitter.

I'd suggest reading that site in it's entirety. That's what I did when I started with this and it taught me a lot. It's a lot easier to answer more complicated questions when the person asking is slightly educated. Have fun.

Post Number: 6
You'd run both subs off that amp? Isn't it 1200x1 at 1 ohm which wouldn't that give each sub 600 rms? Yeah, I have actually ran across that website before. However I just wasn't quite sure if the cap should go before the splitter because I am going to be putting my sony 2200GTX amp on my other speakers(6x9's in my soundbar, 5 1/4's in my dash, soon to be 6.5's in the kickpanels). I want to run those off of my sony amp, just wasn't sure if the cap should be connected to both of the amps or not, since it's main job is for the sub amp wasn't sure if the other amp would draw any current from it lowering it's ability to power the sub amplifier. Lasty, the subwoofer box I currently have the sub in is about 3.4 ft3 before displacement of the subs, not sure of the displacement of those subs, is there anywhere to find the displacement of those subs? I want to make sure the box could hold both subs efficiently, which is one reason I was even considering only running one sub. I have heard those subs need as little as .75 ft3 to run effectively. At which case, the box should be big enough and then some. I appoligize if some of the questions sound dumb, it's just I do understand some of what is going on, but I want to be sure of what I don't understand, and want to get the right stuff and hook it all up right the first time, instead of trial and error and never asking for help. Thanks again Cam, obviously you were the only one who responded so I really do appreciate it. I've been looking forward to upgrading this system for about 2 years now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
Yup, honestly you won't notice all that much of a difference between the full 750W and 600W. Just set your gains properly and you should be fine. Once you get a new alternator, you should be able to hold ~14V, then you'll get a good 700W to each sub. If that box is sealed then it's a little big. Try putting some phone books in there, to take up a little room. Add one give it a listen, add another, give it a listen, etc. I wouldn't really even worry about the capacitor. If you really want to hook it up, put it before or after the splitter. If you think about the way current flows, from negative to positive, I'm not sure if it even matters where you put it... Hmmm... I'd just leave it out I think. Once you get a new alternator, then you can put it in and it will help with spikes and dips in voltage.

Post Number: 7
Ok, that sounds like a plan. Well I think I will be getting that amp here within the next like 2-3 weeks hopefully.. should be getting some mula for my b-day comming up here. Thanks for all your help again, cam. Really do appreciate it, and I'll let you know when I get it all in and together and how I like it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 876
Hey, man, I gotta thank you for not being cocky. Much easier to help people who are willing to learn.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us