First Time 2 Amp Hook Up

Username: Blackdouglas76

Post Number: 1
OK,

I am just wanting to have some bass for me. I am not wanting to impress anyone or turn heads, but I have never hooked up two amps before. I did hook up the subs and amp that I have now.

I have a 2 chan 760W pioneer Amp that gives off 125x2 RMS on two Kicker C10 Comps (2006). Everything 4ohms.

I want to add another Amp, the same one (4ohms)with 2 Kicker XPLs. I was going to wire them in a series because they are 2ohm. These were the first XPLs to come out 100 years ago, but they are still in very good condition. Will wiring in a series pull the 4 or 2 ohm specs from the amp? 125x2 RMS or 190x2 RMS? I don't have any information on them due to age, not even looking them up on Google tells me much. They are NOT the ones with the big red X on the sub.

Will this be too much power being drawn from a 125 amp alt? 125 amps x 40% leaves me 50 amps to play with. The combined total of all four 10" Subs is around 500 watts RMS depending on what the 2 subs in a series does. Each Amp is sucking up around 13 amps according to my math, but I don't know much about installation? Can someone check my math? I have a 2007 ext. Chevy Colorado. According to my math, I shouldn't need a capacitor. If it would keep stress off my alt, what size should I get 1.0? I do not want to hurt my truck or change the current alt. Should I give up this project before I get too into it?

Now, what grade of power cable? 2 or 4 gauge? I am guessing 4. Can I use 8 gauge to run to both amps from the distribution block?

Will my receiver need a relay? Will I need to consider installing a crossover between the two amps, or will the distribution block suffice? What size fuse needs to be in the battery fuse and what size fuse needs to be in the 3 way distribution block? Each of my pioneer amps has 2x30A fuses. Total of 120A.

Thanks to anyone that can help me. Please don't guess. Only reply if you are a seasoned veteran.

Peace

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2908
"Will my receiver need a relay?" No
"Will I need to consider installing a crossover between the two amps, or will the distribution block suffice?" D-block only 4 awg in, and 8 is ok out. Just a 150 amp fuse at the bat. Stock alt should be fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us