HO Alt , Good Deal or No?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 590
I just found a 160 amp HO Alt for a 96 Grand Prix for $225. Is that a good deal or a rip?

Also, if I ran an alt like that, would it overload my stock battery or would it be fine?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5242
good price, but where's it from? and you can run your stock battery, but remember you have to do the big 3 when upgrading the alt.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 591
Here is the web site where I found it:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/domaltindex.cfm

Technically, wouldn't it be a Big 2 upgrade if I don't change the battery???

Speaking of batteries, I don't plan on keeping my stock battery forever. What im confused on with my battery is which battery to buy. Ive looked into Kenetics and Optima batteries but, I can't find any info if it would even fit. Anyone know of a battery that would work with a 96 Grand Prix???

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 592
Also, I'll be running anywhere from 1200-1500 Watts to the amplifier once I find the right one :/

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5247
no, it's still the big 3. the big 3 is a changing/replacing of wires, not the battery. as for the alt., haven't read to many things of knus' alt.s. (several people said to stay away though, but not sure why). why not go with a more established company? cheapest isn't always the best. or try them out and give a review.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5248
"Also, I'll be running anywhere from 1200-1500 Watts to the amplifier once I find the right one :/"

wtf?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 595
well, this is the first time ive ever heard of them so im not really too sure what to expect. For spending over $200 on an alt, I wouldn't mind spending alittle more to get something that I know will give me what I need. Which company do you have in mind? And would 160 be too much for my wattage range? I think 120-130 would run good to right?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 596
lol, what do you mean wtf? Did I confuse you?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5249
so your sending watts to your amp?

but for an alt., never heard anything really bad of iraggi or mean green. lots of people also run excessive amperage alts. to. or if you're lucky a place near you can rebuild your alt. to a ho alt. and getting as big as alt. as you can never hurts, just one less thing you have to upgrade if you ever upgrade your system.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 599
lol, alright. Ive actually had excessive amperage's web page on my bookmarks for awhile now. I'll have to send them a message for a price quote sometime. And what do you mean by, rebuild my alt? Can someone take my alt and turn it into a 120+ alt???????

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5250
yeah, call around and you may get lucky.

also, h-o alternators have a good rep., from what i've seen.
sales@highoutputalternator.com

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 600
cool, thanx

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4945
Joe, for the info on batteries and fitting issues, talk to Jake Hill from j designs cuz he owns a pontiac and maybe he knows the deal.

You should do the Big 3 with 0AWG so you don't have to upgrade in the future.

1500w rms with 160A= Great combo, good voltage if installed/prepared properly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us