Battery set up...is this right?

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 938
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/44killer44/?action=view&current=charging system.jpg

so im getting my ho alt soon, 200amp/150ish idle, currently have 130amp stockalt for my explorer it does good at 2000-3000rpm but isnt keeping up during idle, so thats why im getting the ho alt, question is im gunna run it jsut the new ho alt with yellow top and big 3 under the hood, but i want to run a two battery set up, and buy a red top, to go under the hood and put the yellow top in the rear near my amps (gunna get the red top cuz i already have the yellow and wont have to buy two new batteries and can get optimas pretty cheap) so main questoin will this do anything/improve my system, and is the diagram i drew the correct way to do it...

Bronze Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 19
i would not ground your amp threw your battery .ground it seperatley i dont thank that is safe but im not for sure and wouldnt take the chance either

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 939
ive seen alot of experienced ppl on here using the bat - as there amp ground....i actually remember hearing thats its better then grounding to the chassis....

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 940
bump...

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 857
killer, that is right.
I have mine just like that, except without the isolator.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 941
so is the isolator a better route to go...i want to able to play my system with my car off and still have the starting battery fully charged so im not stranded...and a couple other questions, if i dont have the isolator, would it drain one battery then move on to the other, or would it drain them both at the same time...? secondly the little black boxes i drew on the power wire are fuses, are they in the right places...do i need other ones in different spots...? and lastly can i ground the rear battery to the same spot i grounded my amps?...thanks

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 942
nite bump...

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 943
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/44killer44/?action=view&current=charging .jpg

drew a new pic without the isolator, and jsut wondering if its all good like that...the blue circles now represent the fuses, should i have more then those two..if yes were do i put them...thanks..

Silver Member

Post Number: 858
Killer that will work perfect. 2 fuses is the right amount.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 944
thanks alot nick...is it cool if the second fuse, giong from the rear battery to the amp, is a fused distrobution block instead of a inline fuse like the one close to the front battery...

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
Yeah, it should be cool. Just make sure there is a short amount of wire between the battery and it. The extra battery should help you ALOT.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 945
thanks alot nick, ill be sure to post pics when i get it done, should be in the next couple weeks...anyone (including nick) know if i would be able to run the 3250.1/another amp around 4000rms on this electrical set up later down the road...?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 946
jsut a couple more questions, wanna do this right so nothgin goes wrong...1-can i ground the rear bat to the same spot i grounded my amps? 2- without the isolator do both batteries drain at the same time, or does it drain one, then the other? 3-and lastly would i be able to run 4000rms or say a 3250.1 on this electrical set up in the future....thanks alot for the help

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4825
As long as you have a clean ground you'll be fine.You should always have a ground coming from the chassis anyways.

"i would not ground your amp threw your battery .ground it seperatley i dont thank that is safe but im not for sure and wouldnt take the chance either"
Dude...do you realize how many guys have huge distribution blocks and bus bars that have everything grounded together?My amps and batts share a common ground and there's no problem at all.It usually all goes to the same place anyways...it should go to the chassis.As long as you have a good clean ground you'll be fine.Just make sure all connections are snug as well and make sure to mount those batteries so they can't move around.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 947
thanks alot rob, and u know if ill be able to use the same alt and two batts when i try to run around 3500-4000rms down the road...?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4833
Honestly,you can get away with it but you have to be careful when running that kind of power.If I were you I'd get a larger battery bank because I think you'd end up dumping way too fast and possibly clipping but get yourself a voltmeter and just make sure you never drop below 12 volts.If you're a careful or responsible user you'll be fine killer.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 949
yeah im very carefull with my equipment, even tho its not the most expensive, ive worked pretty hard to get it and would like to keep it aslong as possible, u jsut brought up one last question, i got a voltmeter already hooked up, but its hooked up to the front battery, will i need another one, or wil i have to hook it up another way, im thinking i should be fine with one, cuz the batts are connected, but jsut want to be sure...thanks again rob for the help....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4841
Well,we can talk more on AIM and I'll give you a few bits of advice and tips and my SN is Getripped84 .You're welcome and I help when I can.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 951
thats cool man thanks but i dont have aim....all i use is msn messenger....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4842
If I were you I'd hook the voltmeter at the amp to see exactly what kind of power it's getting.If your rear battery ever loses connection with the charging line you wouldn't know because your voltmeter is hooked up at the front battery.

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 129
Just for clarification on the location of your ground, in order for the DC circiut to function, there must be both a positive and negative, obviously. Since the battery is where this orriginates from, it would only make sense that a direct connection to the source is the ideal application. The only way that the chassis becomes part of the system is when the battery is connected to it.

Check out the new DD batteries, I don't know of their quality, but the have some awsome distribution terminals on them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us