Please help me with choosing the right amp

Username: Knxt

Post Number: 1
Hey all I'm fairly new to this car audio stuff. I've got two Kicker S15 L5's with dual 4ohm voice coils, each are 750wRMS and 1500w peak. It says I can parallel wire for a 2ohm load or series wire for an 8ohm load. I want an amp that can get me the most out of the two subs so I was wondering if there were any suggestions and which wiring option to use? I was looking into the Kicker ZX1500.1 amp. If it says it runs at 1500w at 2ohms, and parallel wiring the sub provides a 2ohm load, would I be able connect both subs to it at 2ohms and get 750w each? Or am I misunderstanding this stuff? This is all new to me and it's kind of confusing. Also, would a 1.5 farad capacitor be enough for a setup such as this? I'd appreciate any help with this. Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Csuho

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 48
that zx1500 wouldn't be good for those subs since with them you only get a 16ohm load, 4ohm load, 1ohm load,

if you wanted to stay with a kicker amp i would look into a kx1200.1 since it should be a nice amount of power for them L5's or the sx1250.1.

you could also look into a db drive speed series 1500.1 possibly sundown.

i don't like caps. for the price of a cap you can get an extra battery which would be more help than a couple of caps.

Post Number: 2
Hey thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to look those up.

By the way, I was also wondering, would connecting two subs with 2ohm load to a mono amp produce a 4ohm load or stay at 2ohms?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12804
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Csuho

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 49
i didn't follow what ur trying to do. with those subs ur only gonna get a 16ohm load, 4ohm load, or 1ohm load.

if u got the dual 2s u would get a 8ohm load, 2ohm load or .5ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 211
Do you have a budget? The zx1500 will work nicely, but they are a bit expensive.

Post Number: 3
Ohhh thanks. Those diagrams really helped a lot.

I don't have a budget but nothing too high priced.

Would you guys recommend an MTX TA81001? It says 1500w @ 1ohm so that would work well with my subs, correct?

Also, would an amp of 1600w be okay or would it be too much power?

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 212
That amp will work fine. If anything its better to have an amp too big than too small imo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us