W7 VS CVX

Username: Moz

Post Number: 1
Both 12" i have the CVX and love them but the specs are better than the W7. everyone talks them up but are they really that good?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12760
why only these 2 subs??? There are sooooooo many subs that would destroy both in every category.. including price

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1720
I have owned CVX's and I would take the W7 over them anyday.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 314
W7 SQ FTW

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1317
There are a few other subs :-)

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2597
SI Mag
RL-s

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6467
I doubt other subs can "destroy" JL12W7 in a HO box.
The problem with lot of so called "opinions" or "rumors" is that, no one actually compares 2 comparable subs side by side, in identical environment. Because of the today's technology, no manufacturer will produce anything that's significantly better than another for half the price. If that were the case, Pyramid/Sony would be on top of the world.
So please, be careful with your words.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1103
I would take the JL 12w7 any day.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4806
"I would take the JL 12w7 any day."

Until they ask you for the price they cost.

Bronze Member
Username: Talon01

York, Pa Usa

Post Number: 94
the jl is the better of the 2 but they are right so many other one to be had and better. also cheaper

Gold Member

Post Number: 4824
Don't get me wrong the W7 is a good sub but I don't think it's great.The price is too high for me to think I'm getting what I paid for.I'd rather run DD,enough said.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6468
Scott, be careful. There aren't that many subs that can out perform JL W7 sub. Some will come close, some might be better, but as I have stated, none will "destory" W7.
If you know something that no one else does, then do post the brand/models of them.
I've heard and tested enough to know that, human ears are not that accurate, therefore, it'll be much harder to say something something is "way" better than W7. Trust me, you can try it out for yourself.
Do a blind test. That way you won't be baised.
JL products are expensive for a reason, just as Zapco is. You can't compare Porsche with Corvette and say Porsche sucks cause it costs too much. Corvette is a good car, has very powerful engine, and goes as fast as Porsche, but it's not Porsche. The point I'm trying to make is, you can not just compare specs and say something sucks based on it/them.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15157
corvette cost more in germany than porsche does there.

also jl is expensive for a reason. its the name. honestly if scott atwell from fi audio built a 12w7 exactly the same and called it something else, you think he could sell it for what jl audio is selling? no. not saying jl is cheap. hell no cause i have heard many installs with the w7 driver and it is a very impressive driver. the sq is awesome at the same time the output is nice. but is it worth the 700 dollar price tag? no. 1000 bux if you want the ho box with it. just too expensive.

i would put my sound splinter rl-s driver against a 12w7 in a blind test anyday. you can't compare the sq. the w7 might outperfom in output but in sq it don't even come close.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2600
Once again I would take one of these subs over a JL W7 12"

SI Mag
RL-s

Why spend more money when you don't need to.

Bronze Member
Username: Talon01

York, Pa Usa

Post Number: 96
i was actually comparing it to a dls as my friends car is all dls you might know him leonard day previous year iasca world champion for sq but yes i would put a dls or sound splinter or evev dd
up against it.but i never said anything would crush it

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1629
a lot of people on this forum believe what the few say that w7's suck yadda yadda yadda....

JL Audio makes great products and the w7 is an all around amazing driver...I know many on here know that, but I just hate how people give it such a bad name

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6750
the jl audio is alil expensive for some reasons...

alot of high respectable people have them and makes them more attractable.....

they are made especially for rich/respectable/hi fi people juzz like mcintosh, martin logan and others...

when you DO buy from a official retailer you get from jl audio the best customer support you cant get any where period.

you get a unique product that alot of other people juzz cant afford...
juzz have this for example.. if a guy buys a i dont know a pair of kicker l7s and you have a pair of w7s he takes a look at yoru subwoofers.. what you think hes gonna say????

hes gonna say ha ha ah what such a waste of money... why you think he said that??? because he dont have the money to buy them and wants his system to look and sound more impressive than yours....

if everyone had the money to buy jl audio w7 all this tread will be a diferent thing...all this people refering the w7 :-)

if you have the money and you care about quality... and have respectable products u willg et jl audio....

if you have the mentality of joey then you can chose other brands....

is all about what you want and what you have...

personally i think the jl audio is worth it... WHY??? because even if you dont believe me... the jl audio w7 have like a distic sound from other woofers that very sound makes the jl audio w7 sound warm loud smooth aggressive at the same time thats why i like it so much...

the jl audio w7 took 10 years of high end research for a reason... and the jlaudio w7 has been out for a long time and its gonna continue to be out and unlike other manufactures keep updating their product.... jl audio is confident about their 10 year research of the jl audio w7.... other manufactures keep updating their product to attract/and or make people buy their new products.. and still they cant outperform jl audio :-) alot of people keep on puttin the jl audio brand as the brand to beat... and jl audio is still the king of high end car audio...

look elemental designs.. they tried to copy jl audio w7 basket wich is a super cool basket that offers superb cooling... and they almost got sued... alot of people tried to copy their w cone and they failed... they keep on copying their cones (ascendant audio, extreme audio and others) they keep on copying their processor juzz like the cleansweep came rockford,alpine and others had to do that....

if you think 10 years of research was a waste think again....

and all their patents are worthless well think again...

their subwoofers are super cool... i mean take the jl audio w7 for example... that subwoofer is made with 1000 rms on mind... alot of subwoofers to outperform the jl audio 13w7 needs around 2500 or 3000 watts.. people often misunderstand the rms term while comparing the jl audio to other woofers.... the jl audio w7 was made for people who wants one of the best looking and one of the best sounding woofers... you dont have to upgrade yoru electrical to achive awesome sound from jl audio 1000/1 and a 13w7....

also you think the jl audio is not a cool sub??? well pete from teamtoxic bass did 155 at the dash legal with 3200 rms with two w7 while it was able to play music at the very best quality....

want the jl audio w7??? well go for it if you have the money...

you dont want to spend much money well theres bunch of other brand that will suit your needs :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15159
where did you copy and paste that from man. the grammar is good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6751
oh thank you but i did not copied from anywhere......dont mess with it :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15160
fyi.....i can afford a w7.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6061
fyi.....i cant afford one

hell i cant even afford half of one lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6753
well get one.. cuz i cant afford a w7 :-( thats one of my favorite subwoofers of all time and i still cant afford it :-( i know you rich chad u spent like 300 bucks on silent murder and well im a be honest im broke right now u know..

and another interesting is that i work for a jl audio retailer and i STILL cant afford one :-(

jl audio is very strict with their retailers man.... i mean to carry jl audio you have to do a first purchase of 10k in jl audio products and they send people to check your shop out because if they dont like your shop or you dont have the customer support enough they will deny your shop man.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15161
thats the thing man. i don't want one. not after listening to my rl-s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6755
cool man i hope dont change your mind :-)

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1705
i hate JL nuthuggers.
one of my best friends has the 12W7 in Jl's HO box on a 1000/1 and im nowhere near impressed. (in a montero)

theres many drivers id take over a W7 if you compared drivers underpriced and overpriced
Fi BL/BTL/Q
RD alpha
Si Mag
Kicker CVX
DD 35/95

Gold Member

Post Number: 6759
so you hate me uh??

Gold Member

Post Number: 6469
Chad you're missing the point. JL W7 isn't just about the name. If that were the case, people will sooner or later catch on.
As for your notion that, if joe blow from a corner store made W7, it would be way cheaper. Well if joe blow had to do R & D, it'll still end up costing a lot.
Don't exaggerate/over simply the sub manufacturing process to make a point.
I'll try and use the Porsche and Corvette as an example so you can understand.
This is your perception:
if scott atwell from fi audio built a Porschesame and called it something else, you think he could sell it for what Porsche is selling?
Can you now see how odd your statement is?
When a person buys Porsche, they're not paying thousands of dollars for the name alone. So for you to say JL only charges a lot for the name is incorrect. Seriously think about it. Look at the overall picture. Don't get sucked into JL bashing. I used to hate JL cause of their high prices, but after testing W7, their warranty program, and craftsmanship, I've concluded that there is value for the money.

If you turned JL/Zapco into a car manufacturer, such as Porsche/Ferrari, then I'm sure no sane person would come on here and say such and such no name car is way better than Porsche/Ferrari cause it's just as fast at half the price.
If you're asking me why I'm using cars for comparison, that's cause almost every guy can understand that. Very easy to follow with no bs.

Before anyone else takes my post the wrong way, read carefully before reacting. I never said JL was the best, nor made any statements that it'll "destroy" all other subs in the market. All I tried to do was make a point that, JL did produce a good product, and it's high price had merit, although there are other good alternative subs at a lower cost, it will not perform 2x better than what most JL haters hope for.
Sometimes it gets quite difficult sharing facts/opinions/views on this forum cause there are too many people with biased minds. I don't see how that helps anyone.
If anything I said is incorrect, then prove me wrong.
I have JL 12W7 in a HO box. If you think there's a sub that can "destroy" it, then let me know. So far, when compared in an identical environment, it's hard to detect just by listening. This is my honest opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6761
for another example....

a jl audio make it like a veyron and x subwoofer is a f1 car and put speed as loudness.....

is not too much of a difference loudness and ull see the f1 will eat much more gas(lets make it like watts) but once u find the extras of the veryon ull see that the price is acceptable,since u will find the extras like class,features,warranty,durability,style,design,easy of use,etc etc ;)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15162
first of all i didn't say a joe blow from the corner. i was talking about scott atwell the owner of fi audio and the guy that designed the re subs. i think he is more than capable of creating something like the w7. of course if he was to copy and make one, it would be expensive cause he won't save on buying parts in bulk.

also you keep comparing the 12w7 to a porsche. which model?

if you know a jl dealer and you are close enough with the owner for him to tell you about the jl subs then ask him how much they pay to jl audio. he will tell you their margin is more than double. why? cause jl audio wants the dealers sell them at a high retail price so it will be considered a high end model.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2251
once again, i kinda agree with lilrob.

the w7 is an AWESOME sub that doesnt need a billion watts.

and when they started producing them they knew their main consumers were gonna be the group of people who were NOT looking for the price tag.

a quick example:

i needed to buy a chop saw today. when i went to buy one i was showed some nice regular ones up to 200 bucks and then i was showed some nicer metal blade saws that costed 300 and up and required metal blades that cost up to 500 bucks.

although the metal blade chop saw was an amazing saw and the blades last almost as long as the machine i still walked out of there with just a $180 dewalt.

i loved my 8w7 while i had it. it hit fairly low and got pretty damn loud...

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1768
I loved my 12" w3's. In my top 3 of the subs that I've heard or owned. But for the price that I payed for those, I got my Q 15's. And I like my Q's better.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1635
my buddy had a 12w7 in HO box on a 500/1 and it put up a fight against my 2 12" SSDs on a zx1500 (benched at nearly 1700) and obviously it dusted me in sq, but i swear it seemed like it slammed ahrder than my ssd's......aka 500 watts vs 1700

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1636
for example.....

why buy a porsche 911 when you could get a wrx sti for a 1/3 the price. the sti could put up a fight in almost every single category. the sti is a workhorse. its put to use in almost any application. It's a rally car, it's a road racer, and it's 0-60 is rediculous. Many would ask why someone would waste 70k extra dollars on a porsche. It's because porsche has decades of R&D and years and years of experience and driving a porsche is an experience. everything about the car's is smooth, every line, perfectly designed. the car is not just a piece of machinery, it is the epitome of perfection. not to mention, it could smoke most things on the road BEFORE the winding part of the road.

the sti has functionality. a big azz wing. a big turbo. 6 spd tranny and all wheel drive and big damn disc brakes and a balls to the wall mentality. It gets the job done, but im sorry gentleman, but a porsche is a porsche. a subaru is well...its a subaru....

im officially up way too late lol

Post Number: 5
i have been hearing a lot about HO box what is HO??

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
HO-high output

what does R&D mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6771
cal payne what are you talking about????

porsche 911 is totally diferent than the wrx

the wrx is a all wheel drive front engine car... the porsche is a rear engine all wheel drive that put thems in a totally diferent class :-)

the porsche is one of the best handling cars thats why they are so unique and well respectable cars.. they are not fast but their handling is what makes a porsche :-)

people waste 80-140k on a porsche because:

1. the feeling of owning a porsche
2. the feeling of driving a porsche that is very diferent than driving a regular car.
3. the feeling of driving a car that most people can get
4. i could continue giving reeasons why people waste that money and not get a wrx over a porsche...

if agresivity was the main reason to make customers buys products well all car mufacturers will make their cars have a BIG AZZ turbo, 6 spd tranny and all wheel drive and big damn disc brakes and balls to the wall mentality juzz like cal payne said and for subwoofers all manufactures will make their subwoofer handle gazillion watts...

but thats not the case in REAL WORLD... in real world to be the best you have to be the best.. not juzz have one thing....

you juzz cant compare a porsche 911 and a wrx thats juzz against the rules...

theres alot of reason why and again people spent all that money driving a porsche... the style, versatility, the feeling of owning a porsche, the luxury, the sense of speed,

and for my 2 cents well before comparing a porsche 911 to a wrx you must first read the facts behind a porsche and the history of the porsche 911 and that MIGHT give you an example to one of another reasons WHY people drop 100k on a porsche...

and Moz... the ho box stands for the patented enclousure made and designed by jl audio that is called a high output box... is kind of a combination of a ported and a bandpass box that combines or mix the output of the port with the output of the woofer.

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
I wouldn't get a porsche, at least not the sports car, they too small.

McLovin, please start proof reading your posts. I do enjoy reading everyone's .02, including yours, but yours really just gives me a headache sometimes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6772
thieves this a forum im a give you a tip... dont like how i type.. how i express myself DONT READ IT>.. juzz ignore it man i dont care juzz like you dont care what i think...

and what do you mean by "please start proof reading your posts"???? are you saying that I DONT KNOW WHAT IM SAYING???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks McLovin its all coming together

Gold Member

Post Number: 6773
MoZ if you want more info on the HO box go here... is a full description of the jl audio HO box

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?menu=1&page_id=18

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
well I wasn't insulting you, besides the "proof reading" thing, and that wasn't saying that you don't know what you're talking about, just trying to decipher what it is that you are trying to say is hard on the eyes. calm down. PS I said I enjoy reading everyone's posts, including yours, yours are just hard to understand, usually.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6774
is coool dude i apologize if i sounded i dont know pissed or something like that is all good man :-)

Username: Shorty

Red deer, Alt Canada

Post Number: 2
Hello all
Does anyone know where I can get the codes for bev for a viewsate or the new Bin codes I need help or give me a site to go to so I can fix this thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 6470
Chad, the point I was trying to make was, JL W7 is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It is a great product. Sure the price may be high, but it has reasons. Look at their warranty program. How many other manufacturers offer one that's close to JL's? If you're going to compare prices, then it has to be apples to apples.
I'm surprised no one's complaining about Zapco's amps over Hifonics. You can make the same argument. Zapco C2K amps cost over $1000, Hifonics with similar power costs $300. If the same logic were used, then Hifonics will "destroy" Zapco right? After all, it's below half the price of Zapco, and almost same output power.
Similar analogy with Porsche (any model) and Corvette. If both cars had 150mph top speed and 350hp, Corvette will "destroy" Porsche right?

Again, the purpose of my posts were to show that, you can't say something is WAY better cause it's half the price and have similar spec.
I disagree with all those that claim their half priced sub will destroy W7 hands down. Never seen it happen, and probably never will. I'm not defending JL. Just trying to weed out bs so that noobs won't get mislead.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4851
To the original poster...you get what you pay for,sometimes.I like when people mention a great warranty but why does such a great product need a warranty at all?Oh that's right...manufacturing defects do happen but all great products should be tested and should be reliable.Anyhow...because I can afford a W7 doesn't mean I ever will.The warrranty is useless unless installed by a certified shop.My local shop charges $1000 for a 1000/1 and then it's 200 bucks for an install and some more money for a wiring kit that I have to buy from them.That's pretty ridiculous for installing just an amp.I don't remember how much they wanted for a W7 but I remember it wasn't cheap and then I have to pay for them to install it or my warranty is trash.The efficiency of JL amps sure is nice that's for sure.The price is just too high for most and their customers usually have money to waste and don't do their own installs anyhow so I guess it all works out.JL makes a GOOD product but in my opinion it's far from great.Hmm...since you guys talk about how great a W7 in an HO box is why haven't I heard about them dominating in the street classes?Maybe I just missed it.Anyone have any info on them in the lanes?I know they're not SPL subs or anything but I keep hearing on how efficient they are on a little bit of power,that sounds like the perfect sub for Street A.Go for it Isaac take a couple trophies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6471
If you haven't heard of HO box, then try one.
Great warranty is nothing to knock at.

The reason why you don't find too many people with W7 in HO boxes is cause they are NOT cheap. For all the JL bashers, go try one for yourself and make up your own mind/opinion. I dare any of you to find a combo that will out perform 10W7 in HO box with 500/1 amp. Remember, apples to apples.
Again, JL prices are high, but it is NOT a bad product.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15165
zapco over hifonics? come on isaac you are over exaggerating what we are trying to say. before i go out and spend money on a zapco, i would look at some other good amps. memphis, mmats, kickers, orions, etc........

but my point is, if i am gonna drop $2500 on a 12w7 in a ho box with jl 1000/1 (remember you have to have it installed by a dealr to get the "awesome" warranty), i would look for something else. and yes i don't want to mislead the noobs. they don't know alot and they don't need to go out and spend that much cause someone thinks they are the porsche of car audio.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15166
also yes you are right isaac. you don't find many with that 10w7 with ho box on a jl 500/1 cause of the price. for that price they can get 2 subs and a stonger amp that will sound better and louder.

to clearify my point. jl audio products are aweome. i've owned a pair of 1000/1, 450/4, 300/2, and a 12w6. i was more than happy with their products. but i am just simply trying to say is that for the money you would spend on jl audio products, you can get more and better. now if the prices were low, i'd be all over it like flies on sh!t.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6472
I wouldn't say "more and better", but something equivalent.
You still can't beat 10W7 in HO box with 500/1 amp combo for everyday driving. Not only does it use less power and trunk space, it also produce very good bass.
I responded to this thead cause of too many people saying W7 sucks without much proof.
I don't know about the dealers in US, but in Canada, installation fee and price it is very reasonable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15167
yeah i hear you man. as far as performance goes, no one can say they suck. they are awesome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4852
"I don't know about the dealers in US, but in Canada, installation fee and price it is very reasonable."

You Canadians sure are lucky.Like I said the shop by me charges crazy amounts of money for their installs.They do nice work but for nice amounts of money =/

http://musicinmotion.net/gallerymain.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us