Tweeters make scratching noise w/bass

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 115
When I play regular music, everything sounds fine. But when I play bass cd's, the tweeters sound like they're blown.

I think this old Hifonics crossover is not working as good as it should.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5203
Sounds like they crossover slope or point is too low.

Try setting your crossover on your amp/HU to a higher freq or slope.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 116
I have the crossover point at 400hz but the scratching doesn't happen unless its playing around 30hz. I put in a test cd and it is worse from 28 to 38hz. Then it starts to go away.

Is it possible that the bass is shaking the tweeter with the vibration and causing it to rub???

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2800
400hz????

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9869
400hz for a tweeter???

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 117
I have a 2way x-over for the two amps, and then the components have there own passive that came with the set. The 2way is set at 400hz. I don't know what the components are designed for with their cross overs, but they came with them.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5210
Try putting a passive X-over inline w/ the tweets.

2Khz HPF will do the trick.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 118
I just looked at the box, the passive x-over that comes with the componant set has a 2k hi pass filter. This is installed inline like its supposed to be. But I'm still hearing the scratching.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3272
are you sure the tweeter is hooked up on the output (tweeter) of the crossover. And that you don't have the mid and tweeter mixed around. I had that problem today when I worked on my friends car and his tweeter would sound distorted when turned up, then I was like it has to be mixed around, and bam.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 119
Yep, I just tripple double checked that...again.

They are PG's, but maybe the PG passive x-over is crap.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 947
Possible.

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3274
Set your amplifiers X-over to off, HPF, or pass. If you set it to HPF, set it to around 80hz. I really don't understand how your receiving low freq's on your tweeters. So, more info is probaly best. Like how you wired everything up. What your settings are from your HU and Amplifier. Do you have the right amp. etc etc.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 120
Very simple system.

Kenwood HU...no built in crossover, only preset EQ settings.

Hifonics Ophelia EQ/x-over...using it well below its capabilities as a 11-band EQ & 2-way crossover . Set at 400hz, everything above 400hz goes to the front door componants. Below 400hz to the subs.

Front componants are running off of a hifonics Ulysses...75wrms x 2. No built in crossover.

The componant set came with its own 2-way passive crossover that is installed in the front doors w/ the speakers.

Did I miss anything?

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3276
Ok try this. Run a RCA, directly from the HU to the Component amp. Then from the component amp run the speaker wire to the passive xover, and then the xover to the tweeters and mids. Try that. And your Crossover settings with your Hifonics Ophelia is all weird. Why would you want your subs to play 400hz and below? Normally its 80hz and below. And you want your mids to play 80hz and up. And let the Passive xover take care of the rest. If you must use your Hifonics Ophelia eq/xover. Set it at 80hz and below for the subs (LPF), and 80hz and up for your components (HPF).

Ideally. I don't see a reason for the Hifonics Ophelia eq/xover. I would actually only use it for its EQ but not xover. On your sub amp, I'm sure you can set it for the subs to play 80hz and below. As for your components, let the passive over do the work as far as settings.

Just to make sure. Like I said before. Run the rca's directly from the HU to the Component amp. And leave the Hifonics eq/xover out of it, and see what happens.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 121
I'll try it.

As for setting it at 400hz, that would be my bad...someone changed the HU preset EQ and I wasn't getting any midbass out of the front...I never mess with the presets so I compensated by upping the x-over. I guess I can change it back now that I know what caused it.

I like the EQ so i'll just leave the sub amp on it and set it back to 80hz. Then try what you said and run the componant amp right off the pre-amps...no Ophelia.

I need a better system!

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 122
I'll try it.

As for setting it at 400hz, that would be my bad...someone changed the HU preset EQ and I wasn't getting any midbass out of the front...I never mess with the presets so I compensated by upping the x-over. I guess I can change it back now that I know what caused it.

I like the EQ so i'll just leave the sub amp on it and set it back to 80hz. Then try what you said and run the componant amp right off the pre-amps...no Ophelia.

I need a better system!

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 123
BernyMAC...BAM...it worked!

Thanx mega-watts!

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3277
No prob man. Glad it worked :-)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2804
bernymacisthebest

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 604
bradwarrenisthesecondbest

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 128
Well, now my mid/hi amp died. After making the change... (putting the mid/hi amp right off the deck pre-outs) the amp started overheating and shutting down. It doesn't come back anymore and its not burnt...

It overheats when its powered up, no speakers connected or inputs connected.

I didn't change anything else!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us