Quick wireing question

Bronze Member
Username: Animex2

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 11
I have 2 Audiobahn 4 Ohm DVC Subs. I have a MD-2618M and it has specifications for 2 ohm, 4 ohm and mono.

It says its a mono channel but i have 4 outputs (2 pos and 2 neg) like its a 2 channel but its not. how would i wire it so i dont blow my subs out again?

ive seen a few diagrams but all of them only involve 2 wires coming from the amp, and say to bridge it, but i think mines already bridged? i really dont know.

any help would be nice.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team Revolution

Post Number: 8932
Your amp is a mono amp. It just has 2 sets of outputs for easier wiring. But you will have to wire thoes subs to 4ohm because you will itif you wire them to 1 ohm.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 12
well its a 2 ohm amp, i dont know how to wire them so each sub is 4 with DVC

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 13
it looks like here

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?imageID=2SV C%5F4%2Dohm%5Fmono

i can only wire them for SVC

beacuse DVC i would have to have a 4 ohm amp? well it says my amp is rated for 2 ohms but it says it does 4 too? i really dont know...

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?imageID=2DV C%5F4%2Dohm%5Fmono

that would be if the amp was 4 ohms.

i just need to understand my amp better, it says its 2 ohm, but it has ratings for 1 ohm, 2 ohm and 4 ohm. or does it do whatever?

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 15
ok sorry for double, mabye even triple post. but i just remembered. the theres no quality difference between SVC and DVC right? just wireing differences? so i should wire for the SVC subs because my amp is mono 2 ohm, therefore 2 ohm to 4 ohm i would use the SVC wiring style, right?

haha sorry im just really new at this and confused.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 16
bump

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3273
I really can't find any info on that amplifier. It would help a lot more if I was able to get information on it. I'm guessing its a alpine. So please make sure to list the make and model. It would help greatly in find a solution for you. Also, I looked up MD-2618M, and saw a thread awhile back. And in that thread, you said that you had the gain maxed out!? Get a Digital Multi Meter and set your gains right. Also use the right fuse. A fuse that is rated depended on WIRE SIZE, not the amplifier. So yeah, please give make and model number, exactly how it is on the amplifier. It would help a lot.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 17
its MD Sound amplifier, yea dont read what i said awhile ago beacuse thats how i blew my amp out, haha. thats why im trying to do it different/the right way this time.

the amp is a monoblock so i know that, i thought it was a 2 channel before. i just dont know to wire it for 4 ohms or 2 ohms.

http://www.mdsound.net/hq.html

that has all the info i could find on it

Model
MD-2618M
Ch
M
4 Ohm RMS
2 Ohm RMS
Mono Rms
Max Power

so does that mean i can wire it for 2 or 4? 2 would give me more power tho?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3275
I'm guessing that since it went from 4ohms, then it said 2 ohms, and then it said mono, mono probaly is 1ohm stable. But to be safe, I would definitely call them or email them and ask. And if it is indeed 1ohm stable (mono). Then you can wire the subs down to 1ohm.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 18
well they arnt awnsering their phones but lets go with that my amp is a 1 ohm stable, im going to email them to be sure.

should i wire it here like option 1
http://images.cardomain.net/sites/sounddomain/shop/woofer_wizard/2_4ohm_dvc.gif
using 1 ohm out and 4 ohms at the subs

like the diagram above with 2 ohms out using only the SVC

or like the other diagram above using 4 ohms out using the DVC

actually the 1 ohm way in the dragram are how my subs were when they blew out, i wired them like

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?imageID=2DV C%5F4%2Dohm%5F2ch

and the voice coil went on both the subs.

you think it was from the gain being too high or was that wired wrong? i dont know i dont want to have to buy new subs again, but i also want the best "bang" for my buck.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 19
bump

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 182
If your amp IS 1 ohms stable then use the first wiring diagram. only to make it easier wire one sub to each pos+/neg- output. And use both coils, not just one.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 20
im pretty sure its not, says 2 ohm stable on the box, though its rated for 1 also? i dont know. i ahd them wiered for 1 ohm before and both my subs blew out within a day. so well stay away from that.

2 svc in paralell would be 2 ohm load

2 dvc in paralell would be 1 ohm, but that blew my subs out

2 dvc in series would be 4 ohm

so im guessing i want to go with the 2 ohm only using 1 of the voice coils in each, beacuse using both voice coils would only give me less power, right?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/?helpid=58

was using that website for my information.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
I dont think that would blow your subs. That would just ruin your amp running at lower ohm loads. If you only run 1 coil you will only get half the power out of each sub, plus you could very possibly ruin them, and they might sound like sh!t. Wire them like "option 2". You will still only get half power out of your amp, but the same power as running one coil on each sub, without harming anything.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 21
alright, so i run them DVC with 4 ohms, so ill get 300/400 rms with each sub. better then nothing. and i dont know, when i ran them with 1 ohm or 2 dvc in paralell, they blew out rahter fast.

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 22
last bump hopefully, 2 ohm svc (damage it somehow?) or 4 ohm dvc (less power)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4752
You said this would be a quick question.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2209
lol ya...im debating on what the problem on this thread is...seems like it should have been over in 2 posts

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
What model of audiobahns do you have anyways?

Bronze Member

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 23
AW1251T 12" DVC x2

and haha, my bad, one question lead to another.

but last and final question just posted, 2 svc @ 2 ohm, or 2 dvc @ 4 ohm?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us