Infinity Basslink or sealed Shiva sub for SQ?

Username: Martice

Post Number: 2
I am at the stage where I'm ready to address my subwoofer needs in my 93 Toyota Corolla sedan. It has a trunk space of 61" wide, 31" deep and 21" tall. I am interested in obtaining a full and tight sounding bass inside my cabinet and have narrowed my choices down to two choices.

The Infinity Basslink or a 25.5 litre (Adire recommended)Shiva based custom sealed enclosure.

I am really attracted to the Basslink because of the price ($240 shipped)and simplicity of the design. However, I am concerned with the possibility of the basslink not being enough for me if I do plan to push it a little. I've never heard it so I don't have an idea of what it can do.

As far as the Shiva goes, I've used them in my HT as well as the Tempest and I've always been impressed with their performance. I plan to power the 25.5 litre sub with a US Acoustics USX-2100. It seems that the cost of the sub (parts, amp and accessories)will be about $450.00 not including installment and I'm wondering if the custom sub would be an obvious improvement over the basslink?

I am also leary that many of the reviews of the Basslink are from hatchback and pickup owners who love it but I have a sedan. Are there any people who use the Basslink in a sedan? Would the Shiva in the planned configuration be an obvious upgrade over the Basslink?

Thanks for the inputs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3196
the shiva will be a lot better really, but more expensive, and more space is required.
as far as sedans are concerned, you may want to vent the rear deck so the air in the trunk is coupled to the air in the cabin.

Post Number: 3
Hi Glass. Thanks for the input. I've been reading a lot of your threads and replies and they've helped a whole lot.

Anyway, you mentioned venting rear deck. I've never heard of that before but I'm sure that it means to poke some holes in the rear deck or something to that effect. Is there any way that I can do this without making my rear deck look like swiss cheeze?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3220

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 53
You can go extreme and cut out all the metal back there, or you can go simpler and take the rear speakers out. If you have holes such as from 6x9's, the air will couple pretty good, better than it was, anyway, although cutting the whole package tray will be better. Basically any method that lets the subs push air into the cabin instead of just the trunk. Sound will be a lot cleaner and tighter that way because the air has more paths to flow than through the foam of the rear seat. Lowering the rear seat can help, too, if you don't want to do cutting, although it's not permanent (which can be a good thing if you sell the car).

Post Number: 4
Unfortunately, I just bought a brand new pair of Infinitys for the rears so I guess that the holes in the rear is out. I think I will lower the seat first before I do any cutting or such. I'mnot sure if I want to go as far as cutting away parts of the vehicle just yet so I will let my ears decide if I need to go the next step or not in getting the best bass performance I can get.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 69
Well, you always can lower the rear seat. I wouldn't cut the panel out of a car that you aren't planning to hold onto forever. Letting the seat down will work just fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us