Sub Woofer Polarity with a multi meter?

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 564
2 questions

1. i sealed my box up but both wires are same color and i mixed them due to sendin my car into the shop for repair. before i pull the sub out is it possible to find out the pos and neg without pullin the sub?

2. can this be done with car speakers also to double check all my wiring for optimal performance?

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, New Numbers ...

Post Number: 824
1>How can u SEE how things are hooked up and find out what is what, without pulling the bus, doesnt make sensed to me....IF there's only 1 sub, you can take a 9 volt battery and touch the + wire to the+ on the battery and the - wire to the - on the battery....if the sub moves the right way, then its ok, if it moves opposite way, then things are wired up backwards...
and 2>yes, you can do the same thing with speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
only one sub wolf and i just meant it deafeats my purpose to pull it i wanted to know if with a multi meter it would show me pos and neg with a setting. cause my meters tell me if its backwards or not when connected to a power source. with the car speakers it defeats the purpose cause i can't see my door speakers without pullin the panels which i don't want to do. the 12 volt thing i knew about for a long time but never tried it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
only one sub wolf and i just meant it defeats my purpose to pull it i wanted to know if with a multi meter it would show me pos and neg with a setting. cause my meters tell me if its backwards or not when connected to a power source. with the car speakers it defeats the purpose cause i can't see my door speakers without pullin the panels which i don't want to do. the 9 volt thing i knew about for a long time but never tried it.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 281
it works great, just don't hold the battery on there for a long period of time, it's just a test to see which direction (usually out) the speaker "pops"

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4073
1 no
2 no
3 no
4 yes
5 no

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 282