Bass Question

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 452
My question is does lower bass notes travel further in distance them upper bass ? Distance I mean inside and outside the car, and would a Sealed box be able to take low bass notes further in distance as compared to port box ?

The reason I am asking is because I have a Memphis 15" sub in a ported box and I was wonder would a sealed box be amp to "emphasis" the lower notes better then the ported?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 625
lower notes travel further. that's why lots of motocross tracks are getting shut down, now that everyone's switching to four strokes. combined with more people living closer to tracks. sort of irrelevant.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9626
Yes the lower the note the farther you will hear/feel it. The lower the note the more non directional it is. The crack of thunder has all sorts of frequencies to it. From miles away what do you here?

And personally I would keep that Memphis ported.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 453
So lets say you are outside and hear someone thumpin down the street would you be able to hear a ported box first or a Sealed box with same sub and amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 9628
Ported. You get more output from a ported design. Don't confuse it with SQ, only output.

So you're looking to be heard first?

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 289
even though fi q's are built for sq will it still be loud? and would i want mine in a ported or sealed box? sorry for stealing your thread. just that all that asking about ported and sealed boxes got me wondering

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 454
No not really (I already got my system stolen once) but I just always wondered more like a FYI thing.

Alright which would you hear first if it was 12" sub in a ported box "versus" a 15" sub sealed off the same amount of power which would have more output

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2723
I was explaining this to Rob about a month or so ago when we were talking about phase cancellations in a car environment. To get the wavelength of a given frequency you must first determine the feet per second of your altitude and atmospheric pressure where you are. A common speed would be 1100 feet per second. Divide that number by the frequency to get the bass wavelength.

Example: 1100 ÷ 100hz = 11 ft.

So then...

50hz = 22 ft.
20hz = 55 ft.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9633
The comparison was using the same amp and sub. If you're buying a SQ sub like the Q then you should already know what's important to you. (If you did your homework). Yes you can get loud with SQ. It's what everyone who loves music is after. Take the Mag. Fantastic driver ported or sealed.

It's all about your target result.

Guys, I really hope you'd rather enjoy your music than broadcast it.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3355
It has a lot to do with reflectivety and absorption also. Some cars will naturally release the inputed energy from the some and some hold on and can even magnify. My car is one of them, it gets loud with little power adding more power only gets it louder inside, sure you can hear it outside but not like it would if it was in an suv or something. In the past we never used ported boxes, we used set of 15's in small sealed boxes, usually around 3cf, they were flea market prefabs and we stuffed them with pillow stuffing. The pair would be on a single 400 watt amp and you could be heard for blocks, probably because typically a sealed enclosure can accurately reproduce most bass notes with a flat responce, listen to any type of music and not have to fert with the gain at all because it being to high for certain music. Things change and now we are running 1000's of watts and to me honestly it doesn't seem to carry any farther... Polo. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9635
^^^^Agreed.

Ten years ago if you had 500w in your car you were GOD!

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 456
alright thanks for clearing that up and did I ever tell you guys how I hooked up my memphis Dual 4 ohm to a 2-channel amp but ran the voicecoils separate and NO PROBLEMS it's getting 400rms and it sounds good to me

normally with 1 Dual 4ohm sub you have very little options because most are 2 ohms stable but only in "stereo" but my sub is in a 3cu ft box

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 247
^
I know a lot of people where 1000 watts = The shizit. I will say that I grew up in baltimore, and never used to hear bass. Ever- atleast not until the person was right next to you. Now it's not uncommon at all to hear someone from blocks away. That's just my thoughts.

I've talked to several people who say 'we used to hit 160dbs with a few hundred watts' and they always seem to forget to add that it was before they made things much harder to get that number.

I'm in no way knocking what you're saying, I just think you can hear people more than you could years ago.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 457
and yea I drive a Saturn SL2 (small car) is it true that subs can only move so much air in a given space and then after a certain point you just can't get any louder ? Not sure correct me if wrong
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us