Paul

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 276
I know there are a lot of threads that ask if a car audio setup would work well in a home audio setup. I know you used a plate amp to power you 18" But I was wondering if one had an old school amp, separate from the reciever the cd player, tape player, etc. etc., could one power their sub straight off that amp without much difficulty? Despite how much the amp puts out, would it work?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9607
Simply, yes. Make sure your ohm load from the sub works with the amp. If it's a dvc sub then your wiring options double. It's called a passive design, meaning your sub is nothing more than a tuned box with a speaker in it. Think of it as a regular stereo speaker minus the mids and tweets. You're still going to run your sub out line from your receiver to the amp, then to the sub.

If it's an old school receiver amp you're talking about then hopefully it should have rca inputs in the rear. Connect the sub line out from your source and connect it to one of the two inputs of the second amp. Then wire that channel to the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 279
Okay good, I was hoping that was the answer you were going to give me. When I get my sub back I'll hook it up and might have further questions. Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us