I could use a second opinion on this

Anonymous

i am ugrading my system and it will have close to 2k watts and i am getting another battery. i was thinking that since my car is already wired with 8g wire i would hook up that battery in my trunk to that 8g and then put 1/0g from that battery to my amp. i would like to know if this will be alright, cause 1/0g is very expensive and would like to use as little of it as is possible. just want ot know if that will be sufficient enought to lessen the strain on the vehicles electrical system.

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 19
is that 2k max or 2k RMS

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 20
by the way 1/0g is more than you need

Bronze Member
Username: Rollinondubs

Post Number: 21
You need to have the heavier guage wire connected directly to you battery. You can hook it up as:

4 AWG (or heavier) from main battery to the battery in the trunk
then connect the 1 AWG wire to your amp if your amp will accomidate it or you have a reducing connector.
8 AWG from battery to battery is not a good choice whether or not you have a stereo system or not.
If you have 2 amps, @ 1000 watts RMS each, then a 4 AWG power distribution block wired from the trunk battery to power both your amps at 4 AWG each will suffice. Good luck

Anonymous

do you think that i will need to upgrade my alternator or will the extra battery be good enough? thanks for all the help. I guess i'll go 4awg from main batt. to trunk batt. and i guess i'll only need 4awg for the amp so i'll run 4awg to that too, sound good?

joshua guskjolen
Unregistered guest
and by the way it will be close to 2k rms

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 582
you dont need another battery, you need an insaely high output alternator man...

running at 12.5 volts, you'll need about 200A of current going to those amp(s) and thats if ur using class D amps

look at some 250A or 275A alternators from some places around you (auto zone if nearby) maybe pep boys

www.mralternator.com has nice selections
or you can contact ohio generators, they make awesome alternators

and use 0 guage wiring going from your alternator to battery then from battery to distro block, then use 4 or 2 guage
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us