Alpine V12 MRDM605 run a single Alpine 12" R SWR-1242D

Username: Crballer

Post Number: 1
Im looking at getting into a little more bass for my crown vic. I have done a lot of looking and I think I have found what I want but need some views on it. I was wondering if an Alpine V12 Digital Mono Amp MRDM605 could power one Alpine type R 12" SWR-1242D without risk of damaging the sub. I've been told it will work but the amp puts out

Per channel into 2 ohms: 900W x 1

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 400W x 1
Per channel into 4 ohms: 250W x 1

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-200Hz)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 600W x 1

I am also wondering if one of the single 12" sealed boxes on ebay or about $50 would be any good to house this sub. If not, what would?

any help would be great

Post Number: 2
Im also new to this and I have no idea how to log out so if someone could help me out there that would be nice

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1023
that amp will be fine if you set your gains correctly and don't abuse bass boost or EQ's. wet your gain on your amp to your Head units preamp voltage.

as for the box, the best would be to custom build a box if you feel confident enough to build it. if you need i can give you a design.

if you don't want to custom build it then look for a ported box with 1.8-2.2 cu ft.

here is an example:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3527

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 561
u don't need to log out,u could just erase the pass word and username at the bottom of this thread. the amp can push it but will underpower it. at 12 volts it will do as said about 400 watts. cause i own the model sub and pretty sure it only comes in dual voice coil 4 ohm which wires to 2 ohm. the problem is u need to look at your type - r as 500 rms being the starting point.that amp will only d0 600watts at 14 v so if the alt fluctuates like it does prob at times depending on eather and so on. the amp isn't doing it's potential.

mine is hittin on 1100 rms, sounds great and use it everyday no problems. my old amp which i still own is a infinity 600 rms and it runs like a beast. i still can't complain about thier amps i've ranthem into the ground "the older models" and never had a issue they still work great. the infinity 1600 a seems even more efficient. but i'll tell you this no matter what amp i put it on it sounded like crap in a pre fab box. i ventured out and for about 40 bucks built myself a ported box. the r has never beat harder and my amp runs better to. so there u have it 600 rms or even 900 rms won't hurt the sub as long as you set the gain correctly.

Post Number: 6
If you could give a custom design that would be great. I'd like to get/build one tha had a port but could be plugged making it sealed.

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1028
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=30&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=17&Vd= .14&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Post Number: 9
That's great thanks. Do they have one with a sealed box that I could look at as well?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us