Power antenna

Bronze Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 72
put in a new h/u in my car but I cant figure out how to run the power for the antenna. I plugged in the normal long black antenna connector but what should I splice the power for antenna to? The amp remote, 12v ignition, 12v constant?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2753
Usa a relay off the radios rem. So when the HU turns on, Pop.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
"Usa a relay off the radios rem. So when the HU turns on, Pop."

I'm guessing your talking about the power antennas that extend out when you turn the radio on? My antenna doesnt do that. My understanding is the power for the antenna that I'm looking for boosts the signal. I read somewhere to use one of the 12v leads, but the antenna power on the cars harness and the amp remote on the H/U are both blue wires. It makes more sense to match colors but does the amp remote even have enough power to run anything like that?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2759
no, the hu rem will not have the power. Thats why you use a relay.
Use the HU rem wire to amps, and relay. from relay to antenna. relay use like .5 ma. so your amps wont miss it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
This might be a stupid question but
What is a relay?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2760
The anttena should have 2-3 wires from it.
1. A power wire that needs Constant 12 volts.
2. a remote wire to make it go up/down
3. a ground wire. (black or it grounds itself when installed.

you wont need a relay if you only need to hook up the ant. rem wire. splice it into the HU rem wire.

But if it just goes up/down with power live or dead, then use a relay for the power wire, and a hu rem splice to the relay to control it.

A relay is a switch. But instead of using the controll wire as a power source, it switches just a contact, and the power is supplied from else where.

read section 36
http://www.bcae1.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
I have never heard of using a relay for an antenna, and the stock H/U powered the antenna before w/ out one.

The power that I need is to amplify the signal, not to run a mechanical antenna that goes up and down.

I think that there is an amp for the antenna somewhere behind the scenes that just needs to be switched on. If thats the case its as simple as splicing the antenna to the rem. If there is no amp the rem probably doesnt have the power I'm lookin for. It makes no sense to plug the antenna into a 12v constant because then power would be going to the antenna even w/ everything off. My only option then, if no amp, is to use the red ignition wire. Right?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2767
yea, you lost me now. Are you talking about a signal booster? or a power source to make the thing go up and down?

For up/down this explains what ive said in more detail.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2070754_replace-car-radio-power-antenna.html

For a power signal booster, just splice into the HU power wire or any switched source, so it comes on with the key.

A pic or link of what your talking about would go a long way..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
I got it all figured out, I was talking about a signal booster. I just spliced the antenna from the stock harness to the rem on the H/U. Reception is great. Appreciate the help Marc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us