I need help on making my box

Bronze Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 41
i don't know anything about making them other than basics. and i don't even know all the basics. i have a 10001 rockford power amp and i ordered an 18 inch Fiadudio BL. i was told that 10 cubfeet would be the loudest for this sub. i have a ton of room in my blazer and i just want something that is loud. i know i can't just make a 10cubfoot box and cut a whole in it. i really need help!
i don't understand if the volume is with the port or with out?
is it the left one or the right on? if the red is the volume?

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6391071

i REALLY NEED help! i need to get all this togather

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 296
Ok, First off.

10 cu.ft. refer's to the volume the subwoofer needs not including any displacements ( sub, port, port walls, bracing )

Next, the port.

The first pic refer's to the port wall lenghts and the second pic refer's to the port wall opening width.

However, what those pic's don't reflect or you didn't state is the dimensions of the enclosure per those pic's since the spec's for the port are going to change in terms of the port opening height given the width shown.

If ya want help, ya got to be more specific as to what ya need help with by providing more info other than what ya posted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i pmed u. i pretty much don't know anything.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
COME ON!!!!!! SOME ONE HELP ME!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1547
Ben ... Phil is a very knowledgeable box builder one of the best in the business ... but he has to run a business as well ... i would suggest waiting for him.. also be way more specific on what ur major issues are so if any one on the forum here can help you solve the problem before phil returns we will .. were here to help you out man ... btw nice setup you got there .. you should be very impressed with the output once the box situations are taken care of

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Ben,

I replied to your PM hours ago dude.

Here's the context of the PM sent you based on the questions you asked:

Yes, if you take the subwoofer displacement .23 cu.ft. added to the subwoofer volume requirement ( 10 cu.ft. ) your adjusted net volume is 10.23 cu.ft.

As for the port/ port walls.

You have to determine the size of the port based on the it's width, height and depth, the depth being the lenght of the port.

Displacement of the port would be W x H x L divided by 1728 = Cu. FT. displacement of the port.

Next, Port Walls.

Whatever the lenght of the combined walls are to correctly make the port to the lenght, add the lenghts together x height x thickiness of the material divided by 1728 = cu.ft. displacement of the port walls.

Now, add together all the volumes and this gets you the TOTAL CU.FT. you need for your enclosure.

There are programs online that will help you at least determine based on width, height and depth you will need to make your enclosure based on what you have for working dimensions given what you measure to fit your vehicle.

And being it's a friday nite as late as it is, your damn lucky i'm sober enough to even respond.

If you want to know more of the basic's, here's alittle lite reading:

Enclosure Type - Sealed or Ported enclosures are the most commonly used for Car Audio Installs.

Port Tuning Frequency - Known as ( Fb ) - The Frequency that the port is tuned to for a Ported Enclosure.

Port Type - There are 2 Types - ( Round and Slot Ports )

Round Ports are the most commonly used port when designing sub enclosures. Round Ports are X" diameter x Y" length I.D. ( Inside Diameter, Inside Dimension )

Slot Ports - Known as ( Vented Slot ) - This type of Port is Square or Rectangle in shape. Slot Ports are X width x Y height x Z length I. D. ( Inside Diameter, Inside Dimension )

Port Size - The port size can be referred to in many ways: Round Port - Diameter x Length / Slot Port - Width x Height x Length

Some Subwoofer Manuals Technical Specifications will refer to Port Size as - Port Area x Length

Port Area - known as ( Av ) is defined by the cross-sectional area of the port (in square inches), other terms used are - Port Surface Area

In simple terms - Port Area is the open space of the port defined in Square Inches and can be any shape as long as the Port Area in Square Inches is maintained.

The size of the Port Area plus Port Tuning Frequency plus Net Volume plus Subwoofer Displacements determine the Port Length.

Other Displacements added such as Bracing & Port Walls will affect the Port Length. See Gross Volume

Enclosure Volume - Known as ( cu.ft. - cubic feet ) There are 2 Types of enclosure volume - Net Volume and Gross Volume.

Net Volume - Known as ( Vb, NBv ) - The volume the subwoofer requires or needs and does not include any of the following:
Subwoofer Displacement - Port Displacement - Bracing Displacement - Port Material Displacement.
The Net Volume and Displacements added together total the Gross Volume of the enclosure.

Gross Volume - Sometimes known as ( GBv ) - the volume of the enclosure which the Net Volume, Displacements and Port Size &Tuning Information, which has already been calculated for the enclosure which may or may not included the size of the enclosure dimensions to build it.

All or a good amount of the information noted above can be found on the Subwoofer Manufacturer's Website.
Place's to look for this information on the Website: Product Page - Product Manual Page - Tech Support Page or Technical FAQ's Page.

Some lesser known subwoofers don't have a Manufacturer's Website and obtaining the info you need is like being on snipe hunt - very little or no information to be found at all which can be very frustrating indeed.

Your options are to e-mail or call for the info so the proper information can be passed on.

Why should a person call Tech Support for an enclosure design?

Let's say that you have a preference to the kind of bass response you want, you want More SQ ( Sound Quality ) Less SPL ( Sound Pressure Level ) or Less SQ / More SPL or you want 50/50 Sq/Spl.

The factors involved are the type of music you listen to, the amp you have or are going to purchase depending on the Wattage Output at a desired Ohm Load based on which subwoofer you are considering to use to provide the kind of bass response you want.

The Tech Support Person will take this info you provide and design an enclosure using a enclosure design program that will provide well defined enclosure parameter's as to:
Net Volume or Gross Volume, Port Tuning and Port Size based on the Bass Response Graph's they view and optimize the results to the best enclosure design possible that will perform.

The factors that cannot be account for as to the bass response and performance of subwoofer & enclosure design:
In Car Response - know as ( Cabin Gain ) will produce a difference response based on the vehicle type and where the enclosure is inside the vehicle.
System Components, Install and Settings - These individual choices and preferences are the total end result which only the individual can decide for themselves as to bass response and performance.

There is no Perfectly Designed Enclosure and no one individual is going to state or make a claim that their design is going to provide exactly what you want, but, will say that for the design they have done will perform well within the boundaries for good results and bass performance.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9537
Now that is what I call a reply! In case Ben doesn't thank you for that I will. Thank you!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
wow! thanks so much!!!!! i might have more ?s later on but that is about everything i need to know!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
alright! new problem already! lol. i just got done measuring the back of my car and i can't get 10cuft to fit! i am beween 8 and 9 cuft...

pretty much my ? now is how far away should the sub be from the roof of my blazer? i can get it 10cuft but then the top of my box will be like 5 inch for the roof.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Remember the spec's which state that the enclosure's net volume can be anywhere from 5 cu.ft. up to 10 cu.ft.

Also, the amp you have is 1000 watts @ 1ohm which Fi states the sub can do 1000 watts but they ain't telling you what the sub can handle up to wattage wise.

But, that's neither here or there at this point given your amps rated power.

Now, as for the clearance issue, 5inch clearance from the roof isn't the problem, the problem is the slot port in terms of where best to have both the sub and slot port placement to gain the max benefit of output possible.

Ideally, both the sub and port should be on the same surface to couple the f3 response of the sub and the ports frequency response.

So, if can do both sub and port firing at the roof, back off the height another 5 inches and you should be good to go, granted you loose volume but given what your working with even 8 cu.ft. net tuned at 37hz with 80 sq.in. of port area will be pretty damn loud.

Last, ya never did say what the max dimensions of the area are for where you plan to install this and without more detailed info, I nor no one else can be much help to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
i am putting it in the back of my 2000 st blazer. i will put pix on tonight

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
ok this is pictures of it. this is were its going to go. any idea let me know! i was thinking about putting the amp in the box but idk if that is a good idea. sounds to hard to do.

pix
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6414800
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6414799
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6414798
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6414797

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Ben,

Pic's of the vehicle are all well and good, BUT, what are the dimensions/measurements of the area.

What are/is the maximum Width x Height x Depth of the space??

I can't help ya if I or anyone else does not know what you have space wise to work with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
ok this is with some measurements. i am trying to get sizes for the box but it is hard cause i have to make it fit and it is not going to be a box. right now i am looking at making a box that is kinda shaped like a house. do i need to have port walls? do they do anything? or can i just have a whole that is the right size?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
o ya this is a pic... again

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6423019

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
so this is what i need to give u guys.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6435604

that is the lengths of the box. not the inside of the box. i am not sure how thick of wood i need. and i don't know if i need a port wall or how big the port needs to be.

PLEASE HELP ME! i ordered my sub like 5 min ago so i don't have much time. everything is hooked up in my car a just have to make my box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
and did i say i just want all SPL!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
SOME ONE PLEASE?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
now i am lookin at just making it 25 by 20 by 37 inches. if i use one inch think mdf the volume will be a volume of 8.39 if i did it right. that is with out the displacment of the sub and port walls.
i really need help on how big the port walls need to be!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us