JL Audio 10W7 Question

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 11
I've tried to read all the posts on this sub but none of them have been specific enough to my system. I am in the midst of revising my system and what I intend to have is the following:

DECK: (1 x Pioneer DEH-P7500MP)
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130DEHP750&search=deh%2Dp7500mp

Door Speakers: (4 x Infinity 6802CF)
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=108680 2CF&g=52200&search=infinity

Speaker Amp: (1 x JL Audio 300/4)
75 Watts RMS x 4 @ 1.5-4 Ohms

Sub Amp: (1 x JL Audio 500/1)
- 500 Watts RMS

Sub: (1 x JL Audio 10W7)
- 500 Watts RMS

My questions are:

1) Will the system run fine on the stock electrical system of a Ford Focus? If not what options do I have to correct this problem?

2) What type of box should I get to have the best performance out of my sub and save as much trunk space as possible? If I get a sealed box will I have enough bass with the 10W7 and 500/1?

3) If you have any other suggestion about anything having to do with this system please let me know I want to do this the right way!

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 27
Sounds like you are gonna have a pretty nice system. On the stock alternator you will need to get a new one for sure. Don't get a cap. Place that 10W7 in a sealed box. You will have a lot of clean, solid bass. It will put out plenty of bass. You will be suprised.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
WAHL: Why do you suggest that I don't get a Cap?

Anonymous

capacitors only help if the charging system is up to par. For example, have you ever had a dead battery due to an alternator/regulator problem or seen someone who has? You can jump start the car, but it will only run for so long until it dies again. A capacitor is more for power on demand than helping the charging system. An alternator is the way to go.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3047
try with the stock system first and see.
if it doesn't take the current draw, then worry about that

sealed box for a W7 for best SQ.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
OK, so far I like what you guys are saying about getting a sealed box. I would like sound quality. The only question I have is, will a ported box be that much more powerful than a sealed box?

loud and low
Unregistered guest
a ported box will only be louder at the tunning frequency about 3db. it also produces a different sound. Personally i prefer a ported box tuned very close to the drivers fs but its only a matter of opinion and most people prefer a sealed box for sound quality. listen to glasswolf he knows what hes talkin about. go sealed

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3060
listen to both. see what you like.
ported is more ifficient by +3dB. sealed is a flatter response, but uses more power to get the same volume by a bit.
a sealed box is quite a bit smaller in volume for the same sub compared to ported.

Anonymous

there are certain differences between a ported and sealed box. for a sealed box, it keeps the coils in line better making the sound better quality, although, because it is sealed, whenever the driver moves out, it creates a vacuum inside the box which dosnt let the driver move out as far. a ported box does a few things. it will sound louder because of the airflow, it will do better with the high bass and it is more efficient. because the w7's are high quality, i would go with a ported box. but its totally up to you.

Anonymous

you also may want to think of upgrading your alternator (dosnt matter with any kind of car) because the two amps suck up almost 100 amps. you will also need a 2 gauge power cable for the main power. f*ck capacitors. they are usless.

Anonymous

another thing, check out jl audio.com and download their owners manuals for the sub, and amps. i did and they are very useful. jl audio themself will tell you that a ported box is recommended.

Anonymous

i have a 2003 altima and i never really heard about charging systems being a factor but i have i brahma 15 in a ported box on a jbl 1200 coming and would that charge system be alright?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us