JL Audio 15w6 Ported or Sealed Box?

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 26
Anyone had one of these and did it sound better in a ported or sealed box? This is a 15 incher, 6 ohms going to wire it so it will get 375 watts RMS if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!!

Cainer
Unregistered guest
375w RMS to a 15" sub? sounds weak man, whats the RMS of the sub im not familier with the stats for it? i know that a good 15" sub would need a lot more than that to drive it properly and to gain its full potentional SPL, can you wire the sub to less than 6ohm's?

Bronze Member

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 27
Yeah I know it is kind of weak for that size sub, but I can't afford to upgrade the amp right now (its a Memphis ST500) 500x1 at 2 ohms so if I wire this sub to 3 ohms it should put out 375, however the rms on the sub is only like 350 or so, I don't know what peak power is. I guess I will just hook it up and see, and get a more powerfull amp in the future....I got a decent price for the sub, $95 bucks plus shipping, it is used but in good shape, so I could not pass it up.

Bronze Member

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 28
BTW here are the specs for the sub, I was wrong it looks like it is 400 rms, so maybe my amp will work ok with it? http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/15+18W6_BDS.pdf

Cainer
Unregistered guest
if your sub is rated at 350w RMS and your amp can give it 375w RMS then you dont need a bigger amp but you could upgrade to a better quality amp instead when your budget allows it, as i didnt know the specs of your sub i presumed that being a JL audio it would need more than 375w, i looked at a VIBE SPL15" sub that looked quite ordenary and that needed a minimum of 850w RMS.

Cainer
Unregistered guest
ive looked at the link mike and the sub can be wired at 3ohms or 1.5ohms, id wire it to 3ohms as your amp wouldnt be stable at 1.5 ohm's wich is a shame so be careful not to strain your amp as you will need to harness all its power to run this sub

Cainer
Unregistered guest
oh and to answer your original question mike ported or sealed.... personaly i prefer a sealed box i think its better for SQ, many may well disagree but its just my opinion

Bronze Member

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 29
Cainer, thanks for all your help. I will be running it at 3 ohms, I know my amp is not stable at one. The next model up from mine IS stable at one so maybe I could run the speaker at 1.5 someday if I like it. BTW how would I run a dual VC 6 ohm speaker at 1.5 ohms? I thought I would have to have two speakers to do that?

Cainer
Unregistered guest
sorry mike my mistake (too much of the green one my eyes are blurred) your right you would have to use 2 subs to get a 1.5 ohm load on the amp, but 1 sub with both voice coils wired in parelel will give you a 3 ohm load so youl be ok.

Bronze Member

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 30
Cool, and while I am at it let me bring up the box issue. No way no how can I build one myself, (when I was in Jr High and we had to make a box with lid out of paper mine was actually shown as how the project should NOT look) so I am going to get one and am looking on eBay. I am leaning towards the Q Logic http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5700366645&category=50568&ssp agename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

as I have this model in a 12 inch now and it seems like a nice box and the seller seems to be reputable. There are other 15's for cheaper but either the sellers suck or the buyers say the boxes are cheap. Does anyone have any advice on this? I know the Q logic may not be the best for me but at least I know what I am getting and it does seem to be a decent box. Or am I way wrong here??

help please GlassWolf
Unregistered guest
erm... i'l have to hand you over to GlassWolf on this one as long as he doesnt mind, he'l point you in the right direction mike
cainer.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3020
that Qlogic should be fine.
for the 15" I'd probably go with a ported box, and tune it around 28Hz.
should hit hella low and pretty hard, too.

Bronze Member

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 31
Thanks GlassWolf, I feel better about my decision now. Not sure how to tune the box but perhaps it will be in the documentation, does it have anything to do with maybe cutting the port tube inside the box?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3035
yup
the port tube diameter and length determine the tuned frequency.
you trim the tube length to tune the box based on the box's volume after subtracting the displacement of the sub itself, and the volume of the port tube.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us