Setting My Gain - 1 small problem.

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 522
Ok, so i was setting my gain, i played a 50Hz test tone and turned volume up 75% of the way. as i asjusted the gain, it went up slowly, and it quickly maxed out. When I had the gain all the way up, the reading said 08.4, and my target was 31.6, so i was trying to figure out how this could be, and i knocked the bass boost from my amp up just a little, and about 1/4 the way up + my gain 100% up, the voltage read 31.6. I know I shouldnt have my gain all the way up, or my bass boost on when setting this, but what should I do, if im not reaching my target voltage without the bass boost? Everything on my HU is where it should be BTW, i think (bass 0 trebel 0 loud off yada yada yada)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8132
Your gain was set at 100% at 75% volume and nothing went boom???????????!!!!!!!!

Wow.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 524
subs werent plugged in, gain was at zero, and as i slowly turned it up, the highest it got was 08.4, far from my target voltage, nothing blew.. my subs werent hooked up.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8133
Oh, my bad. I had too much sun today.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 525
lol paulUpload

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 528
help?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3436
What's your sub level set at on the HU?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 529
+15, which is the highest it can go, would that matter considering my subs arent hooked up?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5544
set the sub setting to zero and check it

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 434
No sub level is to as high as it can go...Make sure your DMM is at the correct range.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 530
DMM is at correct range, it was the first thing i verified.

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s, 300 watt Jense..., 133.3db@49hz!!

Post Number: 291
DMM is set on AC isnt it? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but someone on here posted that they were having the same type problem, and come to find out it was because they had the DMM on DC.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME, BernyMac Edi...

Post Number: 3044
^^^I just posted that but my post didn't come up.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 531
yes its on ac voltage lol, thx

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1500
yeah thats wut i heard abut tha alpin hu with sub levels turn it all tha way up

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1455
some HU's have a setting for different amounts off power. For example my HU has gain LOW and gain HIGH. You choose which u want and it changes how much power the amp signal is.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3313
I had the same option on a JVC snarl, but it only restricted the volume from going over 30 with gain low, gain high i could adjust it upto 50volume. Are the test tones you are using set at 0db i know some are like +3db and some -3db but i highly doubt thats the case with it still so low. What HU do you have? Does the sub get any loud with gain at 100%? Is the bass turned down on the HU but sub level up? The eq has a pretty big roll on the output still even with subwoofer level turned up, i know some people turn bass down on HU so door speakers and stuff dont max out and they only take the bass from the subs..

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 541
Alpine 9883, 50Hz test tone from ROE. I finally just said phuck it, and did it by ear, it sounds really niice now. I never played the sub w/ gain 100%, i dont want to risk blowing it.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3319
it sounds like a eq issue from what im thinking, lows are being filtered out and when using the BB it centers the bass around certain freq. i would just turn the BB up about 10% or less and then set it with the DMM on it and slowly turn the gain up

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 542
well, what i did was turn the gain all the way up (subs obviously unpluggued) and turned up my BB until it hit 31.6 w/ the DMM, maybe I should turn the gain down to about 75%, and turn up the BB to balance it out until i hit 31.6, reason i didnt do this was b/c i didnt think you were supposed to use bb when setting your gain =/, but im out of ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 951
u should nplug ur bb totally since its not necessary when setting gain. make sure u have the right pre-out volt from ur hu and make sure ur remote wire is in ur amp. then test the outputs on hu to make sure nothing happened to those. then re-set ur gain. idk y it wont work

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 486
To find target voltage, don't you type in a number of watts and the number of ohms your subs wire to? Then your voltage is found with the subs hooked up because it represents that number of ohms you typed in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us