Trupan Ultralight?

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Post Number: 219
I bought a sheet wondering if anyone has tried this? I know BJ and others use Trupan Light but how about the Ultralight stuff it was only $34. I just hope it can withstand my 9515 and 3k watts. They can get 1" for $54 and I think it was $78 or $89 can't remember for 1 1/2" but they were out and would have to order it. pics ftw!

Upload

The one on the right is the Ultralight the left is MDF.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2176
Whats the difference in weight?

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Post Number: 220
TRUPAN ULTRA LIGHT---weighs approximately 60% of a standard mdf or about 60 lbs per sheet of 3/4" 4x8. I am trying to save a bit of weight on my poor ricer.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11768
y is that so ? - does it have a lesser moisture content which = less weight ??? .....

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5529
60 percent less weight is worth the price increase esp for a ricer ca yosay mpg boys and girls lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5530
60 percent less weight is worth the price increase esp for a ricer can you say mpg boys and girls lol

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Post Number: 221
Here I pulled this from the place I get it at.

"TRUPAN THE MERCEDES OF MDF"

"Trupan is a double refined medium density fiberboard produced from only fresh debarked Radiata Pine logs harvested from sustainable forests. By using only fresh Radiata Pine logs, no other species, or wood waste, Trupan is able to produce a very light colored medium density fiberboard. The use of Radiata Pine in the production of Trupan produces a fiberboard that is extremely easy to machine. The Radiata Pine content of Trupan tends to prolong cutter life. The double refining produces a board that is very consistent throughout its core, thus making it the perfect choice for edge profiling, moulding, and routing. Trupan is produced in Chile and imported into the United States. Because of the longer lead times it is important to have a supplier that carries an adequate inventory. At Schaller Hardwood Lumber Company, we carry perhaps the largest most diversified inventory of Trupan in the Midwest."

Link:http://www.schallerhardwood.com/new_page_2.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 5531
thats only 12 dollars more exensive than .75 mdf here....is that trupan light 4 x 8 ft?

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Post Number: 223
Yeah thats for a 4x8 ft sheet.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2964
Regardless of the grade, if it is lighter it is less dense regardless of what anyone tells you. Density weighs... Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Post Number: 225
From what I get its not that its not as dense but more the material that is used to make the sheet is just lighter thus making it lighter as a whole. Actually wouldn't it be more dense since it is double refined?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2183
I have used this stuff for years and it is a great product. The reason it is lighter is due to the fact that because they remove everything but the pure wood particles, they are very fine and uniformly sized so they fit together much better and require less glue. Polo is correct in saying that Trupan is less dense than regular MDF, about 15% -- but in my experience this is not a factor and the many advantages it has more than makes up for it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3443
Build a box out of carbon fiber since you guys are so worried about watching your weight :-)

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2186
^^^ LOL that would be bad azz except for the fact it would cost a couple grand. But seriously, the final weight of Trupan is just one advantage, the stuff cuts so easy and razor sharp and finishes like a dream. And it is also much easier to move around when you are working on it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3449
Oh and another thing for you guys to think about when it comes to weight issues and your car,pass on the donuts next time they come around.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2966
"Oh and another thing for you guys to think about when it comes to weight issues and your car,pass on the donuts next time they come around."

I second that you Fat @ss's, lol. BTW, carbon fiber isn't dense either, just strong. Variety of densities have a proven accoustical effect but there are other factors and the biggest is, will you notice them... :-) Polo..

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2188
Hey now... I know you weren't referring to me specifically but I am back down to 190, which is my ideal weight because if I get much lighter than that I won't be as confident in kicking the crap out of 2-3 d-bags at a time who try to hit on my g/f nearly every weekend. But... that's the price you pay when you date a true 10, and I have accepted that responsibility

Gold Member

Post Number: 3455
I'll give your GF a true 10 Brad!Lol.I might have to give her 2 five times to give it to her but she'll get it!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2967
Ya Brad, how about a pic so we can grade her, lol? Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 3457
Actually Brad,I had never seen her besides her backside. And what I meant by giving her a true 10 was I'd give her 2'' five times lol.Way to kill a good joke

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2191
I figured that, but you forgot the " so I thought you might of meant you would rate her a 2 five times lol. Yeah... alot of girls have told me about the "latino curse".

Gold Member

Post Number: 3458
That's funny Brad because a lot of white chicks have said the same thing to me about you white guys

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2970
"latino curse"

LilRob would know about that, lol! I think Asian's have more of a problem, Ummmm Chadddd....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3459
Why are we even getting into this?!

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2193
You're the one who said you were packing 2" lol.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2194
Polo did you see the link I posted (and later deleted)? I don't like to leave links like that up here too long because of the spiders.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2973
No, lol.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8141
Brad's girl is top shelf. I've seen the pics. You lucky azz lol.

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 242
Back on topic.
I cant speak of Ultralight, but when it comes to Trupan light, weight is the biggest factor the customer will notice. As Brad already said, it cuts so much easier, routes easier, holds screws better. It is a much better product all around. If you want to argue its less dense, fine, but throw a little bracing in there and you will save on weight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us