Volt drop i think

Silver Member
Username: Jonesp

Post Number: 316
latley my amp has been cutting out for a couple seconds then back on. i have a digi amp and i looked at the volt reading and it drops to like 9 and cuts off. i got my alt and battery checkes and there fine. any suggestions. i duno if itis the wiring im using or not.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3070
What amp, and is it a stock alt?

HO alt is usually needed for amps over ~1000 watts or your voltage will drop like is happening to you.

Double check all power and ground connections first though. This can happen if something is making a bad connection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 317
mrd-1005 yea its stock alt.
hasn't been doing it until like 2 weeks ago had it for like 2 years

i think it might be the wiring because i used a cheap brand and i was told all the guages are like half. so i got a 4g and i think its more like an 8g. so i was thinking of doing the big three then doing 0g to the back to the amp then put a little dist. thing on it then put 4g right before it connects

Bronze Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 15
Take a digital multimeter and measure your voltage at the front of the car (at your battery) when the car is playing loud. Is it dropping to 9v up there? If it stays around 14v at the front, but drops to 9 at the back, its a sure bet to upgrade your wire. If its dropping real low up front, upgrade your alt- you might've been slowly killing it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
i went to autozone and got everything checked and my alt is running at 13.7 volts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us