Breakin in subs??? ogle's opinion doesnt count...

Silver Member
Username: Nvmyboom

Post Number: 240
is there such thing as to "breaking in subs"?

I have two ssd's.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 2169
such thing... yes

worth the wait... no

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 857
OGLE got PWNED in the title and i say crank them bishes up maine they should be good

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
"should", u said should, thats like 80%,

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 859
thats what the warranty is for incase that 20% happens

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

Formerly known as Wolf...

Post Number: 257
i kinda "broke in" my little subs when I got them, ran them off the HU for a little while, until i got the amp, then..I've cranked them pretty hard since then

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 490
I blaired my SSD the first day I got it.

My opinion on breaking in subs:

After a while of playing, sure, they will get louder. But as far as damaging the sub, it wont happen. Think of it this way, a quality product should work right out of the box without having to worry about the product breaking by doing what it is made to do, otherwise it isn't quality.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 860
wolfy you know you only did that because you didn't have an amp

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

Formerly known as Wolf...

Post Number: 258
WELL YEAH!! but I would say that still kinda broke them in...lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
ill play them half way ogle, hows that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2170
just slam them once thats all i want

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1713
no need to "break in" subs...they will be fine ;), but you will notice a difference in sound/loudness after the suspension loosens up

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5396
i kinda broke in my SSD....but no, dont worry about it. it will get louder after a few weeks or days depending hn how much your in your car

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3057
This topic gets debated a lot..........

My take on it: I've never seen a sub damaged because it wasn't broken in. IMO that is BS. I've seen plenty of subs change sound a little bit after the suspension was broken in.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2168
Take it easy on them for a week or so then beat down the block. my 2 cent

Gold Member

Post Number: 2171
um joey.... stfu

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2956
It all depends on the situation. If it is a low budget sub then let it rip. If it is a good quality-built sub then it depends on the these three things, 1.) Stiffness of suspension 2.)Amount of available power 3.) Ambient temperature. The more strain placed on an electrical motor will result in a higher heat yield. If there is a lot of available power then these heat gains will result quicker and do more damage. If the ambient temperature is high it will be harder for the sub to disipate heat resulting in a type of heat saturation possibly damaging the sub. There are a lot of variables but it all depends on the amount of heat. Large magnetic structures alowed to heat up in the summer sun in an enclsoure or not are very prone to damage because they are hot before you even applied power, blew my SSX the first week I had it this way and took me a long time to fix it. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2169
Whats the worst that can happen if you take it easy on your subs for a week or so. nothing

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
"Whats the worst that can happen if you take it easy on your subs for a week or so. nothing"

The worst that could happen? You would consider yourself an idiot for beliveing that they have to be broken in. And you have to live with the thing in your car at low volume. No way in he11 I could do that for some BS reason.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
hmmmmm, i think ill just play them easy for a lil, cant hurt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1716
"hmmmmm, i think ill just play them easy for a lil, cant hurt."

Haha...yeah right

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
lol, i will try, but ill have to keep ogle away from the volume knob, he keeps tryin to talk me into slammin them hard instantly, what a nice guy,...caring about other peoples equipment they paid for....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1717
it's not going to hurt those subs

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2961
"The worst that could happen? You would consider yourself an idiot for beliveing that they have to be broken in. And you have to live with the thing in your car at low volume. No way in he11 I could do that for some BS reason."

Coming from a Newbie, and yes Nick you are a newb. It isn't the fact of breaking things in but in all actuality it is mainly to loosen up the spider(s). If you cannot see the strain that shi can put on the motor assembly then hey, do what you want because you probably ain't running enough power as it is... :-O Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
im hearing to many "yes"'s and "no"'s
i will just play them half way, and i will be using a bxi2006, so about 800w rms apiece, hopefully thats enough.
sorry ogle, lol, looks like u will just have to wait...

Silver Member

Post Number: 500
Yea I know im a noob, but I'm still learning lol. I just never saw a point in breaking in a sub if it supposed to be quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
you guys know what, 26 posts on this thread and i still dont know whether to "break" in subs or not.

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 495
I've always done it. maybe its just superstition but it just makes too much sense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1732
bro...you don't need to break them in...they will be fine

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8118
I want to see a link from any sub manufacturer claiming a "break in" period is required or damage will result. I'm not challenging ANYONE, I just want to see/read one. Has anyone seen such a warning from their subs? Such an issue should have been addressed by now if one really exists.

Can a sub vendor comment please?

Do we need mythbusters?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
yes, mythbusters should solve this...no doubt, someone should call them right now, i need to know soon

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3292
breaking in subs makes them more musical, depending on where u get your subs u might have to break it in or not....if you buy used subs more then likly you dont have to, buying SQ or SQL drivers new... you want to break them in IMO but SPL drivers dont really need it i dont think since they are meant to have the stiffer suspension.

Silver Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 111
from another guy like you whos not exactly a guru at it:

this is asked alot, i started the same type of forum when i first got mine. and it seems 50/50 to me. a dealer and person who installs subs will tell you to play them at half or so to let them break in. i was told 4-5 days. other people think 2 weeks.

to be on the safe side, since it is your money, play them at half of their RMS for a couple hours so they at least get used to bouncing around, i mean they sat on the shelf without moving for how long right? its hard to wait but i think instead of playing them loud off the bat with reduced sound quality and ppossibly breaking them that its worth it to wait 5 or 6 hours before you crank them right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
i will supply full power to them, im just gonna keep the volume down for a lil,
I havnt had much experience with subs, but these new ssd's seem to be fairly tight, so ill wait to slam them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8129
Gut response is that it's BS. Yes things will loosen up over time/useage. If any company won't warrant their product straight out of the box to perform as spec'd then walk away. Right?

Still waiting on any break in period specified from any sub company.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5515
yes it is safer to do so and the sub should get louder ours did

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 874
Here you go Paul. Straight from Rockford Fosgate.

"Product Advisory

Due to the design of the Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow subwoofers, a 24-48 hour "break-in" period is required to allow for maximum excursion and low frequency extension. The shallow woofers suspension is intentionally designed to optimize once the internal components are excercised under normal music listening conditions. Rockford Fosgate bass is now available in a much smaller space!!

To "break-in" your woofers, operate your system at normal listening levels so the total listening time is between 24 to 48 hours. Refrain from operating the system at high volumes (don't "bump it") yet until the woofer's suspension has reached it's normal relaxed state."

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 875
I looked there first because when I bought my Punch HE's a few years ago, there was a warning on the box about not "flooring" them the first time you use them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2177
These is from DD(email)

We recommend breaking them in with a good week or so at 3/4 volume. There is a huge thing going around with opinions on each side about "break in", either being a myth or being necessity. Without a break in time, there is a better chance stood of possibly separating a glue joint where a broken in subwoofer will not even have 1/3 the stress at that joint at the same excursion per given frequency. When the spiders are new and at maximum rigidity, you put more stress on the former/spider glue joint as well as the landing/spider glue joint. The higher the frequency, at the same excursion level, naturally the higher the stress at those joints. This is why we recommend breaking them in on a fairly low frequency at medium excursion. The "other side" of the argument is that to break them in you just bang them. The only reason for those folks saying that is that they are lucky enough to be the ones that have not broken something before doing that exact thing. They are probably DD customers! We do everything we can to prevent damage from happening even under the stress of maximum excursion blasts on brand new subs and have not had a problem yet. This does not mean that we do not still recommend the break in period. Aside from the argument, during the subs' break in.....which can take the average consumer up to 6 MONTHS to accomplish.....they get louder and louder.

Best regards,

/tek

Gold Member

Post Number: 8131
Nice work Mark and Joey.

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 383
i think this is a job for the mythbusters i am gona email them right now...........

lol jk

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 384
oh i dint read someone already said that lol i got pwned

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 922
thats my job i'm too late

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2965
SHUT UP PAUL, TOLD YOU SOOO!!! BIIAATTCHHH... :-OUpload

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3442
^ You would think that picture gets old :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 134
Mam on your subs it wont matter all, however they will get louder after about a week/2 weeks. Breaking in subs the proper way takes a lot of effort and time. my suggestion is play them at half for the first couple hours then gradualy turn it up....u should have no troubles..

Bronze Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 42
I think that SQ and SQL subs need to be broke in but we actually tell guys who run our SHW subs for SPL only to just screw them in make sure they are wired correctly then hit them with what they have in the lane. Strictly SPL subwoofers are designed to play 45 Hz + so the more you loosen the subwoofer the worse score you get at least with our subwoofer. It is only a small difference but for guy who struggles to add.1 or .2 db it is a big deal. We put 3-6 spiders on the SHW to ensure they stay stiff. For SQ or SQL breaking them in will help with the response. Our SQ and SQL subwoofers need a few days of break in if possible then after that more break in will do nothing because they are then were they are going to stay. Our spiders are a poly/cotton with resign they keep their integrity and don't stretch. Some subwoofers have spiders that will stretch resulting in the subwoofer sitting lower than before resulting in a loss of performance.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2968
"Some subwoofers have spiders that will stretch resulting in the subwoofer sitting lower than before resulting in a loss of performance."

Some sub companies account for this and build an offset so when it does stretch/break-in it is as close to true as possible resulting in better performance, after the fact... Polo..

Bronze Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 43
We have offset also on our drivers. What I was saying is there are spiders that actually just keep stretching and result in the subwoofer sitting lower and losing performance. We tested a lot of different spiders before going with the progressive roll with the resign. What we did to test this is building the subwoofers and setting them out free air with 20 Hz tones for long periods of time them testing for t/s and repeating that a few times then testing t/s again and at the end we will install them and listen. Believe me when I say many spiders do not stand up to abuse over time. We had them stretch and even rip. We actually have some spiders in R&D that are linear we are trying to develop one that will allow 4" of excursion for our new Basket that is coming shortly.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2192
Many pro-sound driver manufacturers such as JBL, Gauss, EV, and McCauley put all of their drivers through brutal full power tests that last up to 100 hours. So when they leave the factory they are broken in and certified to do rated power. I am surprised more car audio companies don't take this approach although it would add considerable time (and in turn, $$$) to their operations.

I have always allowed an hour or so break-in period at a medium level for the drivers I have installed and/or bought for personal use if only to allow the resonant frequency to settle into place so that I can accurately assess the driver-to-box matching. Other than that, like Steve and others have said, mostly what loosens up is the spider... and it also allows the surround to seat and work in a bit before it is driven at full excursion. Any coil-based driver will sound better after about several weeks of use, including headphones.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8137
Lol Polo. One of the things I said was that I never read anything to confirm nor deny the famous break in period debate. (Your commentary not included.) I wanted a manufacturer's response. This issue, to me, seems only related to those looking for high output from their sub "out of the box" and one can only assume from the result of this thread that doing so CAN (not will) end with ill result. I will always be curious as to what a manufacturer's stance would be to a warranty claim involving damage to one of their drivers in a properly installed system during the infamous break in period.

Thread mission accomplished. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

We really need stickies in this place.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us