How do i go about setting the gain on my amp? can anyone give me advice?

Bronze Member
Username: Basssjunckie

Post Number: 24
i have a brand new kicker cvx 12" running off a rockford fosgate punch p550.2 amp. how do i go about setting the gain on my amp and also how long should i break my sub in for?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 484
you don't need to break your sub in. breaking it in is just loosening the suspension. I'm going to when I get my Mach 5s because I won't be able to listen to them all that often so they won't be as loud as they could be for a few months. They'll break in from normal listening. Then you get to hear them get louder and louder too, which is always satisfying. I can't find the link to how to set your gains and I am way too lazy to type it out. I'll post it if I find it though.

more on breakin em in:

"You need a test tone CD (here is a download) with a 10 minute track of the tone that corresponds with the Fs of the woofer. You need to be able to hang the woofer up in mid air, through one of the mounting holes in the frame, letting it hang freely. There should be no walls close to the woofer, and the woofer certainly shouldn't be laying on the table on its magnet (as you often see in videos). The nearby table or wall acts to compress the air behind the cone so avoid those types of disturbances.

The idea is to play the sine wave tone through the woofer at resonant frequency in free air. A very slight amount of power will enable the woofer to move at full excursion. You have to first find out what the Xmax is so that you can look at the excursion and gauge (by eye) the approximate excursion you're putting the woofer through. A subwoofer with a one-way excursion of 12 mm would look like its moving about an inch as the voice coil moves back and forth. You'll note that you are allowing only a few watts of power to reach full Xmax, so be careful with the volume control.

If you're working with a car subwoofer, you can prop the trunk lid and hang it from that. If you're working with a home sub, you can hang it from the ceiling of the room near the amplifier. Play the tone at Fs, watch the cone movement while adjusting volume, and let it flap and whirrr for the 10 minute period. It will sound more like a fan than a subwoofer. Allow 10 minutes cooling time, then run it again a few sets. Your woofer is now broken in." creds to stevdart from the12volt.com

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 358
Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm4aaC87ARg
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us