Hi-low converter

Bronze Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 45
Ok, so my system is hooked up with a hi-low converter as it is now. Its actually hooked up to the rear left speaker in my car, then to the sub amplifier. I did not do this...the guys who installed the old system in my car did this. I'm putting in nice new equipment and I want it to sound excellent.

Does pulling the audio from that rear left speaker degrade quality?
Are there particular brands of hi-low converters that are better than others?

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 130
Why in the hell would anyone put a lp crossover on a mid range speaker? And just the left one at that?
You do mean a 6x9, 6x5, something like this and not a sub?

I'm almost sure I'm misunderstanding you here, but the way I read it, if it was me, I'd pull off all the crossovers on the mids, that will make them sound a lot better,
lot more range,
have those running from either the HU or a 4 channel amp, and have a mono or 2 channel amp set on LPF for subs. I wouldn't even use an external crossover.

Now you seem like a knowledgeable guy, so I'm almost certain that this isn't what you meant.

So uh... Huh?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I think you misunderstood. The high low converter is not running TO the 6x9 speaker, it's running from it to my subwoofer amplifier.

Basically my HU does not have RCA outputs, so I need an adapter to take the HU outs and convert to RCA to plug into my sub amp. However, when the guys that did the install set it up, they just took the audio from my rear left in car speaker. It seemed weird to me, but I think it was just a fast way to do it. Problem is it's only getting a mono signal - all from the left because they twisted to two feeds together into one channel. So I think I might just run some speaker wire from the rear right speaker into the converter and get it stereo that way. Still unsure though.

Its a hard thing to explain...does it make sense yet?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2574
Rich, it is correct the way it is now. The LOC gets connected to the speaker wire, it doesn't matter where.

And you won't get stereo no matter what. Think about it, subwoofer amps are mono, they don't need a stereo signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayzbent

IL. USA

Post Number: 19
You could get one of these or the LC8 not depends they are pricey though. http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=222456&d_Id=17612&l1=17 612&l2=

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 2346
They also sell line output converters at best buy for $25

Username: Sb052287

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
I have a hi/low adapter and when i installed it I tested exactly what you are talking about Rich. The hi/low adapter has one end with your RCA outputs and the other end has a 6 wires comeing out of it the two brown ones are your ground wires which you dont need to use that leaves you with four wires. two of those four or your positive and negative which are to be plugged in on your left rear speaker. The other two are your other negative and postive for your right rear speaker. And yes it does make a difference in the loudness and sound quality of your a subwoofer. Think about it if the adapter is only getting the left side of your stereo it will only be getting that half of the HU's output...make sense?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Absolutely. I just finished setting everything else up in my car, and now I'm going to redo the hi-low. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 9
I ASSURE YOU WILL HAVE A LOUDER SOUND :-) WITH BOTH HOOKED UP TO YOUR STEREO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Well I finished it a little while ago but something is strange...The positive and negative inputs for the hi/lo have to both be tied into the same line in order to get signal. So, one + and - are wired to the green wire on one speaker, and the other + and - are wired to the red wire on the other speaker. That was the only way to get it to work...it also is not any louder.

I tried wiring the + and - to the red and green on each speaker respectively, but that gave me no sound...I'm confused because that makes no sense to me at all...but it works..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2671
What shea said about wiring the converter is absolutely false. The amplifier gain is used to match the input signal. The level of the input signal doesn't matter, setting the gain properly calibrates the amp to it.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 26
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE FALSE ADVICE THATS WHAT I EXPERINCED IN MY TRIAL AND ERROR

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
No problem! Point is, it works :-)
And ohhh DOES it work!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums