So what causes dustcaps to blow off?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2823
I blew another dustcap off one of my SSI 10.22's today. I am running almost double the power for each sub and they sound great but today I played Pacman and blew a cover. I noticed that when it came off there was airpressure coming from the front of the coil so that means there is a good amount of pressure behind the cap, maybe they should be glued better? About 6 mos ago I blew the other but I used 5min epox and never had that one fail again. Anyhoo I also noticed with the cap off bass was drastically reduced, why? Polo..

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12844
did the dustcap fly to the front of the car polo?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 705
It's part of the seal I guess. It's like having a subwoofer with no surround.

I'm just guessing here though...

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1643
if u look down its just a hole into the box if theres no cap. so i guess its like another port lol

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3151
the reason bass was drastically reduced is because the dust cap covers the pole vent, so when the dust cap blows off is like having a hole in your box the back wave and front wave collied and cancel out. the reason it blew off was becuse its probally old and couldn't take the pressure, its really not uncommon to blow off dustcaps people do it all the time espically with subs that have no pole vent like the re mt, or treo csx.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2824
Actually Chad somehow it landed in the seat pocket behind the front passenger seat. I didn't even notice until I was WTF am I getting use to the loudness already, then I noticed the turbulant noise from the coil. I can't wait till I am done sanding and finishing my 15 enclosure, miss the SSX! Polo..:-O

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 805
Its a glue issue AFAIK, with some Treos. Its not uncommon to drill holes in the DC of the CXT or CSX's to keep em on.

CA glue, or Black Max, and it will NEVER happen again, like you said. Annoying, but minor.

I havent had it happen with any sold this year.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 118
how do you fix a half pushed in dustcap? blow it off ,fix it and glue it back on? or is there an easier way?

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 59
depends on what the caps made of. if it's anything the paper, i have taken a mild hot glue gun and a glue stick pile some glue on it. took a spare glue stick stuck it to the dust cap and let it harden. then gentely pulled my dust cap back out while peeling the glue off. i don't reccommend this unless it's a poly dust cap cause it could bond and ruin something. but be very careful i'm not liable if anything goes wrong.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2825
"how do you fix a half pushed in dustcap? blow it off ,fix it and glue it back on? or is there an easier way?"

If it has a vented pole piece try GENTLY using a wooden dowel rod through the vent if you get lucky it will pop the cap off and all you do is reglue but if not it will at least push it back out. Now if there is no vent then try what kieth says. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4361
haha that seems to be a fairly common problem with treos.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us