Poly-fil???

Bronze Member
Username: Schinner

Post Number: 21
does i need to put poly fil in the box, its a sealed enclosure. also could i just use home insulation instead????

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4750
depends only if your box is too small for your subs.. did you custom make it or is it a pre-fab? you use polyfill in boxes to "fool" the subs that they are in a bigger enclosure :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
well its custom built...meets manuals recommended volume.....but manual also states that 50% loose polyfil should be added, regardless of box size, to me i dont really think its necessary, what would you say?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4752
i dont think its necessary if it meets the subs rec. enclosure specs. I dont think there would be a big diff in sound anyway since your box size seems to be fine, but you could experiment and put some in there and see if you can tell a diff in sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
alright thanks...im not putting it in, for now at least

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4755
sounds good :-)

but do realize that boxes do sound better with some sort of insulation inside. the insulation absorbs unwanted sound generated from the back of the cone, that would otehrwise bounce around the box, and will help with your subs response and reduce peaking.

so it really is your call

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1516
"but do realize that boxes do sound better with some sort of insulation inside."

i was going to say that...

i personally use polyfil in alot of applications.

i use it for the ole "fool the speaker into thinking its in a bigger box" thing and i use it in my doors to "fool the speakers into thinking its in a box, period." i stuff polyfil all around the speaker so there isnt alot of waves traveling all through my doors.

i dont know if polyfil helps much but i havent stopped using it in stuff since around '98...

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1517
also, i use it in boxes just to make them sound more mellow and tone down on any "port noise" of any type...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4764
thank you for stating what i said :-)

lol, jp

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12837
everything bman said.

Gold Member