Help Tuning Equipment!

Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 2
Car: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3
Current Components:
Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-6700MP
Subs - x2 10" Pioneer TS-W251R
Amp - Pioneer GM-5300T

Ok, I have the head unit and amp and subs all installed, amp is hooked up in 2 channel with both subs. But what I need help on is tuning it all up for the best sound. On the amp, there is a LPF switch (which I turned on) and there is the gain knob, and a bass boost swith with 0, 6, or 12 (i have it on 0). Speakers are still stock in rest of car, and I need help on the tuning. I am completly new at this, and I have no idea where to start tuning. Specific help would be awesome. Far as I can think of, I should get bass blockers for 4 stock speakers in the car, but other than that I have no idea. Thanks for all the help guys!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2389
Ok first of all, do not ever run subs in stereo. A class D mono amp is best for subs cause it is more efficient. That 2 channel stereo amp will work, but you have to bridge it.

What impedance (ohms) are your subs so we can figure out how to wire them?

After that's done gain setting is the next thing:

Use this calculator
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

And this tutorial
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

Ignore JLs voltage table, use the number you got from the calculator.

LPF should be on and bass boost at 0. You've got those right.

Post Number: 3
Ok, the subs are 4ohm...but what do you mean by do not run subs in stereo? what exactly does that mean. And the subs are bridged right now with the amp.

Post Number: 5
Ok, I think I figured it out. The amp is rated 380WX1 RMS so I put 380 in the first part of the calc. The subs are both 4 Ohm, and in parallel dont that make them 2 Ohm? So would I put 2 or 4 in the second part of the calculator? If its 4, then I need 39 volts, but if its 2, i need 27.6 volts. Please verify which voltage I need to goal for, and as for the test sound, does 50hz sound good enough?

Thanks again for the help

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2397
If each sub is 4 ohm...... that's not good. Most 2 channel amps are only stable to 4 ohms bridged, and two 4 ohm subs makes 2 ohms.

Read the manual for the amp and find out how to bridge it. If it can't be bridged at 2 ohms, you need a different amp (a 2 ohm stable mono amp).

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 39
Or, you could wire them in series to get 8 ohms, but I don't think you'd like the lack of punchiness. I'd only do that if your stuck with that amp till you can get a different one.

Post Number: 6
according to the manual, i cant bridge it with 2 4 ohm subs...meaning, i have to run them in series, which is like sunny mills says...lack of punchiness. Ok, so what is a decent but cheap mono beginner amp that can power two 300w, 4 ohm subs? I was thinking maybe Pioneer PRS-D1100M (600 Watts x 1, at 2 ohms). Or maybe Pioneer GM-7300M (360 Watts x 1, at 2 ohms). But like i said, im new at all this so Im not sure if i need 360w to power 2 300w(125 rms) subs in parallely, or if i need more like 600w

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2401
You need an amp that does at least 600 watts at 2 ohms......

Kicker ZX750.1 would be awesome. Good amount of headroom (more power than you need), and good quality.

Post Number: 7
ya, it is nice, but im looking for something a little cheaper. ya know, senior in HS, working at McDonalds, heading off to college in a few months, i dont exactly have a lot of money.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 246
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2680_--+FINAL+CLOSEOUT+--+MA+Audio+M1889I.ht ml

try this baby out. Should give you a clean 600+ watts rms at 2 ohms. most people will say MA Audio sucks but for 100 bucks you can't beat it. ive used their 400-2000wrms monoblocks and have had no complaints.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2512
MA audio sucks. No really, that's not a joke.

The Kicker is about $150-$175 on ebay. It is well worth it to spend the extra $50 to get an amp that's about 1000% better quality.

Post Number: 8
i talked to the guy who is making my box and he says if i got that kicker at 600 rms, it would blow the subs out of the box. subs are only nominal at 120 ea.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2809
Stop measuring in peak watts, in means absolutely nothing. Always measure in RMS watts.

Look for an amplifier that at least 300 at 2 ohms. You can always use an amp with more power than you need and just not use the amps full potential.

Post Number: 9
i am looking only at rms, my subs are only 120 rms each...and bridged would be 2 ohm imped. So an amp that is 300 rms at 2 ohms, 1 channel would do the trick. I want to get a different amp, but I just dont know what one i can get for my price. I like that kicker one, but I want to find one a little cheaper cause i dont have a lot of money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us