Wiring batteries

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1137
im buying an SVR33-12 batterie and they are no longer produced. i want to buy another of the SVR28-12 which has the EXACT same specs as the SVR33-12 except its 5lbs lighter, so would i be able to wire the 28 and 33 together as 2nd and 3rd batteries since they have the same specs just different weight and shape ??

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2361
I wouldn't. If it's 5lbs lighter, something is different inside....... it is the resistance of the battery that matters when wiring in parallel. No two batteries will ever have the exact same resistance, which is why it's not even good to wire identical batteries in parallel for a daily system. If they are identical, it will be close though, and probably not cause a problem if you don't let the car sit for a long time.

In this case I would bet that they are not identical inside.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1785
so MS will it not b good if i leave my stock battery in, and wire 3 marathon batts up in the back??

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 790
Isolated, yes. Other than that, no.

Drop a marathon in up front as well.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1787
So i should jus remove teh stock batt and put a marathon there, and 2 marathons in the back?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2377
^^^^ You could do that, or isolate the bank of batteries from the front battery, either method works.

When designing a system, I do not even wire more than one of the exact same battery together, because I never know if somebody may let the car sit for a long time without being driven. Like I said, batteries wired in parallel will slowly drain each other. If you drive you car regularly it's not a problem though, since the alternator recharges them. If you let the car sit for several weeks or months and then went to start it, you most likely would have a bank of dead batteries, or low voltage at least.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us