Having trouble putting sound system together.

Username: Charlesbhs

Post Number: 1
My problem is pretty simple. I just got a brand new 200 328i with what i think is the premium sound system but i still really want to get some subwoofer's or maybe just one very powerful one. There are alot of problems with doing this: First the trunk is really not that big and 2nd i heard that most european cars trunks are sealed tight so i might not get as good sound or something like that. I really want JL Audio ever since i heard the sound quality. All i have been doing the last month is driving around in my friends Grand Prix with 2 sony xplods. in a sealed box. all i want to know is what subs and amps should i get and how much will it run by me to get installed. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2772
Well with a small trunk and looking for SQ thats better then if you were looking for SPL because of the box space needed for ported.. but depending on the trunk size you stil might be limited alot more... get some trunk measurements and a budget.... you will get more responses

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2364
Tell us how many cubic feet you've got to work with..... you should be able to get a Fi Q in there. That is an SQ sub that also has good output. Or if you really want JL get some W6s.... best SQ subs they make.

About the trunk being sealed, that can usually be fixed by cutting through the rear deck and doing something to conceal the hole..... carpet or something.

Post Number: 2
ok there's more bad news i forgot to mention earlier. This car is a lease so i cant do much custom work to it. i wanted to spend between 500-1500 and the trunk measurements are: 38 inches deep 27/37/41 inches wide( you'll understand why in pics) 15 1/2 - 20 1/2 tall(you'll understand why in pics). I really want a SQ system i hate spl systems i love music to much.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 3
here's all the measurements on the pic so you understand.Upload

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2376
Thats enough space for two 15"s.......

Since you can't modify the car, IDK if JL W6s will have enough output for you. For a good SQ system with good output, I would put two 15" Qs in there. Port the box real low maybe 30hz or so, throw about 1000 watts on each sub, and you've got a clean hard-hitting system

Post Number: 4
i dont understand how 2 15's would fit in there.. does anybody else have any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 311
with 2kw he would need an alt upgrade tho wouldn't he? maybe an 18" Q? or a 15" Mag?

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
well as long as you have the cubic feet then you can fit em. and ms can probably get a ballpark from lookin at the dims so if he says you can then you probably can.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6494
That's not a small trunk. With a little tweeking in box design you can maximize what's there. Not much room for anything else but.....

Post Number: 5
can somebody give me some pricing on all this? and if anybody has any ideas about any 12" subs or something i do want some trunk space since this is my everyday car}

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2379
Damn I forgot about the alternator: you can't run more than about 1000 watts on a stock alt, and since the car is leased you don't want to modify it.

Ok, in this case I would run one 18" Q with a 1000 watt amp. That will kick some major as$ in SQ and still have good output. One 18" will fit in there with space left over. Like Paul said, that's a big as$ trunk.

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
well. i dunno. in your position i'd just do a single 15 or 18. if you want more space a single 15 would probably do fine. Nick V got 143 db on music with a single ssd. the si mag is $500 at low-hz but if you call kevin you might get a better deal. that and a p1000.1 and you're at $775 shipped. maybe less if you call kevin. god damn. living in the US makes car audio so much cheaper. a lot of the sh!t i want i gotta import to canada which costs a shitload in shipping and then theres those fees i cant remember the name of that they charge you. customs.

Post Number: 6
how much would that cost? and are you talking about the Audiobahn Q series?

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
nope he's talkin Fi Q.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154647a811925ab/shopdata/0020_Q/product_overview.shopscript
that is $309 plus that massive p1000.1 would have you at $585.
there's that amp. someone might find you a better one.
http://www.low-hz.com/commerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id= 58&osCsid=31a20b77ea35ffcd9b28aeb239e69eee
mag 15
http://www.low-hz.com/commerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_24&products_id= 35&osCsid=31a20b77ea35ffcd9b28aeb239e69eee

Post Number: 7
I live in dallas, Tx and the only places i know who might install it is CarToys. are they good?

Post Number: 8
18" inch Q or Mag 15" which is better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
i dunno. you can do it yourself tho. the only problem is when you do that you start plannin systems in your head. thats what happened to me and i was goin to bed at 9:30 and not getting to sleep til like 1:00 for a while. its fun installing it yourself though. and we can help you out with any questions. especially MS lol. if you're interested you can start reading here.
http://www.bcae1.com/
http://the12volt.com/
http://caraudiobook.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
i dont have experience with either sub at all so this is just to sorta i dunno give an idea i guess. im guessing the mag will sound tighter and more accurate but the Q will win in output and extension. dont take that for much tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6498
I have both the 15" Mag and the 18"Q. Love the Mag. Want to put her behind glass. The Q is just more for your $$.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2381
Q vs. Mag is a tough contest..... can't say I could pick one over the other.

A very important thing to note: remember to factor in the cost of a box. The enclosure matters much more than sub that's in it, believe it or not. A prefab box can make a great sub sound like crap while a good custom box will make it sound great.

You can contact Canaan on this forum or Mark Potts at www.spkrman.com for a well built box. Make sure to specify that you want an SQ system though, the box design makes a huge difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6500
^^^It is a VERY tough contest between the two. I love them both. In the end though it will come down to budget. I'm anxiously awaiting the new Mag line, just for giggles.

Post Number: 9
Does anybody have any idea's of 4" speakers?? i was thinking about redoing the whole speaker system as well and add a 4 channel amp. hoping to spend around 400-500

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1861
Well the 18" Q needs like 6-10 cubes ported so unless it is gunna be sealed..cause he still wants some space but i would do a 15" Q to save some space.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
how much would the mag need?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
how many cubes ported would the mag need?*

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2689
If you really want sq, go with 2 12's. 2 JL W6v2's or w/e version is out now. Give them a total of about 1000rms and you'll have a good sounding sq system. any of the other sub's mentioned above take upwards of 1000rms each. Its kind of a waste if you bought two of them because you can't fully power them. If you decide to go with the Fi Q's. Just get 1.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i still think 15" and 18" is still to big. isn't there any good but power full 12 or 10 inch sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
3.5 tuned to 30hz. talk to logan, of immortal box building, or mark potts for a box. if you want a quote from logan just post a thread with his name and enclosure in it. he'll be there in 5 seconds tops if he's on lol. but anyway.
http://thecaraudiobox.com/

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2691
you might also want to look into tcsounds. www.tcsounds.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
a single 15" Q would sound good. it would get loud and you would still have a fair bit of space left. at least half of your trunk.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2396
Lets review, you've got about 10 ft3 of usable space......

Q 15" takes a 2.8-4 ft3 box. Q 18" takes a 6-10 ft3 box. Somebody want to tell me how this isn't going to work, lol.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2793
^i can give you an idea.... entrance space since he doesnt want to do anything custom with the car... may not want to take out backseats if needed to get the box in..

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OK

Post Number: 313
since when can you say shitload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
how about two 12" w3v3 in a ported box

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 564
Rate these:
15 Q Ported
15 Q Sealed
18 Q Ported
18 Q Sealed

My trunk is tight on space and I'm looking for SQ.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us