Wierd Box Resonation

Username: Sterrett

Post Number: 1
I have 2 Fi BL 12's pushed by 2 strapped Alphasonic pma1200da amps in a ported 2.5 ft^3 box tuned at 34hz. I am getting a wierd reverberation from tunes that are higher in the scale. My frequency on the amp is set at 80 HZ. This is my first ported box, my smallest lowest powered system, and the first one in a daily driver...so there are too many varriable that I have no experience with to pinpoint the problem. Do I need to stuff the box, retune the port, or live with it? Thanks for any advice. It is a small problem and only noticable if you are listening for it, but I want it gone :-) DJ

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 226
they're each in 2.5 cubes right? so 5 cubes total? well i built my first box out of plywood and i had the same problem so i redesigned it and built it out of mdf and the resonating was gone.

Post Number: 2
Its made out of 5/8 mdf...and no its 2.5 total (inside volume)...its in the trunk a a lancer evo...its as big as I could go. THe trunk won't open now as it is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
that sounds small as hell. you got pics of your evo? what generation? wait for someone with more experience to figure out why you got resonance problems tho.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 779
80hz? Try 50-55hz.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2367
You need to sell one of your subs and only have a 1 12" setup..

Or you can keep the box, sell the subs, and get 10s.

2.5 total for 2 BL 12s is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small

Post Number: 3
My evo is a 2003 VIII...I don't have any pictures as it is just my daily driver...nothing too special...mostly stock with a few minor engine mods and some ecu work.....The box is small, but not too aweful small...it sounds pretty good (except for the little resonation)it dosen't low as it should, but that is the trade off for keeping the back seat.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1036
"The box is small, but not too aweful small"

if its 2.5 cuft its too small for 2 12"s

build a new box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
ahh didn't your second post...

reading > me

Post Number: 4
For what it is worth I have a show car that I put most of my extra cash in...don't laugh, but it is an older body style Hyundai Tiberon. I have done some extensive work to it...turbo..exhaust...lowered...it has no back seat and 8 JLW6V2 12's and 8 500W slash amps in it...I actually probably wouldn't be able to tell if it resonates or not :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12809
pics of the tiburon. please.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1039
wait...wtf ?

you just said you have 2 12" bl's

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
dif cars man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
F@CK !!!..

reading is pwning me today

Post Number: 5
I understand that the box is too small...by about .6-1 ft^3 according to FI specs...pretty sure that that wouldn't cause resonance...it would just effect the output frequency (ie it won't go as low as it should) I have been wrong before though...but I knew this when building it...I built it to fit the trunk...My calculations could be off on volume as it is not a perfect cube and has some angles that extend into the spare well and under the rear strut bar...the 2.5ft^3 was my low end estimate it is probably closer to 2.9 ft^3 but I didnt want to do calculus and it didn't really matter because it is physically impossble to make it bigger without modifying the structure of the trunk..

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 499
Trade a me a BL for a custom box ;)?

lol, j/k. If u want though, I could build you a custom box for one of those BL's, that way U could get better bump and not be pressed for space. Also, add some polyfill to that, trick the woofer into thinkin the box is 25% bigger.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1042
don't get a box from him

Gold Member

Post Number: 1043
^^^why do that ? build another box

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 555
i love evos

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 504
"don't get a box from him "

Wtf? Who are you to tell him to not buy a box from me. You wont beat my price and I dont do a sh!tty job.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 780
I must have replied in the wrong thread, i was looking for the fella that said.....

"Hey guys, im gonna tune my subs within 10hz of wtf my highs should be, then ask you why it sounds like sh!t in a box thats admittedly too small."

My bad.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2813
Usually if you get a weird high frequency rattle-like sound means a loose panel, something may have broken loose. I had a box that was breaking loose in one certain spot, only made noise at certain frequency, irritating to say the least. Polo..

Post Number: 6
"Hey guys, im gonna tune my subs within 10hz of wtf my highs should be, then ask you why it sounds like sh!t in a box thats admittedly too small."

My bad...the box is tuned at 34Hz the LPF is 80hz....I apologize for my apparent miscommunication and your apparent inability to read. Have a nice day

And I never said it sounded like sh!t...its just a little issue and I thought that some one could add some helpful advice....thank you for your negativity.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us