Solo Baric L7 or something different?

Username: Icecold

Post Number: 1
Lookin' for a little advice. I drive a 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II, and I'm lookin' for some bass. I'm interested in gettin' one Kicker L7 in a ported box with a sufficient amp. The amp is no problem, just wondering about the best sub for the buck. Should I get one L7 or two of something else? Or maybe even one of something else in the same price range? Let me know...

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4209
what's your budget for sub and amp? and you looking to have to upgrade your charging system (high output alt., batteries, etc.)?

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1213
Whatever you do, don't buy the L7. Like Mike said, give a budget and you can get a lot better.

Post Number: 2
Well, I'm not really sure...do I need to upgrade the charging system? I can get the L7 for a little over $200 and I was planning on buying an amp no more than $300. This stuff is temporary until I get a pay raise and I can afford to get something better. I know I need cables, and I'm looking into a new aftermarket HU. I just need something fast because this stock audio is garbage. So I'd say around $200 for sub/subs and around $300 for amp...

Silver Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 223
Get Fi ssd 15" like 200 shipped I think I kno the 12" is 189 shipped and an audiobahn A8000T amp make sure u get the ssd that can be run at 4 ohms the 1 ohm ssd will run at 4 ohms (pretty sure) and the amp is like 150 new on ebay matter of fact get the Audiobahn A8000V (newer version on the A8000T)... 150 shipped on ebay and you'll be poundin son... ficaraudio.com I think...

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 345
x2 on what dqight said...thats gonne be a hell of a lot clearer than a L7 and it will hit just as hard.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 335
As stated above, get a 15" SSD, but instead of that audiobahn amp, get a Hifonics Brutus Bxi 1200d. The Hifonics amp is inexpensive and provides plenty of clean power for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio DD Z1 you wi...

Post Number: 246
you could try 2 tc sounds db-500 12" 109 a piece http://tcsounds.com/db500.htm then look at a 600-800 watt rms at 2 ohm amp they will def sound good dont know how load itll get but they are suppose to be nice subs.... i was going to get 2 for a hometheater set up but dont feel like spending any money right now lol
(oh and if your trying to run 1 dvc sub at 4 ohms it will have to be a dual 2 ohm sub)

Post Number: 3
Aiight I'm definitely game to the Hifonics amp. I like that. As far as Fi SSD though, never heard of it. Is it good quality equipment? And as far as ohm's go...if I were to get the SSD, dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm? I don't have a clue the difference between a 1,2 or 4 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1746
Fi is basically the new thing. its very difficult to find negatives about it. you custom order the subs to the specs you want

ficaraudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 346
Icecold- are you saying you dont know what the difference is in 1,2, or 4, ohms... if thats what you dont know then the amount of ohms is the resistance that your amp has when feeding the sub power. For example- if you have a 1000 watts at 2 ohms then when you double the resistance you split the amount of power. so you would only have 500 watts at 4 ohms. hope that helps man

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the info! 'Preciate it, Jordan, for explaining that. Makes sense, I just don't understand what the impact is from getting a 1 ohm over a 2 ohm or vice versa. Anyways, I think I know what I'm gonna go wit'. Let me know if this setup is compatible: 1)The Fi SSD15 at dual 1 ohm. 2)Hifonics Brutus BXi-606 Monoblock Amplifier. 3) The Obcon GZ 318 HIGH-PERFORMANCE SERIES 15" SINGLE box with 3.75 Cu Ft Air Space. Sound like a good starting point? Get at me!

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 657

quote:

For example- if you have a 1000 watts at 2 ohms then when you double the resistance you split the amount of power. so you would only have 500 watts at 4 ohms. hope that helps man

Not always the case, but you've got the idea. More resistance = Less power.

Icecold, if you're getting that Hifonics, you will want the dual 2 ohm configuration SSD. Dual 2 ohm in parallel = 1ohm :-)

As for the box, how much are you paying for it?
You can build your own that would most likely be better, louder, and customizeable for cheaper. Supplies for a box are only ~$60-70.

They are not hard to make, there are a bunch of Ported box calculators you can use to get dimensions.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4210
first, if getting a amp that does the power you need at 1ohm then get the dual 2ohm vc sub.

second, if getting hifonics go with a bigger amp then what you need since they overrate their amps.

and about the box, skies is right. prefab boxes suck, especially ported ones'. a crappy box can ruin the best sub. either make one yourself or have someone make it for you. start a thread for logan or something, he makes boxes for cheap and better than any prefab you'll buy.

so go with this setup instead of the one you posted:
15" fi ssd, dual 2ohm vc
hifonics 1206 amp
and a non-prefab box

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 336
^^^^Exactly

The only problem I can think of for this guy is that he mentioned something about this being a temporary setup. If he throws down a lot of money on a box for one 15", he's going to have to spend more money on another box when he upgrades.

My advice, Iceman, is you decide right now how much bass you want. The setup we've discussed so far on this thread will be great and give you plenty of boom. But, if you are considering upgrading in the near future, just wait and buy the system you really want. It will be cheaper and more effective to do it that way.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 238
I hit 143db on a TL with the same setup ctmike suggested. The SSD gets EXTREMELY loud for the price. Would reccomend it to anyone with your budget.

Post Number: 5
I really appreciate all the help and advice from everybody. I'm gonna order the 15" Fi SSD Dual 2 ohm, the hifonics 1206 amp and I'll probably end up just purchasing a box just so I can get my "temp system" tonight when I get off work. Hopefully they'll be here soon and I can have one of my boys install it. I will let everybody know when it's set up and post pictures. Thanks!

Post Number: 6
I guess now I just need to look for a HU. I don't really need a screen and dvd and all that. Just something that gets the job done. Any ideas or any site online that has good deals?

Silver Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 224
Cardomain.com

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4212
if interested in this hu, kenwood kdc-x591 (nice one), go to abt electronics and click it, copy the page url for the same hu, then do the 105% price match guarrantee at cardomain and you'll get it for i think $170 shipped.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us