Safe to run only 1 set of VC on each sub??

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 362
well im waiting for my mb quart in the mail, and i have a PG octane r 750 rms@ 2ohms... and 2 rockford p3s dvc 4 0hm... is it safe to run only 1 set of each wired @ 2ohms into that amp? is there any harm at all?

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 328
From JL Audio:

"A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils. With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance."

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 851
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 364
lol really? well then this amp must be a beast... the box i built for it ( just threw it togehter in 3 hrs) is 2.3 cuft sealed box... it sounds really well for only running 1 vc off each... but i culd care less ofr 3 db loss cuz its coming unhooked in 2 days... so again, its safe, just "bad performance" correct?

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 853
Sorry if that last one confused anyone..

^^^^^"Safe to run only 1 set of VC on each sub??"
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with JL Audio and matt

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 365
ok so wat r the consequences??? im only gonna be running it for 2 days...

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 854
Damage Subs!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 855
Doing that changes the specs of the sub! that is what JL said basically. The recammended enclosure was given if both VC were used and if only one is than the recammended enclosure size will be different and the wrong size box can damage subs as well...JMO

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 856
= Damage to subs x2

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 857
Even if it was just "bad performance"; Why would you want that? What would be the piont of having subs if thay had bad performance? I would rather have nothing...especially for only two days... JMO.... Why risk damaging something for two days anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4199
exactly^^ if you don't care for the subs and are getting rid of them in 2 days why not sell them instead of fuc_king them up?

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 859
Thanks ctmike

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 368
sinful , dam lol put everythign together and post one thing instead of typign 2 words and submitting =x... the reason i asked this ( i thought it wasnt safe from the start) someone i think reese. something, told someone they could wire only using 1 vc from each sub he said it was safe... i dint think it was, so thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us