Sub enclosure

Bronze Member
Username: Solo67042

Post Number: 84
im wanting to build a custom box for a home theater set up and was wondering where a good site is for box dimensions, tuning etc. also where can i purchase the round ports?? i like Pauls design (who doesnt??) but im gonna come up with something hopefully original. anyways and help would be great. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6010
Most of my parts including ports came from partsexpress.com. I hope you have a decent SQ sub picked out cuz it would be a shame to try and use a Kicker. I'd have to e-smack you. SI and FI are good choices. I have an Eclipse I'm going to try next. Use the recommended enclosure specs that come with the sub. Tuning will generally be a tad lower for HT so don't expect to build a box tuned to 40hz and expect it to impress you on the low end. Mine is at 28hz.
Using the recommended enclosure volume from the manufacturer it's simple math to determine box size. Take into consideration driver/port/ displacement and build away. A good site for # of ports and their sizes is here:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
haha naw, i just ordered an ssd and a eD 130v.2.. i think im gonna use the eD for my HT setup and put the ssd in my car..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
on eD's site, they accually have HT subs pre-made, and one that uses a 130v.2.. its tuned at 20Hz, should i go ahead and go that low?? why did u decide to go for 28Hz paul???

Gold Member

Post Number: 6016
Scott from FI recommended it. I think 20hz is close to the threshold of human hearing. If you tune it that low and set your low pass on your amp that low it would only hit when the notes go that low. Music or HT it wouldn't be that often. It would just remain passive until a note that low is played. 28hz works great for me. How low you wanna go is your call.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
hmm, i didnt even think about 20hz being barely audible to human ears, great point. 28 sounds good then. that site is great!! im going to homedepot here in just a few to look for some supplies. where did u go for that plexiglass?? my enclosure isnt gonna be near as big as your monster:-( eD recommends only a 1.5cuft box for my sub. thats cool tho, my room is very big. id like to show the front of the woofer some how, because the magnet end isnt a pretty on this sub as that of a Q or something. would you have any ideas as to make it look neat..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
for that link u gave me, the only thing i need to mess with is the vent length calculator since i'm gonna use the recommended size for the box from eD, is that right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6017
Where I got mine.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/pp.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr =3&prrfnbr=100409&sesent=0%2C0&search_id=74317

Charlie posted this site earlier.

http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexiglass_Sheets_Clear_s/21.htm

I kinda work from the hip. My last sub was a 15" SI Mag shooting straight into a box. Simple design, worked well. My last one is just a step up. If I were you I wouldn't go hog wild one your first one. Use it to feel your way into a better design. If you love it, you'll never leave it, and will want to upgrade later anyway. I hated tearing down my Mag setup. Call it growing pains.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6018
Yup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
alright, thanks for all your help so far, im sure ill be back for more but now its time for a trip to home depot:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6020
Oh later wouldn't be a good time for me as I'm planning on getting st1tfaced pretty bad. Have a good trip.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
yay, my eD arrived today.. super fast shipping. well i got the wood needed and have the port on its way. would it be ok if i faced the sub upwards? also, where would be the best place to put the port? i want the most boom possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
crap, i just thought about this.. i was planning on using a car amp to power my HT sub for a while untill i got a plate amp, running it off of a ac to dc converter. but where would i ground the amp to? would i need to physically put the ground wire in the ground in the wall? man that would be ghetto. are there any plate amps around that are a bit cheaper than the Daytons? i only need 600rms

Gold Member

Post Number: 6060
Bash makes one rated at 500w. I've used one and liked it. Please don't try the "car amp powering a sub at home routine".

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-752

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
ok, so i have my wood and im ready to start going on it. im just gonna do a 1.5cu ft cube enclosure. will it sound the best if i downfire the sub with the port facing foward? also the port calculator says i need a 1 7/8 inch round port. im a little concerned with it wistling or something. i already ordered it and its flaired as well..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6109
Down firing HT subs are typically for a centralized location, where you have equal dispertion, and you get much more output if the sub is placed near a wall/corner. That is a very small port. Did you double check the calculator with all your other specs? If your box is too small, the port length increases to maintain the "tuned frequency". Try playing with a different box volume to increase your port diameter. 1 7/8" isn't going to work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
yeah i double and triple checked it. i didnt mess with different box volume. eD recommends 1.5 cu ft and thats it i guess. y wouldnt it work tho?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
well nvm. i just looked on the eD site and they happen to sell HT subs with this same woofer in them. it comes in a 3cu ft bos which is more like it. now with the calculator it has a 3.5" port at 8.46 inches. hows that sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6114
Try increasing the volume. Did you compensate for driver displacement? Push it to 2 cu's and see what you get. That port will sound like a flute.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
hmm now im thinking about something else... a little less power but i know i wouldnt have used the 600rms of my eD

how would this be in a HT sub setup? i could get a smaller amp too and save some $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/RESONANT-ENGINEERING-RE-12D4-DUAL-4-OHM-2000W-SUBWOOFER_W0QQ itemZ120113831624QQihZ002QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
http://cgi.ebay.com/Resonant-Engineering-RE-Audio-RE-12-D4-12-DVC-4ohm_W0QQitemZ 220106783992QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a better deal for the same sub

are these subs known for spl or sq? and how would it rate beside the eD 130v.2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
would anyone know how this one is when it comes to sq? i read on another thread here it is very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D312d4-12-D3-CAR-SUB-WOOFER-800W-DVC-NEW_W0QQi temZ170106313785QQihZ007QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 6149
I'd like to try the diamond someday, but TC sounds has more of what I'm looking for. Their 12" DB-500 is about $110. Their site is fantastic when it comes to product info. They spell everything out for you, including box info and wiring help. I know you've seen it, have you considered them?

If not: http://www.tcsounds.com/index.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
yeah i have played around at there site before. i honestly didnt realize they were that affordable though. how was our experience with that bash amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6159
Very good amp. I recently sold it to another member here and he loves it. He's pushing a Dayton sub with it. I admit, at first I thought TC sounds was "out of my league" in price, but no, they're not. Well maybe the LMS-5400 is. Try considering them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I think im gonna order one tonight. i got te 130v.2 hooked up in my car right now and i just love it so much i thinkim gonna leave it alone. im glad i got turned on to the tc sound. 109 shipped seems like a great deal. i am having some trouble understanding the enclosure section tho. i wish it would just say what demensions for the best sound at 28hz:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6160
When you get the sub, post pics and a review of it when you use it. I would love to try a TC sub if it sounds like I hear it does. When you think of the resale value of top end subs, HT or car audio, experiementing really isn't that expensive. Call it a "cheap education".

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
well i acually ordered it already:-) ive fallen hard for this audio stuff recently... ive spent alot of money.. for me at least. on the site under large box (low extension) it listes the recommended size at 5cu ft. is that what i should go for? it has the sub tuned to 22Hz tho so i dunno theres soooo many options it makes everything confusing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
well i acually ordered it already:-) ive fallen hard for this audio stuff recently... ive spent alot of money.. for me at least. on the site under large box (low extension) it listes the recommended size at 4cu ft. is that what i should go for? it has the sub tuned to 22Hz tho so i dunno theres soooo many options it makes everything confusing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
oops i guess i didnt cancel soon enough... the latter post has the correct enclosure size

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
ok, well ive got my db500 on the way, should be here tommorow. i was told by tc sounds to make the box 4cu ft so i did that already, pics to come. im waiting on the precision 4" port to arrive. they also recommended me to tune the box at 22hz and said it would be way better than tuning it to 28hz. i dont know who i should go by. i guess i could tune the port to 22hz in the beginning and if it doesnt sound good than shorten to get the 28hz tune. your right paul, there customer service is amazing. ive got the cutout on the bottom for the downfiring, should i place the port on the top or on the side facing towards where we will be sitting? are the adjustable ports worth anything, i have a 4 inch one and if they worked i could sent that other one back..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6193
Definitaley go with their recommended tuning. I've never had a TC sub so you're set with their #'s. I'd keep the port away from the top, you'll have all kinds of crap accidently falling in. My ports fire frontward, just looks meaner lol. I also have two inquisitive kids and their cousins who love dropping crap into the sub just to see it bounce. Never tried adjustable ports, no advice there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us