Bass knob

Silver Member
Username: Smoke05

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 398
so what is this for? for volume is it a gain or just not worth it? i mean i got it with my zx1000.1 should i bother to install it?

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 30
yeh this is like a little dial that u gotta run from the amp to the front, it gives u control over the gain, its pretty useful man, jus say u got a girl in the car and she don't like soo much bass u don't gotta go thru proper missions to turn it down or listen to it really quietly

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4046
gives you control over the gain?^^ it gives you control over the bass boost on the amp. and no, don't install it. just set the amp up right as normal and leave it. i don't know anyone that uses it, and i can't remember anyone on here saying they use theirs either. if you want to mess with the bass after setting everything up use the head unit for that.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 656
i use a bass knob on my 500/1 and i like it.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2491
I don't use that feature on my amplifier...The sound it creats on the subs is to irregular for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
my bad for getting it wrong ^ people, i though it was for the gain.

well i'll be the first to use it then, i think its useful although for some reason my one stopped working after a while, the light would just come on. in the end i just used it to make sure the amp and everyhting was goin off, as i had an issue with this for a small time

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ok so is there like a case against these devices for creating distotion or just generally managing to degrade the sound quality in some way??

Mike, GW, sinful i think one of you guys need to weigh in on this one

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 693
I would have to agree with ctmike and BernyMAC. I have two amps that came with bass nobs and I don't use mine. I had to hook them up initially for the amps to work but I unpluged them and reset the amps and it sound the same if not better. You can use it if you want but it is more time spent when you can just set the amp correctly to begin with, it is not needed. Also some people who use the nobs will go over board on the bass boost and most likely will damage something. If you go too much it will not sound good. I will not install them in customers vehicles unless thay are die hard for it. If I do install it I will then show them and set it up the best I can to avoid any "come backs" or the chance of them damaging it by turning up bass boost too much. If amp is set correctly you can turn bass boost up a little higher and not damage the amp but you can do this on the amp. If turned up too high it usually is too much for the speakers and causes a speaker problem. Overall I would suggest not using it. Oh yeah and the Bass Boost knob controlls the bass boost and not the gain. The only way to control the gain is with an line output converter which is used generally when you have a stock HU(or one with no RCA preouts) and you want to run an amplifier.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 694
I have't seen GW post in a while, He will be back. He will tell you alot info on amps. Find some of his other posts that he has done. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2652
Here we go again, lol. The bass control knob is in fact a gain attentuator. I have been down this road and was proven wrong on this. It gives you control over the gain but as you turn it up it introduces the single band of frequency, typically 40hz. I agree it isn't really all that usefull but can aid in bass deficient songs or if you really want to suck some current. On my Kicker sx series amps I can configure what frequecies I want to boost, from 20hz to I think it is 100hz, maybe more. I can also control the bandwidth, which controls how much of or all the surrounding frequecies to boost as well. Now for me it is very usefull because it controls a whole series of frequecies but for any other amps that are not as configurable it probably make it a bit to peaky. In moderations it is ok say 3-6db's but no more. Polo..

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 719
Not exactly true... It depends on what amp it is apparently. On most it controlls "Bass EQ" or "Bass Boost". A way to tell is to read the knob and see what it says(mine says 0db-18db) and then look on the amp to see what corrisponds(my amp has the "Bass EQ" and it reads 0db-18db). On my amp, and all the others I have installed have been this way. Maybe you have a gain setting but the "gain"/"level" only controls when your amp will reach max output corresponding to your HU volume. So if it did if fact control the gain it would not be good. The "gain"/"level" should match your output on the HU and never be moved again. Why would you want a knob to control the gain? Don't make sense but I guess, its your amp.

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 399
well i will install it and if i dont like it i can uninstall it. thanks for the input

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2655
Well like I said I have been down this road and was a non-believer. I had Kicker explain it to me. Ok say that you have a kicker amp and you use the bass knob this is how it works.. When you set the main amplifier gain say at 6db that is set now if you plug in the cat 5 cable with the bass knob it switches the 40hz signal and allows the attentuation of the main gain that was set at 6db. When you set the knob all the way to the right it is in fact at +6db of gain with a 40hz signal boost which usually has a drop off rate of anywhere from 6-12db/octave above and below the target frequency, this gives the slope or it would be really peaky. Now get this, if you turn the knob to the left this is all with a 18db knob and it reaches 1/4 turn from full on it will in fact be at 0db gain with a 40hz signal. This will continue to drop to you have reached full left which would be a total of -12db. This is all dependant on how much signal you introduce and that is controlled by the 0-18db bass boost control pot. So when you are turning your knob you are actually turning the gain but with the introduced signal. It cannot go higher than the main gain setting but how much BB you add will determine how much distortion you will end up with. This is why they tell you to adjust your gains without the knob...Polo.. :-O

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 729
Like I said, why would you want to change the gain once its set. It just don't make sense. You keep talking about gain and db. The gain setting has volts written under it on the amp and not db. The bass boost or bass eq says db under it. Maybee on Kicker amps but not on mine or any of the others I have installed. Mine controlls the Bas EQ. I think you have something mixed up because the gain only controlls "when" your amp puts out its max in relation to your head unit volume. Do more research. The gain should be set to match the output of the HU and thats that. There should be no changing it because it could introduce clipping and cause problems besides not getting full power and efficiency, so why would someone want to change the gain after it has been set correctly. I know you have talked to Kicker but I am positive that that only pretains to that amp or you have something mixed up. Not doubting you read or heard that but I assure you that there is no gain from adjusting your "gain/level" setting once it is set correctly. Like I said before, the gain only determines when your am reaches its max potential on relation to the volume on the HU. So if you have the gain set correctly than you can turn up the HU until just before distortion and amp will be at full potential. Now if the gain is changed to make it "seem" louder actually just make the amp peak earllier which is at a quieter/lower volume on your head unit. I just don't agree thats all, like I said, that might be true for your amp but not with mine.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2656
Dude, I said the sameee thing and have received the sameee answer I am giving you. Drop Kicker a line and they can explain it to you personally. There was only one time I apologized on this or any other forum and it was under this subject. BTW if you sit back and think about it, makes sense and in fact by turning the bass knob you are not changing the max setting of the main gain just attentuating it. Also I can use my bass knob on several other brands soooo thinking it is working the same way. BTW reread my post your not getting it... Polo..

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 741
Ok "DUDE", now we can call it a "Gain knob". You can believe whatever you want "DUDE", I have talked to professionals as well and none have suggested your theory.

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinonabudget

Post Number: 14
Hey sin, why such the sh!tty attitude?

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 742
^^^"makes sense and in fact by turning the bass knob you are not changing the max setting of the main gain just attentuating it"

Changing and attenuating are the same thing...Attenuating(spelled correctly) means to reduce/weaken.. which involves a change.. Just so you know.

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 402
Ok thread is over.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 743
What are you talking about BallinOnABudget? I have shown no attitude. I simply said "dude" because he called me dude and said he can beieve whatever he wants because it don't matter to me. It is a free country and he can say and believe whatever he wants. If it seem I have an attitude, I appologize. I appologize to Polo and Ballin.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 744
Thanks why. I don't want to argue or offend anyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinonabudget

Post Number: 15
I apologize(spelled correctly) too.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 745
LL....hahaha... I noticed that too right after I clicked post. I don't watch the screen when I am typing. Didn't catch it in time... Thats what you were referring to? I just was making sure I guessed the right word that he meant to use. Just wanted to make it more clear to me. Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant "apologize"..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2657
Ok, sorry for the dude... I will just relate to Kicker amplifiers because I know this to be a fact and because they build dependable, quality amps I would assume most other use close to or the same technology. Kickers bass knob controls the gain, literally. The adjust ment for bass boost, 0-18db just controls the amount of bass introduced into the 40hz frequency range, and like I said the slope above and below is around 12db/octave to keep it from being peaky. Now the techs there call it an attentuator because it never really raises the level from the main gain control but it does reduce it dependant on the position of the bass knob in use, either boosting or cutting. If your main gain is set for an example at 6db and the bass knob is all the way to the right, it will be at that gain setting but if it is allt he way to the left I think they said it cuts the gain by 26db. Now how much actual bass is boosted is control by the bass boost control pot on the amp itself. Maybe Kicker is the only company who does this but I doubt it. Polo.. :-)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/267514.html

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 763
I still can't figure out where you get "gain" that can be set at 6db. The gain is voltage... Db is Bass eq or bass boost. That is what I was saying. Honestly, I don't care anymore and we have helped the original poster as much as we could....

Bronze Member
Username: Jmh2004

P. A., Texas

Post Number: 97
why, i would try the bass knob out many of our customers are satisfied with the bass knob, im sorry to reopen the thread, but at work we are told to install bass knobs on all amps that customers buy from us ( i think this is ridiculous, no need IMO), some amps though, do not come with bass knobs, or a bass boost option on the amp itself so the owner of the shop has us put in after market bass knobs that hook up to the rca's going to the amp, so if they are hooked up to the rca's this would affect the input level, right???? and these change the sound just the same way as bass knobs that come with some amps... just throwing that in there to circulate in your brains, it is in mine... just my 2 pesos

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2659
"I still can't figure out where you get "gain" that can be set at 6db. The gain is voltage... Db is Bass eq or bass boost. That is what I was saying."

The bass knob is a remote gain adjustment, get it? It does not control the amount of bass boost BUT it does control the level of gain not the bass boost. Now the amount of bass that is introduced as you bring the gain up is controlled by the bass level adjustment on the amp not the bass knob. If you set the bass boost level adjustment on the amp to flat or 0 you could still turn the remote bass knob up and down to control the gain but you would not be able to go higher than the maximum setting that is set on the main gain setting. I can't explain it any simpler than that, sorry. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
have to agree with Polo's simple explanation ^^ i tried it on my amp and it works like that, the amp could be on 0 but the remote can still bring the volume up and its not just a blurry bass line either cos u wud be able to tell when you put the sound up. it might just be the amps come with different remotes to control one or the other

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2105
"The bass knob is a remote gain adjustment, get it? It does not control the amount of bass boost BUT it does control the level of gain not the bass boost. Now the amount of bass that is introduced as you bring the gain up is controlled by the bass level adjustment on the amp not the bass knob. If you set the bass boost level adjustment on the amp to flat or 0 you could still turn the remote bass knob up and down to control the gain but you would not be able to go higher than the maximum setting that is set on the main gain setting. I can't explain it any simpler than that, sorry. Polo.."

Imagine you have 2 valves on a water hose.The first valve(Gain dial on amp) controls the over-all maximum flow and the second valve in the line (Bass Knob,Gain Knob) controls the flow as well,now if your 2nd knob or valve is slightly closed it will have a little less flow through the main output.Hopefully this clears up what Polo was trying to say.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
actually yeh it does, my understanding was completely wrong, i was thinking more along the lines of the way a tv remote controls channel changing or volume directly

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 767
But if this is true, than why would you want to have an adjust in the car with you(for the gain) when the gain should be set to HU output and not moved from there. Thats what I was saying. On kicker, yes, its probably a gain(in some way) but my amp is not. I have agreed with you with Kicker before, but my amps bass knob does not control gain(in any way).

And Rob, your metaphor makes it more clear that, if what polo said is true, there is no reason or advantages from using the "gain knob"! JMO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok u know what, what do you mean by "set it to the HU output" just curious to know cos i dont think i do this, i just got mines at what i wud say is 11 o'clock.

the only reason i like having the gain in the front is cos when my girl is in the car she don't like the bass at all and i mean even if the bass is on 0 from the HU its still not enough she wants the sub to be off for some reason (she wants to talk or sutn) so i just turn the dial to 0 and it cuts it out.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2131
Well Sinful,the only advantage I can think of is dialing out the gain.The full or max position on the remote knob would be where your gain should be set at the proper level of voltage but it never hurts to have your gain set lower than what it's rated at.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2662
Simple test sinful, turn your BB level on your amp to zero (all the way to left) now turn your HU up half way. Turn your bass knob to the right, if it gets louder then it is a remote gain, plain and simple. It does not touch the max setting that you set the gain at, it just lowers (attentuates) the gain and allows for bass to be added. This is done to give you control over the gain because naturally if you add bass to any signal it will require more power to hold the waveform. By reducing the gain will allow for more bass but will allow you to tailor the current draw and help control clipping. I didn't design the amps, Oh BTW my PG X1200.1 is the same way, any others out there? Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 282
"But if this is true, than why would you want to have an adjust in the car with you(for the gain) when the gain should be set to HU output and not moved from there."

Because some of us don't like riding around with 150db on music all the time(it starts to hurt your ears after a while).

On my hk4000d, I have a "remote gain" knob. You set the gain on the amp and the bass boost on the amp. Then you use the "remote gain" knob to change the gain remotely from the lowest gain level all the way up to where you have set it on the amp. You cannot exceed the the setting you have on the amp, just match it.

It is very convenient because it allows you to adjust the ratio of bass to music whenever you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us