The bass knob

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 135
on the kicker KX12001.1, what does it do. Is it like the gain? Can you have the gain lower then the bass on the bass knob? I really dont know what its for and should i even install it.

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 137
sorry about double post

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 566
its like a single band equalizer, with center frequency at 40 Hz and 0-18db gain. its usually not good to eq more than 6db (this is how much i use mine for. i have a kicker zx1000.1 and i never go past 6). if you go past 6db (1/3 of the way up on the nob) you usually start clip the signal and would have to adjust the gains accordingly. plus that much eq makes it sound sloppy. I actually only use about 3db (or one notch on the nob) for everyday listening

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 140
so should i not install it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 569
its up to you. try it without and with. if your getting the results you want without it, your fine.

if you use it, make sure the bass boost on the amp itself is at 0.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2230
i never use the remote bass boost... that sh1t likes to blow subs hehe...

my 2 cents

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 141
if i can get away with not installing it, thats what im gonna do. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
yeah, it can blow subs if used improperly, since like i said, you can clip the amp if you turn it up too much and not compensate the gain on the amp. thats how you blew your subs. user error, as always

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 142
i didnt blow my subs

Silver Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 229
when you set the gain can you have the remote bass knob turned all the way up so when the knob is all the way up the gain would be set correctly?

Silver Member

Post Number: 574
i wasn't referring to you chris cavs

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
and if you do that hondarider, your gunna be EQing way too much and you'll have more of a peaky response, opposed to a more flat response that most desire for. this means frequencies further away from the bass boost's center frequency (usually between 40 and 55 Hz) will have much less presence

Silver Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 230
Ya i never thought of that. But are kickers bass knobs bass boosts or remote gain control?

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
bass boosts

Silver Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 231
The people at caraudio.com seem to think its a gain control.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182387

I know on some of the cheaper amps (hifonics, audibahn, directed) it does control the bass boost but im not sure about kicker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
interesting... maybe i'm wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
i've been reading all my manuals and kicker's online manuals... and they don't come out and say it, but they are leading me to believe it may indeed be gain.

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
yup, the kicker remote is definitely gain. i apologize for my ignorance in the beginning of this thread. and im also happy to find this out, as i am a kicker amp owner.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1499
It isn't a gain nob, it controls bass boost! Unplug it from the amp and adjust your gains before hand then plug it in and use it to boost frequencies for low playing or just low bass type music. I use mine to boost/cut bass, some music does nto sound good and sometimes you just don't want a head ache, lol. If you o not have an upgraded elec system I would not go past 6dbs as mentioned above but I have been able to get away with as much as 9-12dbs (song dependant) while creeping the knob. Install it it helps a lot especially if you like full control. Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
i thought the same, but its not the case. KICKER's bass knob is NOT bass boost. Try turnning the knob all the way down and unplugging it while playing music at a medium level... it will instantly get louder. why? becuase now you have full gain of where you originally set it at on the amp. when you plug the remote in, it makes it quiter until you turn the knob up. try explaining that if it was a bass boost...

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
if it was bass boost, it would mean that the amp "automatically" applies bass boost when the remote is not plugged in, otherwise, theres no reason why my sub is playing so damn loud when i unplug the remote.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1503
I have several kicker amps and trust me it is not gain control. When you set the BB limit on the amp say 9db, turning the bass knob to the middle is zero BB, turning it all the way to the right is 9db and all the way to the left will be -9db. It not only boosts that particular frequencies it also cuts them, hence the -9dbs all the way to the left. The amount it cuts or boosts is dependant on what you set the BB db range, 0-18dbs. If you unplug the knob it goes to the max of your switch setting so say +9dbs. If you want to remove your bass knob then unplug it and go to the amp then turn the bass boost to zero. Adjust the gain with the BB then add some if you like but watch your battery voltage! Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2296
can't argue with polo... hehe lol

Silver Member

Youngstown, Ohio United states

Post Number: 597
first, i'll argue with anyone.

second, polo is wrong. to prove, go to your kicker amp, make sure the gain is properly set without the remote attached and with the bass boost all the way down on the amp itself. now plug the remote back in and turn it ALL the way UP, still leaving the bass boost on the amp ALL the way DOWN. turn the hu on and play a song at a medium level. now unplug the remote... what happens. nothing. because now it is at the gain level set on the amp. if it was any kind of bass boost it would have decreased in volume upon unplugging.

if you read the manual, the only place bass boost is ever mentioned is on the amp itself, and is labeled as 0-18db boost @ 40Hz.

now the remote isn't a gain in the sense of the gain on the amp. it only operates up to the setting on the amp. this is why its labeled a meaningless 0-11, and why they offer no apprehension of turning it all the way up, since they already told you to properly set the gain on the amp.

-rob

Silver Member

Post Number: 598
so basically it becomes what they say it is in their manual, a level control (or volume) for the output level of your sub amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
and why do you think kicker avoids mentioning "bass boost" when describing the remote in any way?

Silver Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 232
Well i just emailed kicker asking about the bass remote i'll post the answer when i recieve the email.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1512
Dude if you turned the BB all the way down on the amp and turned the knob all the way up the knob would still be inactive because you shut it off on the amp!! Duhhhh.... It would have no effect with it at zero (flat), lol. Now on my amps (sx series) it goes below the zero you have to actually cut the frequency which is programmable and you can also control the bandwidth, meaning you can control the slope rate of the bass frequency, quite nice...

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
lol your still not right. if you turn the bass boost up on the amp, then your turning the bass boost up. period. the analog remote still controls the level of the whole bandwith going to the sub.

we're talking about two different remotes. your's electronically controls the bass boost, correct. this analog one does not. why are you even commenting on this if you don't have a kx or zx amp. we'll wait and see what the email response has to say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 601
"bass boost" in general, to me, is undesireable. so i would have no use for variable Q or variable center frequency for it from an electronic remote.

Silver Member

Post Number: 603
digital, not electronic. sorry.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1513
It still has its uses, it helps when you have songs that are naturally low in bass. When used wisely it can help a bit. Not to get off track here but the fact we were arguing about is wether or not it was a gain control, for fact it is not. If it was then all frequencies would be boosted and not just an area around 40hz nor would they have advertised the boost frequency. Polo.. :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
exactly, the analog remote has no center frequency, it covers the whole bandwith going to the sub.

"bass boost" implies equalization with a center frequency. if the ananlog remote was for bass boost, it would cut with a center freq. at 40 when the bass boost on the amp was all the way down. this is not so, as even 90Hz is equally cut when the remote is all the way down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
the kx/zx amps offer a bass boost with 0 to +18db of gain at 40Hz, period. this is controled from the amp. the analog remote controls the entire level of the amp and is used to lower it from the seat.

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
it is more like a volume control for the amp if the gain is set properly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
"can't argue with polo... hehe lol"

really?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1519
You keep saying analog remote for the Kx. The Kx is an 04 model and if I am not mistaken the only accessory they offer for it is the bass boost knob that they supply along with mounting screws and a 150A ANL fuse/holder. Now my sx, you can purchase (I have it) a remote called the SXRC which controls every aspect of the amp and I do mean EVERY aspect of the amp I think it is up to 16 amps but it will not work on the KX. I have been through the KX's manual all up and down and also Kickers site, they do not offer anything for the KX. Now they ZX is different and I do not know much about it, in my eyes the sx is the best so I have stopped there and until they come out with a better digital, I will stay right here, lol. Polo. :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 608
the kx and zx both have the exact same remote. since you are not currently using either, its a good place for you to stop right there. your remote is different, we have aknowledged this. the arguement was if the bass knob that comes with the kx/zx amp was for bass boost, or gain. i will end with saying the kicker kx/zx bass knob is NOT for bass boost. i'm sorry if you can't admit or aknowledge that.

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 165
someone just ask kicker.....actually ill do it!!! you guys are stupid1! WHY SIT HERE AND ARGUE??? why not just go to the people who really know. ill contact them and let you know

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
read above greb^ we are waiting on an email from kicker. and i enjoy debating/argueing with people, its how knowledge is reached. even if i turn out to be wrong in the end (which in this case is not so), it would be worth the arguement to make me reallize my fault.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
lol okay, forget waiting for an email, i just got off the phone with a very polite kicker tech representative. he imformed me the remote is indeed a gain control and has nothing to do with the bass boost feature on the amp. when plugged in, it decreases level by 26db at 0 on the knob, and will be at the gain setting on the amp when turned all the way up. arguement ended.
rob

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1525
LOL RIGHTTTTTTT... Oh by the way all kickers use the same bass knob! If this indeed was true there wouldn't be a set boost frequency. The reason why you get other frequencies that are boosted is due to slope rate. At 6db/Octave many neigboring frequencies will be effected. Your amp cannot controll this as mine can just by adjusting the bandwidth. There is a reason why they tell you to adjust the gains first then add bass boost they are independant from one another.If this was a remote gain it would raise all frequencies set by your high pass filter not just a predetermined set of frequenies. This is not an arguement but a debate and honestly if the kicker rep said that it contradicts everything that kicker has written in there manuals about it. Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
it doesn't contradict anything kicker has written in their manual. the manual never states "bass boost" and the "remote" in the same sentence.

when they say anything about "bass boost" in their manuals, it is always on the amp itself (for the kx or zx). yes, they give a center frequency @ 40Hz and range from 0 to +18db gain for this. and yes, they tell you to go back and adjust the gains if you turn this up at all. but this has nothing to do with the remote on the kx and zx kicker amps.

please call and talk to a kicker rep if you still don't believe me and need any further details. i got right through with no waiting or busy signal whatsoever. very courteous people too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 615
and please stop bringing your sx amps into this. its remote has NOTHING to do with the one we're talking about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
hello, i was just wanting to know if the bass knob, which came with my kx1200 is a gain adjuster or is a bass boost adjuster. thanks much

Hi!

It is a remote gain control. You will want to set up everything without it plugged in. When you plug it in, it attenuates

the signal 26 dB down from the point that the gain is set at (when the knob is turned to 0). When it is turned all of

the way up you are at the point that your gain is set at.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to contact us. Thank you for your interest in Kicker!

Keep Livin' Loud!!!

Kris Bellinghausen
Technical Support Rep
(405)624-6023 x245
kbellinghausen@kicker.com

Silver Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 233
Ya you cant really argue anymore once someone asks kicker. I'm happy to here it does control all frequencies i havent got a reply yet either.

Bronze Member
Username: Noviceinstaller

Here, There

Post Number: 24
wow

Silver Member

Post Number: 616
thank you. when i called, the guy actually asked me if i was the one who wrote that email. nice guy too.

Bronze Member
Username: Noviceinstaller

Here, There

Post Number: 26
im still not sure exactly what just happened after rereading this thread many times but i rarely see people argue w/polo & dont think ive ever seen him wrong b4!!

Silver Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 234
lol theres a first for everything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
nice call two4fifteen. good thing i asked that question too, cause i really do have that amp and i didnt know how to hook up that GAIN control , atleast i wasnt going to do it the way the guy who responded to my email said to

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1529
Still doesn't make any sense.... It boosts a certain level of frequencies not all. I have even checked just to make sure by shutting out said frequencies and adjusting the knob. There has to be bass introduced in order to get a rise at the 40hz set frequency. By turning the gain up does not introduce more bass, plain and simple, there has to be more to it or they wouldn't have two different adjustments. In the kx manual it states to adjust the gain then plug the bass knob in and to listen to the music then readjust the gain to eliminate clipping. In a sense it can be considered a "gain control" but it does not control the main input gain, not even on the same circuit. I will admit when I am wrong it has happen before but when you start to repair your own amplifiers you too will know the ins and outs.. Polo. :-)

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 176
With all that said, I have one question. What should i set my gain to on the KX and then when i attach the remote what should i turn that to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 618
you set the gain to match the pre-out voltage on the hu. you do this without the remote attached. setting the gain can be done several ways, here's a helpful website for each method if you don't already know. http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

once the gain is set, you may choose to plug in the remote. this will only go up to the gain setting set on the amp when turned all the way up, and it will attentuate (decrease) the whole signal by 26db when turned all the way down.

so set your gain like you would for any other amp, and if you would like to be able to turn it down from your front seat, go ahead and hook up the remote bass knob.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1550
The bass boost pot on the amp will control how much of the said frequency (40hz) will be introduced into the signal when you return the remote knob to its original position. Technically speaking we are both right, I was right to say it didn't actually turn the gain up from original setting and you were right when you said it controlled the gain (partially) but it also introduces the EQ frequency into the input signal but that is controlled on the amp itself... I admit I am partially wrong but now we all reall understand how they work, GREAT DEBATE! Polo.. :-O

PS- Talking to Trevis at kicker sucks, he don't want to tell you anything I actually had to pull the info out of him, lol. He talks like everyone who calls is an idiot, lmfao..

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
you can't really blame him though. the majority of people he talks to probably are idiots...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2316
polo!! hehehe

Username: Dht

Guadalajara, Jalisco Mexico

Post Number: 9
Its simple... it is a bass control that moves the db on a frecuency (40hz). is ok to use it but it is always better to use it to lower the sound than to rise it... If you rise it to mucho it will clip, use it only to lower the sound of subs

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1553
I use it to equalize lower bassed songs. I like a lot of techno and oldschool (80's) sh!t that reall don't have a lot of bass to begin with. When put in the right hands it can be a deadly weapon, lol. Polo.. :-O

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2317
may the force be with you! lol

Bronze Member
Username: Dht

Guadalajara, Jalisco Mexico

Post Number: 13
that great but not abuse on the level or you will see smoke coming out of your subs.. clipping is posion for you speakers

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 179
damn thats not good because my hands are pretty much deadly weapons... And i dont want to mix two deadly weapons so i probally wont install it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us