Does Brand make a mojor difference given that both have same power output and specs..

Bronze Member
Username: Baba

UnaIndia

Post Number: 19
Hello
me again..

***1***

an amp rated at 75 w x 4 at 4 Ohms.. say a Hifonics....
and a JL audio or Audison at 75 W x 4 at 4 ohms..

Does it really make that much of a differnce, in t he price , the quality...

***2***

Also say if the hifonics has an amp rated at 125w x 4 at 4 ohms... and a JL audio is 75w x 4 at 4 ohms.. which would you prefer...

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1422
YES quality is the name of the game.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11922
build and component quality will affect longevity.
go by CEA ratings for power and you'll know what they really put out so you won't need to fear over or under-rating of output.

cheap brands tend to over-rate power by using peak power ratings.
better companies often tend to state specs that are a bit below what their amps really put out, so it may say its a 1200 watt amp but the birth sheet will actually read something like 1430 watts.

features and build quality are the two main things you buy with a good name though

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 671
I agree with GlassWolf( The most suggested "Best Ecoustics Member") He is very knowledgeable and can help everyone with anything!

I fell he left one category out though and I would like to add a little as well:

Cheap brands (like Volfenhag) rate their amps at higher voltages(like 16-18 volts) or use their peak power output ratings to increase the stated output.

Budget (like hifonics) rate their amps at a the standard voltage (14.5) and slightly overrate their amps

Better (like Kicker/Rockford) slightly overrate their amps at standard voltage (14.5)

Best (like Crossfire VR series) overrate their amps by testing them at 12.5 volts and letting the extra 2 volts (to get to standard 14.5) create 352 more watts rms at 1 ohm. This is why their VR1000D is rated at 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm and at 12.5 volts. The birth sheet says it is 1352 at 1 ohm at 14.5 volts.

JMO!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11940
good point.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 679
Thanks, you too!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »