The Truth About Sony!!!

Bronze Member
Username: King33

Post Number: 40
Alright guys. I know that sony xplod and other sony amps are on the cheaper end of the scale(considered crap by most) and that sony over rates their stuff, but honestly. if i buy a sony amp and put it on my MTX woofer, is it gonna sound bad? I mean, i could just buy an amp that is rated for more than what i need and it would be alright, right? the guy that owned my sub and box before me had a 1000 watt sony on it and it sounded pretty good.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11917
a watt is a watt. it's not that it'll "sound bad" unless due to the lack of actual power, you turn the gains up too far to compensate, and overdrive the amp, causing it to clip the signal.
The problem with Sony is that they are literally crap. Their build quality and MTBF is pathetic.
The amps often dislike working with a 2 ohm load even when rated to functiion at that impedance, and they tend to crap themselves and fall over dead for no good reason, in under a year.
Not unlike Kenwood amplifiers in both regards.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
alright then. well im a little over budget on my system and i need a fairly inexpenxive(im not above used or referbished)amp to power my sub. what is a good brand?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thanx. ill be sticken with the top brands.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1622
Give us the sub model and VC config and we can recommend an amp.....

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Seminole, Al United states

Post Number: 593
my sony 1000watt caught on fire pushing 2 rf 6x9's,

and yes they are veeeeeeeeeery overated, i bridged that 1000 watt sony and it could barley budge my l5 12, so a guess is 200rms and 400 peak

iff that

Username: Phatmatt56

Franklin, TN United States

Post Number: 8
You cant go wrong with a rockford fosgate, i got an old school one right now, the 300s model, i beat the crap out of it and it still performs, have had it for 4 years or so pushing a P212s4, also 4 years old and the system thumps, but im upgrading cuz i need a little deeper rumble

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1258
"my sony 1000watt caught on fire pushing 2 rf 6x9's,

and yes they are veeeeeeeeeery overated, i bridged that 1000 watt sony and it could barley budge my l5 12, so a guess is 200rms and 400 peak"

Fire huh? Bummer.

What Sony amp is rated at 1000w? I bet if you knew enough to look past the "1000 Watt Max Power" label on the box you probably would have found an accurate rms rating.

I've never Seen a Sony benchtested at less than stated poer, and the newer ones are all CEA '06 certified.

As far as MTBF - based on my limited experience with Sony - I really can't argue with GW.

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Seminole, Al United states

Post Number: 596
not sure the model but yes it SAYS 1000 watt peak and 400 rms but like i said it TRULY pushes around 200rms and 400peak, i have my own and it is sh!!!!!!!!!!!!t

i would not dash water on it if u caught on fire again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
sorry havent checked lately. ill look at my sub and get the info and post later tonight or tomarow. "You cant go wrong with a rockford fosgate, i got an old school one right now"

yea, i got an old school rockford punch aIV 4 channel for my speakers and im really excited. everyone i talk to says i will be very happy with it.}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
sorry guys. dont have my drill bits at my house, so i cant take my sub out of the box to look at it.(its those wierd square headed screws) ill make anouther thread when i get it out.

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 71
sony's stuff honestly sucks. i had an 800 watt sony xplod amp and then went to a JL 500/1 and its:
a)louder
b)better sq
c)way better sq control

if you want a good stereo dont cheap out amp buy a sony cause honestly id bet my JL amp is louder than sony's 1200 xplod amp (although they do look neat)

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 72
so if your on a buget just wait another month or two and save up another 400 bucks to buy a decent amp (im canadian so it might cost less in US? :P)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm broke lol. im just a teen. i do get pretty good deals on used stuff from my friend though. (thats how i got the sub)ill just wait untill i find a good deal on a better quality amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us