Channels not working correctly, possible wiring issue?

Username: Fgreg

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased 4 pioneer speakers, a 4 channel kenwood amp, a 2 channel profile amp, 2 MTX subwoofers, and a capacitor. I ran all the wires and mounted my reciever. the wiring harness is connected correctly. the profile and subwoofers are not even hooked up yet. My problem is that the signal for all four of my speakers is only active if i plug an rca cable coming from the reciever into the front left input on the 4 channel amp. if i plug in any of the other rca's into any of the other inputs on the amp no speakers work. anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

You will probably ask so this is how i have it wired right now. the speaker level wires coming from the reciever are capped and the other wires from the reciever (power, ground, etc...) are connected to the corresponding wire from the wire harness. there are only two RCA outputs on the back of the reciever so i have two splitters plugged into each rca output. then i have two red/white pair RCA cables, one pair running to the amp from one splitter, the other running to the amp from the other splitter. From the amp i have each speaker level wire running to the back of the reciever where they are tied to the corresponding wire from the wire harness. all power, ground, and remote wires are connected correctly. the amp works but only through the one rca input.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 817
I am actually no expert on using high level inputs, but RCAs are low level pre-amp inputs and speakers inputs are high level...not sure you're supposed to be using both at the same time, i know i'm not using my high level ones.
Anyone got input on this?

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 217
u not suppose to be using both at the same time use only just rca

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 820
i knew i was on to something!

Post Number: 2
if i only use rca cables though how do i get the signal to each individual speaker? right now rca cables run from reciever to amp and the amp has individual speaker outputs that connect to each of the four speakers. I had this set up once before in my last vehicle so i know it is possible but i did not do the installation last time so im not sure exactly how it is done

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 828
I don't know about that being possible or anything, but if you have RCAs running, disconnect the speaker level inputs! The RCAs give the signal to the entire amp, which then gives power to each speaker.

Post Number: 4
Im still not sure that im following you. The only inputs connected to the amp are the rca cables. the only speaker level wires i have attached are the ones from the output of the amp to each speaker. i cant disconnect those because they give the power to the speakers i think.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 836
ok, those are not really called "speaker level wires." If that happens, you may have a bad splitter or bad RCA cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us