Wiring help

Username: Justin_15_07

Manitou Beach, Michigan United States

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a lt1920 watt amp to 2 dual 2 ohm subs and bridged them. Now my amp is stereo stable at 2 ohms and mono stable at 4. Now i have it bridged and i BELIEVE but have no real idea that im getting 2 ohms to my mono. If someone could help me out and tell me if i am, and if i am should it be ok, and how should i wired them to get the 4 ohms if it will cause damage to this expensive amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1405
You cannot wire two dual 2 ohm speakers to 2 ohms.

And if your amp is mono stable at 4 ohms, do not run it at 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 214
^^^"You cannot wire two dual 2 ohm speakers to 2 ohms"
false....two dual 2 subs can be wired to 8ohm, 2ohm, and .5ohm.

Justin, the only *safe* load to run with that speaker and amp combo is 8ohm......2ohm and certainly .5ohm are to low.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 810
yeah, m.s. was probably thinking dual 4ohm - no biggie. Justin, if you end up having to wire them to an 8ohm load, that means you'll need a different amp that's at least 2ohm stable. You won't be getting very much current at 8ohms.

Post Number: 3
alright thanks, u guys know any good sites for ordering a new 2 ohm stable bridged amp?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 813
What subs do you have and what's their rms power rating?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1253
That amp's rated at 880w bridged into 4 ohms, 740x1 into 8. Barely enough to bother messing with.

Post Number: 4
i have 2 900 watt rms 1800 max aw1005n, and one aw1005q audiobahn both 10 inch dual 2 ohm coils. please help me out with a good cheap amp that will pound!

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 815
Funny, I had the same setup...audiobahn subs and PA amp lol

My PA amp put out the exact same power, except my subs were dual 4ohm. That amp is hardly enough for 1 sub really. You'll need an amp that can do about 1800W rms at 2ohms, which won't be cheap. Are you saying you have 3 subs total 2 of which are the same and 1 is different? Or do you just have 2 subs that are the same model but different year?

Post Number: 5
I have 2 audiobahn subs, they actually have the same specs, just different years, i would like to find a affordable amp that pushes about 800-900 rms at 2 ohms, and i could try selling my amp on ebay or seomthing and hopefully get close to 100 for it. Or would it be a better idea to get 2 new subs and bridge that amp to them. its weak at 8ohms and i cant stand having that little bass. thasnk for helping

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 823
Subs are power hungry and since you already have them, keep them for now and your best bet is to definitely sell the PA and get kicker zx1500.1. It should suite thos subs well. If you decide to upgrade subs later, you'll already have a quality amp. The amp isn't cheap though, $440 shipped.

Post Number: 6
Holy Sh*t, well what do u think of this amp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17788 half of htat price! thanks for helping me, im still learning

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 825
You're going the same route as before. That kenwood is probably not only less powerful, but probably is even worse than the PA. Unfortunately, if you're upgrading from what you have now, that kicker is one of your cheapest options.

Post Number: 7
I'm not sure if i follow, help me out, my subs are only 900 rms, 1800 max, which is this amps specs at 2 ohms, which is what i would be running at, mono channeled. That amp u are suggesting would blow my subs in a heart beat. Or since im running 2 subs, am i only receiving 450 rms per sub if im running 900 rms mono amp?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 829
At 8ohms, that PA amp is probably giving you less than 700W total, which is less than 350W per sub. That isn't going to cut it. The zx1500.1 would give each of your subs at least 800W RMS - your subs can handle 900W rms each. Not sure how you deduced the amp will blow the subs. Hope this makes sense.

Post Number: 8
I'm not sure if i follow, help me out, my subs are only 900 rms, 1800 max, which is this amps specs at 2 ohms, which is what i would be running at, mono channeled. That amp u are suggesting would blow my subs in a heart beat. Or since im running 2 subs, am i only receiving 450 rms per sub if im running 900x1 rms mono amp?

Post Number: 9
oh if its 900 rms by 1, each sub will only get 450 rms?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 831
right, but where are you getting these specs? 900w rms by 1...where's that from?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
that would be that link from that amp i thought was a good deal. See it is says its 900 rms at 2 ohms, i didnt relise for 2 subs, each subs only receives 450 watt rms

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1447
" You cannot wire two dual 2 ohm speakers to 2 ohms "

Now why the fudge did I write that, lol

" two dual 2 subs can be wired to 8ohm, 2ohm, and .5ohm "

^^^^ Right

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 833
Only good deal on kenwood amps is $20 or less. If you were to go with those, you'll need 2 of them, which will run you the same price as the kicker, while being less quality. If you can't afford that amp now, take some time and save money for that amp or better. For now, wire just 1 of your subs to 4 ohms and run it from your PA amp. That should be ok for now. If you can affor the kicker now, great - go with it, you'll have it for a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i think i found the best option. my buddy is selling the same PA i have. and if you bridge each sub individually you get 4 ohms. so i oculd bridge each amp to each sub and be 4 ohm mono stable on each. he is sellin his lt1920 for $100. does this sound good. 880 RMS to each sub? and if did this, woudl i wire 2 capacitors after the distribution block. or one 5.0 farad before the distribution?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1254
sounds like a decent option.

but if you don't have the money to spend on a good sub amp - don't mess with capacitors.
They're not worth your investment.
Put that money aside and you're on your way to an amp upgrade - especially considering you could sell your 2 PA's at some point

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Really, ive had some buddys with big systems with caps..no problems, i installed a 1.2 farad on my single PA and had no dimming until i pulled up to a stop light.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 844
Listen to opti. I don't think you want to get any more invested in PA than you already are. How far away are you from being able to afford a $400 amp? Investing in quality equipment now saves you in the long run. I had PA, even though it's not terrible quality, it's not powerful at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Im a ways away from having 400. But heres what i think would be a good option, help me out here though if u see a flaw. My buddy is selling the same PA for 100, i would then within a month be able to purchase an 2 gauge 4000 wiring kit, and a 4.0 farad cap all for 150. totaling 250. Both these amps can bridge each sub individually at 4 ohms giving me 880 RMS per sub only 20 from my subs max.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 849
Sounds ok in theory, but you're looking at more like 700W out of each amp, which is less than 1 of those kicker amps. Cap won't really do anything for you at this point. You can try 2 PAs, but avoid the cap and you may not need to upgrade the wiring either. From experience, tough it out for now and SAVE for the kicker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Well see im only running 4 gauge, and with a distribution block 8 gauge to both amps, and just my one PA bridged the incorrect way i had it was dimming the lights, beating my 1.2 cap to death and battery gauge like no other. Are you sure that if i were to wire them 2 amps up with that setup that my alternator, battery and my wires wouldnt burn up?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 851
It sounds like your charging system's not up to par and in this situation a capacitor will simply put an extra strain on it, so do NOT install a cap until you have a high output alternator, a deep cycle battery, and the problem persists. Your statement about beating "battery gauge" makes no sense. With 2 amps you're still looking at around 1400W of power, which needs an alternator upgrade - runs about $300 depending on the car and such. It sounds like you're far in between solutions. Less power - doesn't sound good; more power - can't handle it. See what I'm saying?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us