Why are my lights still dimming even though im using a capacitor

Username: Nameyourpoison

Socorro, New mexico Usa

Post Number: 2
I have 2 12 inch eclipse 500 rms speakers wired in 4ohms load running off of a jl audio 1000/1. im using a kole 2.5 farad cap and when the bass really hits my lights still dim.Should i buy a higher farad cap or is their something wrong with this cap?

Username: Heresy209

Post Number: 5
well, i've been reading this forum all day, and i've come to believe that caps don't really help(going by what waaaaaaaaaay more than one person has said), and you're better off getting a new alternator

kragan
Unregistered guest
what is the amp rating on your alternator and/or what kind of car?

Socorro, New mexico Usa

Post Number: 3
I have a 98 f-150 and i think the alt is cranking out between 120-160 im not sure .

Username: Kragan

Post Number: 5
Thats pretty high output for a stock alternator. If that is the case and your lights are still dimming then you may want to consider removing that cap and going with a second battery instead.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 105
OK, here is the exact reason why Glasswolf, me and others have been telling people why Capacitors are a gimmik. CAPS WILL NOT DO ANYTHING FOR YOU. Listen closely (even though you wont pay attention because you had already bought a cap) The battery powers up the cap (make power lose right of the bat) The cap takes the power and does nothing but pass it along to the AMP. The AMP takes the power and gives it to the subs, the subs play the bass. So in the end we are left with the cap making the whole car work harder to supply it with energy just so it can store it and then when you turn off your car the energy in the cap is depleted and the whole waste of energy process starts over again. So congradulate yourself. You bought something that you wasted 60-100 dollars on that will do anything but solve your problem. You and others should have taken the money and put it into a alternator or something.

Socorro, New mexico Usa

Post Number: 4
oh well i guess i got screwed . im gonna go out and buy another battery or just a 200amp alt.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2982
a capacitor will help only when the alternator is already strong enough. the capacitor is only really useful to increase transient response of the amplifier.
It's not going to replace a battery or alternator, because it doesn't produce power.
what you need is a bigger alternator.
in your case, one that's about 100-120A larger than the stock one to handle that 1000/1
that's a beastial amplifier there.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 111
Scott, When you get all of the battery and Alternator upgraded then adding a cap will help you a LITTLE but other than that caps a primarly used for people who have a that stuff and just want to keep buying things. They also help some in competition but Glasswolf could tell you about competition.

Anonymous

Capacitors help with immediate voltage supply to the amp. Sometimes an alternator will be regulated, but when the amp kicks a hard bass note, the amp will have to pull, then the alternator will have to catch and possibly keep up. The capacitor will store electrical energy so that the amp will be consistently powered.

Anonymous

the last anonymous post hit the nail on the head
dont replace your freggin alternater. get a bigger battery.
the cap gains juice 10x faster and keeps it 10x longer then the battery. when the bass drops the cap saves the alternater from workin o/t.
for a 1000/1 amp run 2gauge wire or 1/0 if you havent already. a custom high output alternater for your truck is gonna run you 1000+ bucks.....
get a smaller amp for your subs
think about a tsunami battery cap for your battery also.itll keep the juice flowin to your amp till it starts to drain the battery an cause the alternater to run more then kick off till your stuffs back to normal.. think pied piper is where i got mine.

Anonymous

the way i see it is we know what a capaciter does right it is like a battery but the power can drain from it at the speed of light now if there was a risistor behind it then the currant would slow down then maybee it would work to stop dimming your lights but i have a feeling that the amp would not run as eficiant o well just my thoughts but to tell you the truth i have never worked with them

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3016
the battery will only help when the car's engine is off.
read:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=10.topic
and
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=23.topic
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us