What box shoud i use for my RF 12"? Ported, Bandpass, or sealed.......................please help

fossil19
Unregistered guest
I just bought 2 fosgate subs 12" and i want to know what they sound better in? Ive heard ported and bandpass should sound best.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
hi fossil, and to be honest there is no real answer to that question.
they all have advantages and limitations such as:

ported- more efficient especially with low powered systems but also the ability to tune to specific frequencies by using the port. however port length and size matters for tuning to the proper frequency especially where the drivers Fs is concerned but also to the listener.

sealed: very simple to build and can give very good sound reproduction but less efficient and harder to tune for specific frequencies but does give a very flat responce curve which is ideal.

bandpass: can be tuned for lots of bass but only within a limited range and does not give accurate bass reproduction across the spectrum so you will have to design your rolloff and crossover points very carefully to get something thats accurate.

basically it depends on the music you listen to, your skill level and familiarity with math, using formulas and woodworking skills and to some degree the type of vehicle you have both for size limitations and sound or rather vehicle acoustics.
for example a bandpass box for two 12's is going to be pretty large and if you have a small car or need to leave room for things like storage then it wouldnt be the best thing.
typically youll find that sealed will be among the smallest enclosures and can get even smaller by using passive radiators or isobaric configurations, ported is a little larger and about twice that of sealed on average and bandpass is very large since it requires a chamber for the front and back of the subwoofer.
personally im not a very big fan of bandpass at all and a well designed vented system would in my opinion always be the better choice.

mainly think about the type of music you listen to and the type of bass youd like to reproduce and that should steer you more into which of the designs will work best for you.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
email me your credit card details fossil19 and il email you some designs for your speakers
jay
($27.99)

fossil19
Unregistered guest
I want to create loud bass and i only listen to Rap?Hip-Hop. I also want the system to be heard from far away. Basically i just want it to be very loud and hitting hard.

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 31
if u want LOUD bass go with 2 12" JBL GTO subs. ull love em

Bronze Member

Bc Canada

Post Number: 32
o and go with a ported box

idiot
Unregistered guest
makaveli.... fossil19 stated at the begining of this thread that he already had a pair of RF12's, telling him about other speakers doesnt answer his question

Bronze Member

Bc Canada

Post Number: 34
i said he should go with a ported box encase u missed that so dont bring my name up.!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us