Zx1000.1

Silver Member
Username: Smoke05

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 286
im planning on buying this... in the manual says that i should use 1/0 gauge power wire. is this necesary or can i use 4 gauge...?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1332
If the manual says 1/0, use 1/0. Umm, duh.

It is always ok to use a larger gauge wire than what is required, but never use a smaller one.

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 119
I dont know how big my power wire is, but im planning on buying a ZX1000.1 amp too. If mine is too small does that mean I have to rewire my power wire that I had done professionally? WHats wrong if I dont use a bigger one?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 160
wire that's too small chokes the amp and then you'll be clipping and will probably fry your subs and if it's bad enough you can fry your amp. so yeah it's not good. and i think that bigger wire means less resistance which means more power to your amps.

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 287
ok, the i will use knukonzept 1/0 amp kit plus klarity 2 chan rca... is that right?
plus both the power wire and the rca are 17 ft long.. is that enough... i mean i have an altima and from bumper to bumper the car is about 16ft long...

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 288
bump damn it bump

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 426
thats plenty long for almost any install....

and john, if its already been done, it should be easy even if you dont know what youre doing. just run all the wires in the same locations. there should already be hole in the fire wall, just make it a little bigger and you should be fine

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
dang, thats gonna be a fig buckin yob.. Umm i have no clue how big my power wire is, i just bought it in a package from my local audio shop, is there a way to figure out how big it is without the box handy?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
I just measured my power/ground wire and it measures at .2060" (around the colored casing). I read that .2043" is the size of a 4 gauge wire. Is my wire big enough to handle the ZX1000.1 amp? Actually, when measuring power/wire, to figure out the gauge, you do measure around the colored casing correct? If so, I have clearance! Just let me know so i can take this sweatband off.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4367
go with 2AWG or lower. Play safe.

Bronze Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
i have a kicker zx1000.1 and i just recieved my kicker 1/0 gauge wire off ebay for a total of 120 dollars it came with 20 feet of 1/0 gauge, 3 feet 1/0 gauge ground, it is a dual amp package so it comes with another 5 feet of 4 gauge positive, and 5 feet of 4 gauge ground, a steel kicker decal, and thats about it, it is HEAVY DUTY WIRE.... Go to ebay its a ggreat deal for cheap,

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1377
" wire that's too small chokes the amp and then you'll be clipping and will probably fry your subs and if it's bad enough you can fry your amp. so yeah it's not good. and i think that bigger wire means less resistance which means more power to your amps. "

Yep, exactly. Wire that's too small will also cause the fuse to keep blowing (or burn up the wire and posibly start a fire if you didn't use a fuse).

Bronze Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 73
yeah M.S is right, just spend 120 and get a good 1/0 gauge kit and ull be good thats what i did and i have the same amp, thing is i dont know why they say 1/0 gauge, as 2 gauge barely fits in the terminals lol

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 789
Since the power run is a bit long, they say using 1/0awg wire. If that doesn't fit in the terminal, you can always use a fused distribution block (especially if you have more than 1 amp), from which you can have really short runs of 4awg wire (if the run's really short, you can run smaller wire).

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
what do u mean if the run is really short?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 800
Short run of power wire is about 3ft, meaning you can use smaller than recommended wire without it catching fire. Those, also, must be fused (usually done by getting a fused distribution block).

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
WHat would you guys suggest then. Im looking for the Biggest Kicker amp that will allow me to use my existing 4AWG Wire. How about the SX900.2? Or the ZX/KX850.2, or the ZX750.1? Let me know, because I cant afford a $120 amp wiring kit, plus a new amp =( im poor.

Bronze Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

Texas

Post Number: 16
hmm.. well i have one with 4g wire kit. it seems to be fine. i'm not exactly pushing it too hard. its just pushing one 15" L5.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 804
Find the amp that says it needs 4awg. Really, if you need that much power, you should upgrade the wiring to 0awg. If you need even more power later, you won't need to upgrade.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 805
This article however suggests that 4awg wire is fine:

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

4awg wire can handle a 1355W class D amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
all i need is 1000rms and if 4awg works for this, then awesome, if not ill just downgrade.
THats an interesting article. when it says "Max Total Amp Power Class D (75% eff) [1355watts]" That should be enough then. If this is the case, why is everyone frontin? No offence or anything, I just dont want it to blow the subs/amp, if its too risky, ill just downgrade.. Re-running wire is about out of the question at this point in time.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 806
they're not fronting, they're going with what the manual says. I think 4awg wire will be fine with that amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Ah, I see what your sayin mayn

Bronze Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

Texas

Post Number: 18
yup. 4wg will do the trick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums