It sucks being a noob. :-)

Username: Revolution86

Winnipeg

Post Number: 1
well hello everyone and let me introduce myself (hope you don't mind reading a bit) and pose a question to you pros about my situation...

i am just getting into car audio and i am an idiot! the only reason i'm even getting into car audio is because i bought a car that turned out to have one messed up speaker and a JVC deck that wasn't hooked up and didn't work. But i got the bug and now it's too late for me.

So it begun... i walked into a great car audio store to buy some cheap speakers... i wanted quality, but i wasn't there to spend over 100 bucks. but i got talked into a pretty good ultimate component set with crossovers, swivel tweets... pretty nice 6.5" mids. good stuff for the money. cheaper than the Type S and performs with the type R except for at the very top end when the Type R takes over.

i can't remember exactly why, but i ended up getting an Alpine amp... a 240. 4 channels... i wanted to run a single type S 10" off of two channels of it back then (just a few weeks ago... lol, but since then my whole way of thinking about car audio has changed.) and i got a cheap 2002 alpine deck off a kid at school to hold me over 'til i get a really high end one.

So lately it's been time to get myself a sub. I was thinking to myself... I want something that pounds. Forget this puny single 10" type S stuff... I'll move up to a nice CVR10 Kicker. looks perfect... bridge two channels off the amp to the sub, the other two to my crossovers. a great budget system.

Well, now i've got an Alpine 12" type R sitting here. I think it just got out of hand. Now I need a new amp. I'll bridge my current amp to two channels and run it to my crossovers... and then comes a nice big monoblock. :D

I can get an MRD 1001 brand new from the store for $800 Canadian. MSRP in the store is $1600. I'll get another Type R 12, or perhaps another kind of sub and run them on the MRD 1001...

Dear god what am i getting into... :-(

maybe it's not too late. Maybe I can just run this one sub by itself... but how? Can i keep my puny amp or will i kill the sub with distortion? I really want to use the amp for my components as well as the sub... But i can't see that happen anytime soon.

I got a good deal on that MRD1001 I think. If i get it, there's no turning back...

Anonymous

well here is one thing i would never run my components on the same amps as my subs it just dont sound right to me what you could do i just get another amp a small one that is just enough to power them and then get rca splitters and run you power wire to it and all that suff and i am not realy experianced with 4ch amps but then i think that i heard you can only bridge 2 channals on them so then i would wire the 2 subs together in perllel and then you should be set

Anonymous

o you can try the 2 subs but if the amp dont have enough power then you well just have to up grade later on

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2918
that single type R should be fine.
if it's got a coil configuration of 4+4 ohm dual coils, run it on an Alpine MRD-500.
That'll deliver 500wRMS to the single 12" which should be plenty of power to drive that sub in a niec sealed box for a good low end response.

then, take that 4 channel amp and bridge it to 2 channels and use it to drive the front stage (Ultimates) with full power. Forget rear fill entirely, as in a good sound system, you don't use rear fill anyway.

that done, you should be all set. no need for two subs, or the added cost of the MRD-1k1.
That is, unless your purpose is to drive other people crazy and be obnoxious to the neighbors.
The single 12" will make a very tight, clean system for you in just about any sort of vehicle for daily driver needs.

Username: Revolution86

Winnipeg

Post Number: 2
Well, I took my Type R 12" into the store today to get it checked out by my salesperson. He looked it over and said it was in great shape. What a relief. I told him I was thinking about getting another 12" type R and hooking it up to the MRD-1k1... he said, okay sure... but when we started talking we kinda thought that I can definitely get away with running this sub by itself, which I would rather do any day of the week! I definitely do not need 2 12" subs in my car! lol.

But he'll cut me such a good deal on that MRD1k1 that it isn't even funny. We're looking at below cost by a bit (cost=$738, retail=over $1600). With the price he's offered to sell it to me for (it's the last MRD1k1 he has in stock) i'd really be a fool to get a lower model which will be only a small bit less money. And if I want to upgrade to the 12" Type X next year (after I upgrade my components to Alpine SPX-F17M) I still have plenty of power to run to it.

A ported box and the SWR1241 with the MRD1k1 would be too much amp, but with a properly sealed and designed box, the amp should match the sub pretty good and i don't have to redline the gains... same with my current component set on the MRP-F240... It'll almost take the whole amp, but my gains don't have to be maxxed out.

So I think things are finally coming together and the audio situation's getting under control for the time being until it's time to upgrade again... DVD deck/Type X subs/Type X components...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2933
remember, if you use a single 4 ohm sub, that MRD1001 will only deliver 500 watts, which is just right.
then adding a second 4 ohm sub later will give 500 watts per sub
so that works out anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us