Lexan Window for sub box

Robert J
Unregistered guest
Guys i'm looking to put a 1/4inch lexan 7x7 window in my sub box. The sub is a 12inch Brahma, so it is pushing alot of air. And the box size is 1.13cf, the amp is a 340rms alpine. The question is, is the lexan going to flex and i was also wondering if 1/4 plexyglass would be strong enough with the window be so small.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2876
if the window is going into a part of the box that will subject that pane to the pressures exerted by the sub, you'll need at least 3/4" lexan.
preferably 1"

Robert J
Unregistered guest
it's going to be to the side of the sub. And i also would like to put a 3 inch long neon in side wright below the window so it lights up the side of the sub that i would be looking at, will the presure be to much for the light and if so could i put a lexan frame around it so it wouldn't have to with stand the forces of the sub. One more question if i use a meatal brace inside the box instead of wood which you have sugested to other, would it affect the sub with the magnet only being 2 to 4 inchs away.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2904
use wood for cross-bracing.
metal resonates too much.

neon is so.. 1996.

the lexan you need for the window will need to be 1" thick. that material, last I checked, was about $800+ for a 4'x8' sheet.
There's a reason you don't see a lot of boxes made from lexan or plexi. They usually cost a few grand to build, and take a lot of time sanding and polishing the edges.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us