Alpine type r's ported or sealed?

hey
i just bought 2 10 inch alpine type r's and i was wondering if I should put them in a sealed box or a ported box. im gunna build the box. i listen to rap and techno. i heard the 2 in a computer slot ported box and it sounded so sweet but i was wondering if a sealed box would sound the same. people tell me to just make it sealed but i want it to sound atleast as good as the slotted port box. also im doing this in a standard cab pickup truck. please give me ur input.
thanks
keith

can somone please help me out?

Dave
a sealed box will have higher sq, your frequencies will hold to the curve of the woofer, as with a prted box you'll gain more spl, (3db, or if you use a really big box 6-7db), but the accuracie of the woofer drops slightly due to the porting. So what it pretty much comes down to is ported is louder but you need more space, and sealed can have asmaller space and is sometimes more accurate. (Side Note: bandbass is the loudest but also has the smallest frequency band)

yea i just wanna set off car alarms around town and maybe get into some competitions. i dunno if 2 10's are loud enough to win a comp though. im thinkin bout goin slot ported though. also how much more room are we talking about between the ported and sealed box's?
thanks

i got 2 12'' alpine type R's ina ported bandpass...go wit the ported bandpass if u wanna set u off alarms..i do it all the time at the mall, but i got me a BD1000 dropped at 2 ohms bein pushed by them though
www.thezeb.com thats where i got my box from, good prices

al
I have two 12" type Rs in my 4 runner in the ported market box. I'll tell you something they'll shake the hell out of my suv. In a car or pickup with less air space would be insane.

also keep in mind, not all subs work in any type of box.
here's how to calculate which box type is ideal for your subs, based on Thiele-Small parameters:

Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)
EBP = Fs / Qes
50 or less = best used in a sealed enclosure.
50 - 90 = flexible enclosure options.
90 or greater = best used in ported enclosure.

With the Type-R subs, I'd probably go with ported for what you want.

Unregistered guest
I got 2 15" pyramid's

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pyrpw1586&store=&catid=370

what kind of box should i get ? I wanna kill old people

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 126
one with very sharp edges then.

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 73
rofl glasswolf......and pyramid..ewwwwwwww ur better off throwing those subs at people if u want to kill them lol its just a hunk of metal and magnet at soeone in hopes of breaking a bone

Username: Yhammack

Post Number: 9
lol.... You couldn't even hurt someone throwing those subs, the magnet's too damn small!

btw, I have a friend that's running 1 Type R 10 in an extended cab f150, dude just port them. We tried sealed and ported both, probably twice as loud ported when tuned to the correct frequency. (His sounded best around 34Hz) Personally I hate the way subs sound in a bandpass because their so "boomy" and inaccurate. Just run 4" ports, or slot port if you have room. It think the recommended cu ft is like 0.8 ft^3 for sealed enclosure, I believe my frined is at 1.6 cu ft with his ported enclosure. Keep in mind that's for 1 sub though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us