Installing L7 questions help plz

Bronze Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 48
Hey whats up I have two 10" L7's their not in the box yet tho so I need to kno their 2 ohm subs so I need to kno if wen I put thm in the box how do I hook up the wire inside tthe terminals to run at 2 ohms I don't even know how to hook up them up period. I'm trying to install 2 amps with thm and a cap do I have to set the amps up 2 run at 2 ohms or will thy do it automatically I need help on the whole installation process any1 kno where I could get a complete guide on the net including power wire hook up??

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1422
First off I wouldn't reccomend using that Cap.Secondly you can run the 2 amps off of 1 set of RCA cables using a Y cable it splits one signal cable into two basically.Here,read this a few times and you should be able to get it.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-k8KNHBqduRl/learningcenter/car/amplifier_ins tallation_guide.html?page=1

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1423
Also Ohm load is determined by the speakers(Which are resistors).You either have dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm subs,I believe...when you wire them in parallel your resistance drops in half(Dual 2 ohm wired in parallel would become 1Ohm) and when in series dual 2 ohm would be come 4 ohm(2+2=4).First go and read about how to hook up your amplifier's power,ground,remote and signal cables(RCAs) and then when it comes time to hook up the subs we can help you out again.Tell us exactly what amplifiers you're using so we can tell you how to wire the subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Iight I have two audiobahn a800t amps (800 watt) mono. And I want my subs to run at 2 ohms not 1.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1424
Here are your wiring options.If you try to wire the subs separate to each amp you can only get a 1 or a 4 ohm load.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=2&woofer_imp=3

So you might as well only use 1 amp and wire together.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
So you mean to tell me I can't have my 2 ohm subs running at 2 ohms?? The subs run at 600 rms so how am I gona run 2 subs on 1 of my amps wen at 4 ohms my amp is only 400 watts its 800 watts at 2 ohms. My friend had 2 10" l7s running off 1 of these amps and thy blew from not having enough power and that site doesn't work.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1426
A sub will never blow from not having too little power.A sub will blow if the amp has too little power.A sub will also blow if you're sending a bad signal to them(Clipping) Which causes the sub to heat up very badly and smokes it.Under powering a speaker will never cause it to blow.Only heat/thermal overload will cause a speaker to blow.I'm sure your friend didn't properly set his gain on his amp and that's why or his charging system wasn't providing the amplifier enough voltage to produce proper clean power/signals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Well how do you ensure your getting a clean system and not clipping them? And I have no clue how 2 set the gain properly and the other controls... like I kno how 2 turn it up and down but I don't kno what's proper

Bronze Member
Username: Rob1083

Post Number: 39
if you are running a total of 800 rms your stock charging system should be alright good idea to add a cap tho. gain should match h.u. pre amp voltage i believe.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Yea I oly have a 2 farad cap but I don't know how 2 wire the subs to get them at 4 ohms the links don't work and I don't know how to use 1 set of rca's for 2 amps or anything else of the install process.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
sounds to me like u might want to pay someone who know what they are doing, unless u got a friend, or u will probably pay more in the long run by either ruining parts of your system or having bad results{trust me i know from experience} u sound really green on the subject and the chances of u getting it all right are not good.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1428
If he reads the link I sent him and listens he'll be just fine.Here is how you set the gain on your amplifier.

http://subwoofertools.com/default.asp?ContentID=1&CategoryID=12

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i was just saying better safe then sorry, but if u think ur up to it dwight then go for it. just don't guess if ur not completely sure take the time and find out.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 952
" sounds to me like u might want to pay someone who know what they are doing, unless u got a friend, or u will probably pay more in the long run by either ruining parts of your system or having bad results (trust me i know from experience) u sound really green on the subject and the chances of u getting it all right are not good. "

Well obviously you haven't learned very much if you're telling him to use a capacitor.....

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 339
If youre going to be underpowering the subs, dont try to make up for it by turning the gain way up. I made that mistake and it most likely contributed to my premier tsw3002 blowing after less than 6 months

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
From what I hear with a ported enclosure thy run at 450 rms and my amps r pushing 400 rms so I should be good
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us