HO alt question(s)

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 2222
alright ive never shopped for an HO alt before, i wuz wondering if this alt would work for me and my xx colossus?? Thanx.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220-Iraggi-Alternator-00-01-02-03-04-Ford-Mazda_W 0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQitemZ7958462405

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 590
Just off the top of my head that is gonna be pretty close assuming that you will run it @ 2ohms.... I think you should be fine but don't forget your fs amp in the equation.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2223
Thanx Brad, what do u mean fs??

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 594
Front stage, the amp for your comps or whatever you have for mids and highs -- people tend to forget to add that in when they calculate how much amperage they need.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2224
kool i didnt even know bout "front stage" thanx, well i really dont need one because im just running my stock speakers and a couple of small tweaters im not really worried about the highs much, kinda off topic, but i was gonna get BL in stead of Q, the BL is louder right, but if im going for more hairtrickish bass, shouldnt i go with the Q because it has more excursion, wont it move more air?? Thanx.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2211
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220-Iraggi-Alternator-00-01-02-03-04-Ford-Mazda_W 0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQitemZ7958462377

150amps at idle vs 85amps. I would go with the amputator, even though its $100 more. You will be able to bang at stops or at low speeds.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 597
LOL thats a very tricky question and a whole 'nother can of worms but... generally excursion doesn't equate to output, or as a you say moving air. It relates more to how low the driver can go. In the comparison of the Q to the BL, even though the Q is capable of a little more excursion (xmax is a misused term), the BL's motor strength (bl) is greater, so it can theoretically move air with a greater force. Chad raves about the BL's sq, so it is safe to say it still retains a fair amount of sq. That will probably be your best bet for what you want.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2225
I thank your VERY much Brad for your help because i know completely nothing about car auto and alts, so if i get the one u mentioned id be able to bump harder when parked??

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 600
Welcome man, I thought with your post count and register date and just from seeing you around that you knew all this stuff.

No, you are dealing with your batteries at that point, if by parked you mean engine off. But I guess you could look at it like your batteries will be (kept) better charged with your new alt, so I guess a little bit?

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 601
And on the same topic -- The alt that BernyMac posted would be worth the extra coin like he said if you have the $$$.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2212
Don't know what that amp puts out. but with your car on and with that alt in the link I gave. you will see less voltage drop at idle. and at crusing you will most likely see no voltage drop at all and no dimming.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2226
lol ya for a while i would be on 24 hours a day chatting mostly in the subwoofer section, and some in the amp section but i still know 0 about alt, batt, blah blah.

Kewl ya i mean like with engine on, but ok so i need that alt, a yellow top, and 1 gauge wire from alt to batt, alt to ground, batt to ground?? Thanx.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 602
It will put out 3200 @ 1ohm (usually benches at 3400+) so it is a beast to run. That's why I mentioned to throw on his fs amp cuz it is very close lol.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2227
o lol my bad Berny i didnt even notice that you were the one that posted that lol thanx man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us