I need a box plan

Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 4
I'm going to build my own box for my sub and I need some suggestions for building one.
My sub specs (FI SSD 15"):
Fs: 25.9 Hz | 25.3 Hz
Re: 0.75 Ohms/coil | 1.5 Ohms/coil
Qms: 4.78 | 4.89
Qes: .65 | ..58
Qts: .57 | .52
Mms: 246g | 258g
Cms: 0.15mm/N | 0.15mm/N
Sd: 810cm^2 | 810cm^2
Vas: 141.3 l | 141.3 l
Spl: 87.6dB 1W/1m | 87.8dB 1W/1m
Bl: 9.3 N/A | 00.0 N/A
Xmax: 21mm
Rms: 800W
Sealed box: N/A cuft
Ported box: 3-4 cuft @ 33Hz
Sub OD: 15.625"
Cut ID: 14.125"
Mounting depth: 8.000"
Displacement: 0.17cuft

The biggest size my trunk will hold is 36 x 18inches, but I really don't want one that big if it is not necessary, I just want the size that will make this sub the best it can be.
I would like to put my amp on my box if that is possible, but I heard the vibrations can mess up the amp, anyone got any suggestions for this?
---Also, anyone got any remedies on what to put in the box that effects sound in a good way. I've heard of people putting foam in it but I'm not sure.

Post Number: 5
Oh, I forgot to mention, I want the box to be ported.

Post Number: 6
bump

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 853
What is the other maximum dimension? 36 x 18 x __?? If I get that I will probably be able to help you.

Post Number: 7
I'm not sure, whatever it takes to make the sub sound good, I got alot of room, basicaly the whole trunk, so go from there?

Bronze Member
Username: Turnmat

Post Number: 67
well you need height x width x depth...alot easier to figure out if we have all three dimensions...

Post Number: 8
Hey matt, does a bigger box sound better than a smaller one or does it matter? I will update with some demensions in the nexxt 10 minutes

Post Number: 9
Ok, the height can only be 16 inches, the width can be at most 35, and the depth can be at most 25.

Post Number: 10
**sorry for the double post, but no post editing on here :-(**

I really wouldnt want to use one that is that deep, I want a little trunk space because my brother has to put his baseball bag in there alot.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1360
logan should be able to help you out with plans

don't attach the amp to the box, what you have been told is correct. also, the only thing you can really do to a ported box is use fiberglass resin on the inside, which makes it smoother and more rigid

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks man. Is there anyway I get get in touch with Logan? Also I really don't have any other place to mount an amp, I'm trying to set up a trunk display.

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1364
you could do what i did and just make a small rack right by the box. its basically just an "L" shape. even looks like its mounted on the box...

Upload

fastest way to get ahold of him is to start a thread with his name titled

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
that looks more than a L shape, How would you go about building a rack and moutning it to trunk?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
a box that is to big will not sound good...your sub will not be giving you the bass you want and to small of a box will do the same thing. In a smaller box you can add filling or acoustic sound dampening to give you a little bit better sound. I dont recommend it...didnt have that good of results when i tried it.

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1366
its just a 2x4 on bottom with the two pieces you see on each side screwed into it. mine looks kinda ghetto lol but it works. made that in like 10 min...

sound dampening material should really only be used in sealed boxes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
i tried it in a sealed box but i know someone who used the mats of sound dampening material in a ported box both times.. it didnt turn out that great

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1367
oh by the way, its not mounted at all, just sittin there. its actually dual purpose, keeps my box from sliding during acceleration

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
lol...very nice definently ghetto rigged j/k its a nice setup Just out of cuiosity why not use velcrow to hold the box in place?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
how do you get it to stay there if its not mounted

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
my guss is the box is holding it in place...and it doesnt look like it has much roomto move around anyhow

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Here's a better question, how do you get your box from sliding forward when you stop? That is going to be my problem because I make alot of sudden stops lol.

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1368
^^^correct. during acceleration my box moves back, pushing the rack against the back of my trunk. theres probably about 2" for it to move forward, and i rarely stop quickly, so thats fine. its self sufficient standing up too, doesn't topple over. is the only place i could really put the amp actually...

don't know why i didn't bother with velcrow. might have a hard time sticking to carpet... oh well, what i have works fine :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
use the velcrow...you can get it at any fabric store... not sure if i am spelling that right though. You adhere the one half to your box and the other the floor and when you put the box on it, it will stick...shouldnt move...well i never had a problem with it but you might stop alot faster than me...lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
^^the velcrow worked pretty good for me...it took a little bit to pull of the carpet on both the box and the floor...but hey yours works the way you have it

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1369
lol i know how to use velcrow, but good lookin out. i'll consider it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
How do you stick velcrow to the carpet of your trunk? Or Am I gonna have to cut a square of the carpet out to stick the velcrow there?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
i know you know how to use velcrow...your post didnt show when i went to put that post up...but yea just trying to watch out for you. i was in a bad accident a few years back and i didnt use velcrow and my sytem ended up in my back seat...kinda hurt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
the velcrow should be sticky enough...and you dont absolutly do not want to cut your carpet up cause if and when you goto sell the vehicle missing a souple pieces of carpet doesnt look so great...lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
I am going to sleep but i will be back on in the morning to post if you have anymore questions.

bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
is 16" height going to be enough for a 15" sub? lol I might be able to sneak in another inch, you see, my comp amp is what is limiting the height of my trunk. I got it upside down in the top center of my trunk between my 6x9s

Gold Member

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1370
as long as the sub fits with like 2" of room between the bottom of it and the box its fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Not going to be able to do that. I only got 16" of heigh with comp amp there. Eric do you have any messenger where we can talk alot easier?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
:-( Still have no plans. How many inches in height is reccommened for a 15" sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us