My 1st Install - Part 2

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 972
My 680mp came this morning so i've got all the equipment now. I don't have to work this Sunday and the weather is supposed to be a lil warmer so i might get started.

I'm assuming the install is gonna be more than a 1 day job for me especially since i'm inexperienced. So my question is...what order should i do things in? Should i start by installing the head unit? Or work on running the power wire? or what?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1876
Doesn't really matter, but I did an install for my friend two days ago and I started off by putting in the hu, then ran power wire, remote, rca to the back, and then did the amp and subs..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3664
yeah id put the HU in and run the wires and everything and if you have time put the amps in

Silver Member

Post Number: 973
aiight that's pretty much what i was thinkin. God i'm so excited yet so nervous :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 11031
make sure you disconnect the battery when doing your installs.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2225
take out the stock radio, run all the wires you need, hook up the amps and subs, then wire the rcas and everything to the head unit, but dont "install" the head unit till everything works, same goes for the amps

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3672
^x a million and carefully check all connections before re-attaching battery. get yourself some electrical tape as well, and if you have spare time befor then wire your harness to the HU harness right now to speed things up

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3673
^(that was to chads post)

Silver Member

Post Number: 976
well i thought i would maybe try to wire the adapter harness to the HU's harness tonight like you said mat since i can do it indoors (it's still freezing outside). But i started looking at everything and got really confused :-).

the HU's harness has wires with lil tags that say like +battery, mute, remote...and so on. The adapter harness doesn't have these labels but it did come with like a mastersheet or w/e from crutchfield which coordinates the colors with function. But the function titles don't match the ones on the hu's harness. so i'm unsure which ones to connect.

hope that made sense, any input from anyone would be appreciated, i'ma sponge waiting to soak up knowledge. thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 11042
usually the color of the cables on the hu matches the color of the harness.

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
is there some way i can verify that that is the case with mine? because they have a warning on the mastersheet saying that they don't always match just by color, i guess it depends on the car. the warning was what made me nervous in the first place.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3679
are you running speakers off your HU?

the red is the power goes to the red wire
the orange wires connect to eachother they are for lights
the yellow is 12v memory goes to the other yellow.
black goes to a ground.
post what crutchfield gave you with your harness and then post the colors from your HU

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
not running speakers off HU, but will connect 2 amps to HU...

i decided to keep my Jeeps infinity system to see how it sounds with an aftermarket HU. i can upgrade in the future if i don't like it.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3682
well then you are still running stock speaks off the HU so you will need to wire the speaker wire in the harness to the HU as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us