BASS BOOST/GAIN QUESTION

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 330
Been reading on some threads that having bass boost turned on from the amplifier can be bad and ins't necessarily a good thing. I noticed that when I had my subs and amplifier professionally installed that they have the bass boost on a little bit...

Do you think I should go back and turn it down, then set the gain myself... or should I just leave it the way it is?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1303
Set the gain properly and your equipment will love you back.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 332
It already has been set by the guys who did the install, but the bass boost is up a little bit (like about halfway). Should I set everything back to normal and redo it myself?

Also, my subs are in a ported box. Should I turn on the subsonic filter?

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1243
u know whut i have noticed ery1 says set ur gain properly but yet no1 knows how to properly do it.....

if ur gonna say that plz back urself up

n yes if ur box is ported put your subsonic filter on to a little below wut ur box is tunned too

as for tha bas boost its okay as long as u dont go crzy wit it..... just like a motor it might be built by grumpy jenkins himself but it can still blow if u go crzy wit it.....

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 335
Nah man it ain't too crazy in fact it sounds plenty fine, the only problem with the subsonic filter is that I have no idea what my box is tuned to... when I asked the guy when I bought it he said "80" but I'm thinking he meant 80/2 so 40... but I could be wrong. Any way to figure that out?

And I do know how to set gain :P

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1305
If you know how to set your gain then why are you making this thread?I'm pulling the BS card out because you're full of it right now.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 336
LOL Rob you seabasstard, I am just being cautious. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't have had it installed by the pro's then eh? I have just been seeing lately that some threads are saying don't have the bass boost knob on at all. Mine is on about halfway (I don't know the numbers), the gain is on, etc... everything was set up for me except for the subsonic filter. I'm JUST ASKING FOR HELP because I don't want to screw it up. It sounds fine AS IS, HOWEVER, should I reset everything to baseline and figure out the gain myself with the bass boost off, or leave it as is if I'm satisfied?

Should I even mess w/ the subsonic?

I JUST WANTED SOME HELP. Thought thats what the forums were for...

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1307
"Nah man it ain't too crazy in fact it sounds plenty fine, the only problem with the subsonic filter is that I have no idea what my box is tuned to... when I asked the guy when I bought it he said "80" but I'm thinking he meant 80/2 so 40... but I could be wrong. Any way to figure that out?

And I do know how to set gain :P"

^You said you know how to set your gain so why do you need our help?I'm just going off of what you said.If you know how to set your gain you shouldn't need to ask any questions about B.B and all those other things.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 337
Ok since no one has really ANSWERED my question, I'll repost it in English so that people can understand:

1) I NEVER ORIGINALLY SET MY GAIN, BASS BOOST, OR SUBSONIC FILTER. I HAD PEOPLE THAT DID IT FOR ME. IT SOUNDS GREAT. I READ THAT I SHOULDN'T USE BASSBOOST, AND SINCE I KNOW HOW TO SET A GAIN, SHOULD I JUST TURN BASS BOOST OFF AND ADJUST GAIN MYSELF?

Wow that was a complicated question... hmmm...

I didn't ask OMFFFFG HOW DO YOU SET UP GAIN?!?!#!$#!11111

Then I strayed off topic about Subsonic filter...

1) How do you figure out your Hz of your box?
2) Should I even turn it on?

Not that hard to answer. Rob I'm basically ignoring whatever you say, so STFU.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 71
if u know what you are doing, then 1) record the settings 2) make the changes you want to make 3)determine what you like better .......yes you do need your subsonic filter cuto n if you have a ported box...to find out what it is ported to you need the specs of the box the port and the driver to calculate that

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3991
what equipment are you using?
bass boost should be kept minimal (around 0-3db)
settign gains can be done by ear, dmm, or o scope. the o scope is the most accurate way followed by the dmm. using your ear can be iffy.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 338
Trevor:

Amp: Kicker KX1200.1
Subs: 2 Alpine Type-Rs (not for long...)
As far as equipment goes, the manual for the amp told me to set the headunit's volume at around 75% (I think?) and to turn up gain until you hear distortion, then turn the gain down a little bit and I'm set...

I will have to get ahold of them at the shop and ask them the specs for that box since I don't know what they are, either that or I could get out the measuring stick and take em' manually.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2487
Set the SS filter at 25-30hz. A SS filter is only there to correct for imperfections in recording below the supposed audible level keeping the sub from damaging it self, has nothing to do with the tune. Due to the fact that most recording errors (thumps) occur below 20hz, hence the name subsonic filter it should not be used as a control aid or cover up inperfections in subwoofer control caused by an inadequate enclosure. I personally like to hear music down to 25 hz so I use the SS filter at 25 hz BUT my Kicker sx series amps allows me to tailer the slew rate which is set at 12db, this allows it to blend into the adjacent lower frequencies instead of a steaper 18 or 24db/octave slope. Hope this helps...Polo...

PS- My box is tuned to 41hz...

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1244
rob wut is wrong wit u he just asked if he should have the bass boost turned up or not got dern callm down wow that dudes crzy i think its fine if its up a lil it okay

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 339
Polo you and your hairy arms to the rescue. I'll fool around with the settings when I have time this weekend and see whats up. I'll record the "default" settings from the guys that installed it first in case I want to go back. :D

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2488
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 340
Polo:

1 Disconnect speakers.

2 Turn your gain/input sensetivity all the way down. Turn off bass boost and any crossovers.

3 Turn on your head unit. Set the volume control to 3/4 of full. Set all equalization and bass/treble controls to zero. Turn off loudness and BBE processing.

4 Probe your amplifier's outputs.

5 Insert your tone CD. Select a tone within your amplifier's playing range.

6 Play your selected tone and adjust the gain until you reach your target voltage.

7 Reconnect your speakers and verify proper operation. Set crossovers and adjust levels for proper tonal balance.

I get all of that except for Step 4. Probe my amplifier outputs with what? is it talking about the RCA output from the amp? And where would I go about finding/downloading/making a test tone CD?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2489
Probe your amplifiers output voltage from the speaker terminal(s) on the amplifier. You will need a DMM (digital multimeter) to do this. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2088
Polo, why would he set his ssf to 25- 30 when his box could be tuned to 38 - 40hz. i know that the ssf can get rid of imperfections but i thought it was also supposed to not let the sub play anywhere more than 4hz (or so) below box tuning or the sub can loose damping and over exert easily, can heat faster, and also it could cause the spider to fail (has happened to me before).

is this 4hz or so also a rule??

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1308
I knew you were full of shi± and didn't know how to set your gain...the thing that really kills me is how people ask for help and then tell me they know what they're doing or how it's done.If you're asking for help then don't dare say you know what you're doing.

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 599
"AND SINCE I KNOW HOW TO SET A GAIN, SHOULD I JUST TURN BASS BOOST OFF AND ADJUST GAIN MYSELF?"

"I get all of that except for Step 4. Probe my amplifier outputs with what? is it talking about the RCA output from the amp? And where would I go about finding/downloading/making a test tone CD?"

im not sure i get it...the first paragraph u say u no how to do it then the second one you are asking help on how to do it...or at least thats how i understood it.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1310
^That's what's pissing me off...

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, USA

Post Number: 3073
www.j designs.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43
. . . . . ^with out that space

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2491
"Polo, why would he set his ssf to 25- 30 when his box could be tuned to 38 - 40hz. i know that the ssf can get rid of imperfections but i thought it was also supposed to not let the sub play anywhere more than 4hz (or so) below box tuning or the sub can loose damping and over exert easily, can heat faster, and also it could cause the spider to fail (has happened to me before)."

I don't know where you guys are getting this sh!t from? Why would you restrict a sub from playing its full range. Just because a box is tuned to a certain frequency does not mean it cannot play above or below the tune. think about it, if you have a 40hz tune and you want to set the SS to what 36hz and if what you said was true then you would have to set the LPF to 44hz! now what the fck you gonna hear in less than a full octave range? Listen to what I am telling you, a SS filter is only there to keep your sub bumpin the back plate during a pop in the music, look it up. The reason why it is there is because of the lack of accoustical suspension in a ported box, if a pop occured in a sub during while in a sealed enclosure it could rely on the accoustical suspension of the enclosure. Now adays most new good subs can play free-air and rely on there own suspensions and not on the enclosure. Now your sub may use more power above and below tune but that is to be expected. Polo..

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 341
Thanks Polo I understand it now.

As far as me knowing how to set the gain, I know how to do it from what I've read in the manual. What Polo has told me has nothing to do with setting the gain, he just told me how to test the volts what what the GAIN should be set at, instead of doing it by ear... which is a better method I didn't know about besides the one I read in the manual. HOW HELPFUL POLO! THX SO MUCH! VERY INFORMATIVE AS USUAL...

I'll get on this this weekend and figure it out. Polo where could I find a DMM and how much do they run?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2494
You may want to ask others here more electrically inclined. I myself use a Fluke SCopeMeter 196 but that is me I have a spending problem, lol. Polo. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 229
i have my gains set correctly and then i turned the bass boost up to 7 (out of 15) and my subs sound fine. actually they sound great. But i usually have my bass nob(i have a little 3 band stock eq in the dash) at half volume.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2497
It is ok to use some bass boost for songs that may be lacking responce. One thing you need to remember is that by using the BB it introduces MORE of a set frequency, say @ 40hz and doing this it oblongates the wave drawing more and more power to keep this wave in structure eventually limitation is hit and clipping becomes evident. So use BB with an EAR for the music and watch for distrotion. i drive around with the knob at hand, no punn intended, lol. Polo.. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us